The Random Randomness Thread Of Randomtivity

ya...I've wondered the same thing. In fact at one time I was going to invite Mr. Google to the cafe. He just seems to sit there and say nothin. Whats with that... :lol::lol:

No PM from him either Blim.... :( ......so I'm left out to. **sigh**

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sharks have to have salt water, or at least brackish water (mixture of fresh and saltwater, they can't live in fresh water. So you are safe Liz and sorry about the good eating Bozodog. Some shark fin soup would have been good

*notes to take salt shaker out to the lake next time. Oohh, a poker game after hours? What's the stakes? I wanna play.

Blim, those Chicago tourests will believe anything.. All they know is concrete, glass, and steel... Ahhh nature.

I try to relax even though I don't have the insoles.

The automated googlebot is watching us.............eep.........and you thought Carnivore was bad:-)

We should probably be well-behaved when it is present. macmarauder maybe you can create a googlebot detector alarm:-)

I'm being silly today.

* shhhh be very very quiet I,m hunting google bots hehehehehehe*

The last time I behaved it scared my mom so bad she slapped me(jk) :lol:

Well not really she did ask me to not do it where she could see thou....

I wear boots most of the time so I spend a few buck to get good one's they are great for my feet and and the support is good for spending a lot of time on my feet.

BTW I disslike inserts <_<

Yea Tenmm!!

Oh, that's right, I'm supposed to be vewy, vewy quiet.....*whispers*

I dislike Inserts, too! I was born with "flat feet" and back then, they corrected them using "arch supports". Not only was I the only kid in the world who did not own tennis shoes until I was ten, but to this day, I can't stand anything in my shoes!!

Liz

Augghhhh!!! There's a mouse bouncing and scratching around a heating duct in my basement!!! I hate mice. And dog is scared of them and laying on my feet. Sigh, I'll be up all night with her.......But at least it wasn't a bat (called Son home and he checked down there) I'm scared to death of bats!!! But the stoopid mouse is going to die in the heatvent and it'll smell and I (ok, Son) won't be able to get to it and I'll have to buy potpourri and there's nothing worse than an unreachable dead mouse till it dries up...... Augghhhhh!! :angry2:

Liz

I figure if Scotts weed and feed does not take care of any lawn problems then it;s tine for the Roundup,if roundup does not cut it then dig out the Krovar.....

blim is there any place in the duct you can get to??

If there is then use a mouse trap with bread on it.

The mouse will come to you :thumbsup:

Blim, ya just need a cat. Or a mousetrap will work fine. That critter got in there, he can get out. I suggest using peanut butter on the bread, they love it! The bouncing and rattling is him making a nest for winter and babies. Don't cha know they always move inside for winter.

They're making winter nests already???? Yuck!! I put some "special blue mouse candy" around the basement and with the recent rain (over an inch, yea!!) hopefully they'll find water easily outside and drink themselves to death. Now just to remember to empty the dog's water dish tonight before bed. But I suppose I should get a couple traps. That's where Son comes in real handy! :thumbsup:

Liz

Poor Liz, mouse is never a singular noun. So get traps, get son to set them all over the place. Good luck!!!

Old houses seem to have plenty of places for them to squeeze through.

Try to seal around the main entrance water pipe too as that, plus gas lines, is a common mouse entrance.

Remember the problems we had this spring? I sure hope no more come in for winter. Plus this summer we've had little tiny itsy bitsy ants on two different counter tops off and on. I think they came in with some sacks of groceries we set on countertop, as far as we could remember what we did just before they arrived the first day. It seems at times like they appear on counter out of nowhere, just a ramdom thing. I think they are gone for good then a few days later they show up again. Weird. I have this thing that any bug in house is a goner, well bees get a second chance if I can cup a glass over them with a cardboard or coaster to capture them to put them back outdoors. But every other creepy crawley flying pattering wild critter had better be ready to die. That's what cat says too, as she tells me to do them in after she finds them. HaHa!

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Pat, those tiny ants are meat lovers believe it or not. So sweet baits won't work. I use plain old Borac Acid powder. If you have big ants, mix it with a little syrup into a putty, use just a bit (about the size of a wooden kitchen match) and put in a few cracks and crannies. Make sure cat can't reach it. Do the same for those tiny guys, but use fat, like suet or bacon grease.

It's a poison they take back to the nest and feed their whole family with. Heh heh heh.... You can buy it at a drugstore. I have had the same can for 30 years. (a little goes a long way)

And you are right about old houses having holes everywhere for mices to get in. My place is about 100 years old and I'm still stuffing cracks and holes. That foam in a can is good, use fiberglass insulaton too. I turn my cats lose for a weekend in the "spider house" I keep my furnace and water heater in. Late August or early September is a good time.

I've been scratching my head over the mice deal as we've never, ever had them in Summer, usually only in the dead of Winter--and only once every five years to boot!!. But then I realized that they probably got in to escape the heat this year! I still can't figure out how they're getting in, though. Sealed every "visible" nook and cranny when I painted last summer. I'll have to look again, maybe some mortar around the fieldstone foundation deteriorated. Only thing I can think of. And I need to look in the basement, that's a good idea about the main water pipe, Pat--that is a very, very good possibility. Never thought of that.

With exception of occasional spiders, we are pretty lucky with bugs in the house (except one summer when everyone in the neighborhood had earwigs--ugh, they're ugly things) I grew up in a house in the woods that was apparently built in the middle of ant's migratory route and we had ants every spring. My mother is still angry about Chlordane being taken off the market!

