The Besttechie Cafe'

I haven't checked with hubby about this week's gas prices. It hasn't been as bad as other states. The news said the other day we had dropped down to number 4, usually we are in top 3.

As for driving, I don't know which is worse being in a little car, like our 1990 Subaru Justy where we could be totally turned into a pancake (have been rear ended, hit while stopped at a stop sign at an intersection waiting for traffic to clear...(car declared totalled by ins co but we bought it back for small sum and fixed the dents etc)...due to an impatient driver behind my hubby trying to push him out into fast busy traffic). Yet sometimes the small size works in our favor to move over enough to avoid an accident. Once with our first Subaru, we were able to avoid a terrible accident in progress, by driving up on the sidewalk just in time to stay safe. Have had similar times of close calls that only due to being in a small car let us avoid serious problems.

Then there is all the crazy stuff that happens when we drive the motorhome. It is a 25 foot class A (the big windshield and being higher off the road gives us better view of traffic which is good, and so scary sometimes!), so is not as bad as the huge ones for stopping or manuevering, but still it can't stop on a dime which is totally misunderstood by alot of jerks on the road. I hate the people who will endanger us, them, and everyone around, to pass us when it isn't safe (we do pull over to allow cars to pass as often as we safely can...not every place has enough room for us to pull over which does makes some people mad so they try to get even or lose their common sense or something?) What is so infuriating is they will endanger everyone by passing, then slow down fast right away to a stop to make a stupid left turn. Is there any sense to that whatsoever??? Did I mention also that the use of turn indicators seems to only be for the people who turn them on and then drive for 10 miles or longer with them flashing? Otherwise they don't seem to be commonly used by at least 50% of the people around the NW. It is like they want everyone to be a mind reader, then if you honk to tell them you had no warning they give you the finger.

Then as if things weren't bad enough on the roads around here, the county decided to make a law that adds extra penalty fines to Anyone Who Causes Someone Else To Retaliate With Road Rage :unsure::rolleyes::unsure: ...that is the wierd thinking in this metro area. So if someone decides he is having a bad day and everyone is in his way because he is late, so he rearends someone like my hubby at a stop sign waiting for a clear space in traffic to pull onto the busy road, then the poor jerk having the bad day can rearend our car and my hubby would be fined extra for causing the poor jerk to get mad at the delay. Luckily that law wasn't in effect when that accident happened. And no cops were called and no citations were given, and the fact the guy was driving his brother the insurance agents car without permission escaped punishment. But under this new law it could have gone against my hubby instead of the impatient jerk. This area is full of crazy laws and crazier drivers. I will be so glad to move away from here when we get to retire!!!

Got to have a cup (or the whole pot?) of coffee to calm down folks. sigh... :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning...

..OK...Really... i saw the posts about less then desirable drivers and i think i know the reason for the phenemenon you mentioned bar5. Drivers coming out of gas stations and then driving slooow are still in shock and some what suicidal after pumping $10.00 in to the tank and NOT seeing the gas gage move...  :blink:

Ya, you're probably right. Sticker shock.

I also see them driving along and decide I think I'll make a turn here. NO SIGNAL. Geesh, I left my crystal ball home, now why shouldn't I know what your intentions are. Grrrrrr!!!!!

I live in a very rural area, and they hardly ever use turn signals. If they decide they want to turn, just put on brakes and turn, and it doesn't matter if anything is coming the other way. So when I drive, not only do I signal my intentions, but have to be prepared what the one in front of me intends to do.

Sometimes frustrating, and sometimes comical. :huh::unsure:

Double up on the coffee. Haha

Barb :rolleyes:

here's what i don't get. i drive and work on Mikes amateur stock drag car, i build and race DJs Tuff Truck and i saw a woman driving today while using two cell phones at the same time. that just seams stupid to me. i surround myself with tons of sheet metal and steel preferably welded by me and feel safer going very fast in those cars on a track than on the road with her. :huh: i mean how, she must've been driving with her knees or something.

Ohhhh, cell phones and driving!!!! Got my kids tracfones for Christmas (for emergencies--and I'm cheap) Every time they call me I ask, "are you driving???" I saw a bumper sticker that said "Hang Up and Drive". I want one...Liz

And why is it, when your driving down the road. Some fool pulls out in front of you like hell itself is chasing them. And then drive half the speed limit???

Somedays, I can see where road rage comes from.

Think maybe I should get me one of them jeeps the "Rat Patrol" used to drive on the show.

Or maybe just a Kensworth to drive around....... But no. I see people treat them the same way.

The world is full of fools. And their out there driving around with 5 cellphones and only god knows what else.......... And they always seem to be if front of me.

Just had a gal recently drive off a bridge here in Portland, talking to her sister on a Hands Free cell phone, and not paying attention to the no lane change warning signs on steel gratings of bridge, plus it was drizzly wet. She took out a concrete railing and dropped 60 feet into the Willamette River. It is a murky, dark, cold river, with a fast current. Luckily her airbag went off, her windshield and side window busted open, and she stayed calm, and conscious.