Liz

Pat, those tiny ants are meat lovers believe it or not. So sweet baits won't work. I use plain old Borac Acid powder. If you have big ants, mix it with a little syrup into a putty, use just a bit (about the size of a wooden kitchen match) and put in a few cracks and crannies.  Make sure cat can't reach it. Do the same for those tiny guys, but use fat, like suet or bacon grease.

It's a poison they take back to the nest and feed their whole family with. Heh heh heh.... You can buy it at a drugstore. I have had the same can for 30 years. (a little goes a long way)

And you are right about old houses having holes everywhere for mices to get in. My place is about 100 years old and I'm still stuffing cracks and holes. That foam in a can is good, use fiberglass insulation too. I turn my cats lose for a weekend in the "spider house" I keep my furnace and water heater in. Late August or early September is a good time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info about ants being meat lovers. I didn't know that, though these also like yogurt!!! They treked from counter top to garbage pail just to feast on empty yogurt carton residue. Hard to get them out of that step on can. Sprayed vinegar whenever we emptied it, after washing it down with dawn. Finally that worked plus getting hubby to put the inner foil seal inside yogurt container and put lid on tight, (he has got the part of washing them out first! :rolleyes: )! Sigh!

I hadn't thought about using Boric Acid powder. Yes I bet that would work. I put it (dry) into the corners of cupboards, or shelves, where dry food such as flour etc is stored. Seems to keep the bugs away. Though occasionally, once every couple of years or so, I get a buggy bunch of cornmeal or whole wheat flour from store that needs to be thrown out container and all as I have never been able to eliminate those ...oh nuts... I was going to name them but now can't think of it. Sorry about that...senior moments... ugh! :rolleyes:

Liz look at house wherever wiring enters it too, both inside and out. Cable or satellite, phone, electric, gas, and as mentioned the water pipes. Though I never did find where ours came in this year. :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Dang, gals. Old houses have holes on top of holes. The biggest problem is where the "sill plate" (bottom of the outside walls) meets the foundation. Wood and concrete/stone/brick expand and contract at different rates. It is an area hard to get at and see. It's covered on the outside by the exterior siding and real tough to see the problem from the basement unless you get on a stool or ladder to be eye level with that joint. Another good way is to use a smoky incense stick on a windy day, look where the cobwebs build up, and even a good strong flashlite used by someone outside.

Get a good "mouser" sort of cat. Let it do what it does best.

My cat is a mouse notifier cat, she just tells me when there are mice to be dealt with, she says she does her part and the rest is up to us. Ha!

Yes the sill to foundation is another possibility. By the way, in earthquake country the advice is to use special bolts to fasten the two together so house doesn't move off the foundation. Now is code in many areas. We haven't done it, way to many other projects ahead of it, though I do have my water heater seat belt bolted to a huge post in basement. Yes I said seat belted. Took out a built-in dinette in motorhome years ago, didn't need 4 seat belts for 2 chairs, so used the belts to secure the water heater, free versus buying special straps. Also have my basement storage shelves screwed to posts too. But this house is a bad one for developing cracks caused by nearby, or even Western Washington, quakes depending on which fault lines they are on, so it would probably fall down on itself if we ever get a real bad one. Now a neighboring 1902 house, versus our 1919 one, has far less quake cracks then ours. We have quake insurance so that would help past the 10% deductible.

Ooops I just got kicked offline, the isp's four hour knockoff hit me, I'd miscalculated the amount of time I had left.

Sure hope computer doesn't lockup/freeze/crash like it has been doing lately.

So far so good, holding breath while I type.

Well I logged back online, and it seems OK...Praise God. It froze everything up for ages when knocked offline, then isp did an update after I called and complained and it was better for awhile, then it started doing it again this week. But it didn't do it this time!!! Yea!!!Remember to breathe now Pat!!! sigh of relief!!!

Wow! I just tried another page, and it is working OK. Praise God! and I am doing a Victory Dance here!!! :thumbsup: WOW!!! It's working right!!! WOW!!! Finally it is working OK!!! :thumbsup::lol::thumbsup:

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

Sorry folks just had to shout about it working right for a change!!!

I'm breathing such a sigh of relief over this. Am pretty happy and excited right now. Praise God it's working!!!!

Pat.

God bless everyone.

" I get a buggy bunch of cornmeal or whole wheat flour from store that needs to be thrown out container and all as I have never been able to eliminate those ...oh nuts... I was going to name them but now can't think of it."

Weevils, Millers or Flourbugs, Pat??? :) I know it depends on what your grandmother called them. Saw a garden sign once that said, "I Fear No Weevil". I'm not one for garden art (I have flowers, who needs more?), I'm but gonna make one of those someday....

I can't imagine having to belt your water heater down!!! A few years ago, there was a quake in MI, but it was "little bitty" on the Richter Scale, I think 3-5?? Do you remember, Bozodog?. It felt like 3 BIG trucks going down the road at the same time--but the noise was eerie.

*Happy Dance for Pat's Computer!!!!!*

Liz

You bet I remember the earthquake. Funny feeling, you don't hear it, nor do you really feel it. Kinda in between.

Oh Pat, you have a alarm cat huh? Sweet Brit says different breeds are better hunters. Our new kitten is a Ginger and he hunts everything! Dogs tails, butterflies, dust bunnies, and has just graduated to mice. Now I gotta convince him not to leave them on the table. Yuuukkk!