The fire department and river patrol were called immediately. The paramedic fire department diver expected to be on body retrieval as usually happens. But the young woman was able to get out of her seatbelt and out of the car, where she swam to the surface and floated until he reached her. Unbelievably lucky, she only had cuts, scratches, and bruises.

A week or so later, she was invited to be on a boat in same area of river, as her car was raised up. Front and back ends crushed and so was the roof. She couldn't believe the damage, and that she lived through it with only minor injuries.

It only takes a brief second to be ok and gabbing on cell phone and be distracted, then in the river fighting for your life, perhaps taking others with you.

Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Thanks for the donuts Mac, I'll take a jelly filled with a large coffee.

The only bad thing I have going at the moment is two cars that don't want to run.

All the rest is good for now. Hpe I'm not jinxing myself

time for a change. can somebody talk about something good happening in their life.

PLEEEASE! :D Ohh the donuts are done. here's a fresh batch.

is anyone getting a nice chunk of change back from their taxes?

Had my tax's done a month ago,got enough back to plan a much needed vacation.

Will be gone for a couple of weeks,going south for those 14 days.

Mexico should be nice.

time for a change. can somebody talk about something good happening in their life.

Mexico should be nice.

Ahhhh! Mexico. Haven't been down there since my school days. Allot of good memories from those times. Wonder if I'm still 86 from that little canteena I used to like? Been almost 30 years. Should go down there and find out some time. But I'll almost bet they still have my pic. on the wall saying "DO NOT LET IN"..... LOL

Mexico should be nice.

________________________________________________________________________________

__

Quote JSKY  Posted on Apr 9 2005, 11:00 PM

Ahhhh! Mexico. Haven't been down there since my school days. Allot of good memories from those times. Wonder if I'm still 86 from that little canteena I used to like? Been almost 30 years. Should go down there and find out some time. But I'll almost bet they still have my pic. on the wall saying "DO NOT LET IN"..... LOL

Hey tenmm...

Sounds like a plan...Enjoy your vacation! :D

LOL JSKY...

They wrote a song about (gez whats that word ombras?) like you...Wasn't it Toby Keith that sang it?

"What happens down in Mexico ...Stays in Mexico... ;)

PLEEEASE! :D

Ok Macmarauder, hopefully this will get a few laughs. Today I was fiddling with the CD player in the "new to me" car.....not used to where everything is yet, and Son said, "well at least you're not as bad as Gramma and Papa"

A couple of years ago, my folks (the Punk Music Gramma....) got a car with their very first CD player in it. My sister bought them a CD so they could try it out.

A couple days later, Mom called, "I have a couple of questions about the CD player"

1. "When the CD ended, we tried to rewind it, but we couldn't find the reverse button"

2. "So we decided to listen to the other side. We flipped it over and put the CD in and nothing happened. Is it broken?"

Absolutely true story. And of course we still tease them about it! :P Liz

Mexico should be nice.

sweeeet! :D i'm so jealous. i haven't had a vacation in ...... well ..... never but if i did Mexico would be the place to go. congratulations.

PLEEEASE! :D

Ok Macmarauder, hopefully this will get a few laughs. Today I was fiddling with the CD player in the "new to me" car.....not used to where everything is yet, and Son said, "well at least you're not as bad as Gramma and Papa"

A couple of years ago, my folks (the Punk Music Gramma....) got a car with their very first CD player in it. My sister bought them a CD so they could try it out.

A couple days later, Mom called, "I have a couple of questions about the CD player"

1. "When the CD ended, we tried to rewind it, but we couldn't find the reverse button"

2. "So we decided to listen to the other side. We flipped it over and put the CD in and nothing happened. Is it broken?"

Absolutely true story. And of course we still tease them about it! :P Liz

LMFAO :lol::D:lol: my father jokingly still refers to them as mini LPs

thanks blim i needed that ;)

I think I'll have a Dr Pepper, if the cafe' has any.

Has anyone tried the new flavors of Dr Pepper? I have seen them advertised, but haven't remembered to look for them in the store. Maybe when it gets warmer.

I love that story about your folks and the cds, Liz. I think they are ahead of my hubby and I though.

I am so far behind the times that the only cd player I have is on this computer.

Our car is so old, 1990, that it doesn't even have a tape deck, let alone a cd player. As for dvds, a ministry sent me a free one, but I figure that's not enough of a reason to go out and buy a player just for it. HaHa! I am definitely dragging my feet into the late 20th century, and haven't a clue about the 21st.

My question is when we buy a new car, do they still have tape decks along with cd players? Because we have a scillion Christian teaching/preaching/gospel music tapes, that my hubby would like to listen to on his commute. At the moment he is using a inverter/small boombox to do it. (First setup of it was stolen out of car and I bet the thieves never even knew what the inverter was for, or the ionic air cleaner they took too.) Anyhow this works ok, and he can hide it under seat. But we don't want to convert all the tapes to cds if we get a new car.

Though if the car keeps on running without problems, maybe it will last until he retires!?! :unsure::rolleyes:

P.S. Already got our federal, state and county tax refunds, totaling enough to fund one of our IRAs for 2005 tax year. So that works out nicely. Though a vacation to Mexico, Canada, or even to the Oregon or Washington coast would be more fun. sigh!!!

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat