The Besttechie Cafe'

Hi Sidekickcat,

Yeah, I'm like your neighbor--once in a while one of the kid's "new friends" will actually ASK for a drink or something and I almost feel insulted, then introduce them to my kitchen!

And yes, smokers do go through the same as dieters!! Last time I tried to quit was when Son first started driving---WRONG time to quit!! I'm such a worrywart. I just hate the thought of them driving-its so dangerous! Bought both a Tracfone "for emergencies only" for Christmas (daughter quite doesn't understand that "emergency only" concept....) but what a piece of mind that is!

And as Barb wrote, walking is great!! Walking is just as good for you as running, just takes longer and its actually gentler on the bones. Make sure your posture is good when walking, though. My dog usually gets me out, but this winter has been too cold for the both of us!! Looking forward to the thaw.

And thanks, Robroy and Barb,

Your methods of cold turkey is exactly what I was thinking would work the best! This "weaning" thing isn't working. Hubby used Wellbrutin, but I don't like crutches and am a HORRIBLE medicine taker--I forget to take the stuff! Son's Morris Dance Troupe went to Denmark 2 years ago and I'm still kicking myself for lighting up after the 10 hour plane ride--worst was over by then! If you read the above note, just need to find a stress free time to do this (think kids will give up drivers licenses??)!

Liz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey rv, don't have that many pennies laying around. Nice axes tho.

Liz, there isn't going to be a stress free time to quit. Something always happens. You just got to get up one day and say today is the day, then do it. walking is good excersize, so is swimming (if warm weather ever gets here) thats even less stress on the joints and mine need very little stress. Good luck with getting kids to understand 'emergency only' mine never did.

JD

Hello again everyone.

Now to sit down with a steaming hot cup of coffee, and enjoy the boards. Was on earlier, but got sidetracked before I got to the cafe. So now I'm back for a few minutes.

Yes the walking thing is what I have been doing this winter. Only I do mine indoors.

I have a "Power Walker" glider type walker here in the computer room. Started out with just doing it while I was doing updates, if you have dialup you know how long that can take, now I do it other times too. My hubby started doing short exercise breaks, five or ten minutes at a time several times a day, so I also am trying that besides the update times. So yes I am getting stronger I think. So when does the weight start coming off???? Just kidding, I know I know it will take more than that to reduce. But it is a start. And I am eating less, so sooner or later I should notice some results.

Had a little talk with the Public Editor of our Oregonian newspaper today. Thanked them for putting in website urls. But asked if they could strive harder to get them right. Ha! Yesterday's paper had 3 different sites I was interested in checking out. One was right (the dog game), another had it right in the story but with capital letters for first letter of each word under the picture. The last article had it only upper case, and with a hyphen in midldle due to the line ending. I Googled for the right one on that one. The dual url story/picture one I called the number for that section/reporter and the guy who answered said the url should work both ways....lower case letters and upper case and anything in between, oh my!!! When I told him that was not the way urls work, he said ok but sounded like it was no big deal about getting it right, but he would look into it....though he did tell me which one was right one after trying it himself.

So I called the Public Editor and had a nice chat with him, said I wasn't computer literate or brave enough to check every option listed, that I just want them to do the right url only. He was very nice, and agreed with me. (I always think people are nice when they agree with me...Ha Ha!!! :rolleyes: ) Seriously, it is nice that they even have a Public Editor to call about problems in the paper, and second that they seem to care about fixing them. In fact it was due to, my and I assume many others too, imput that they started giving website info in the past year or two. It does pay to talk to them about what you think would improve the paper.

Well coffee is gone, and it is kind or late in the day for me to have another cup, so see you later.

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat,

Sounds like our area newspaper!! The Chronicle (or Comical as we refer to it) has a wonderful habit of printing only a portion of an article, leaving off in mid sentence or even mid word, and doesn't reprint themThe following day!! They say "Oh, you got the early edition, the afternoon edition is correct", Like I'm going to go out and buy another newspaper that contains "almost" the same exact thing???? (I would if the article was important to me, of course)

Our little weekly town paper, the Beacon is wonderfully written and edited--supplying only about 7000 people in our 2 neighboring small towns, it can be biased and letters to editor are sometimes ignored, but at least one can read an entire story! And if there is a goof, it is reprinted the following week.

I read somewhere that "multiple 5-15 minute" exercise breaks are just as good as one 30 minute break a day, in fact, I think the multiple sessions are better, seems like it would perk up your metabolism. You go girl! (and hubby, too!) Liz

when dealing with my addictions i just cheat. i call them hobbies instead. :D

Whoa...You must have really odd hobbies then :)...Then again, I'm not the person to talk..:lol:

By the way, those who are trying to lose weight: Drink water when you are on the computer. I always have huge bottles near me, and I drink water unconciously all the time. I know, you need to go to the bathroom a bit more, but you really do feel much better...I mean, I don't need to lose weight, but I do feel much more at ease...No more headaches due to dehydration!

Well. Some days, Just a ice cold glass of milk. One that I set in the freezer for about half an hour. That will get me through a nightly session. Mostly in the mornings I like about 2 pots of coffee......LOL

Since I get up between 5 and 6 AM. Now if I could convince myself to stop smoking a half a dozen before I go to work.

Been doing it for more years then I want to admit to. Said I would quite when a pack went up to a dollar....... Ya, Right.

So to all of you that have "Kicked The Habit" A Big Congrats.

when dealing with my addictions i just cheat. i call them hobbies instead. :D

Whoa...You must have really odd hobbies then :)...Then again, I'm not the person to talk..:lol:

By the way, those who are trying to lose weight: Drink water when you are on the computer. I always have huge bottles near me, and I drink water unconciously all the time. I know, you need to go to the bathroom a bit more, but you really do feel much better...I mean, I don't need to lose weight, but I do feel much more at ease...No more headaches due to dehydration!

I never thought of that. What a great way to get yourself to drink water.

Barb :o

Well. Some days, Just a ice cold glass of milk. One that I set in the freezer for about half an hour. That will get me through a nightly session. Mostly in the mornings I like about 2 pots of coffee......LOL

Since I get up between 5 and 6 AM. Now if I could convince myself to stop smoking a half a dozen before I go to work.

Been doing it for more years then I want to admit to. Said I would quite when a pack went up to a dollar....... Ya, Right.

Hey JSKY.........sounds like we have the same kind of daily startup....

(well.....except the glass of milk....)

But me thinks a change is in order soon..... <_<

Thanks murtu for the reminder about water, I do drink alot of coffee, but don't always remember to drink lots of just plain water too. It is good for those with back trouble too, and as you said helps with headaches, also good for the brain. Oh my, I wonder if that is what's wrong with my memory, not drinking enough water? :rolleyes:

Another thing I am doing is eating a lot of celery. I started it because I had real high blood pressure, and the "water pill" the Dr put me on made me extremely dizzy, faint etc. So I stopped it, and before my next appointment, I read an old pamphlet from a health newsletter that said eat 4 to 5 stalks of celery a day to lower blood pressure. Sure enough it works!!! My blood pressure is almost normal now. Wow!!! Plus all that celery fills me up so I don't eat as much.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement folks. I appreciate it alot.

As for those that have quit smoking I applaud you!!!

And for those who want to quit it, just go for it, we care about you and want you to be healthy and to stay that way. Having watched friends go through it, some repeatedly, it doesn't look like a picnic or stroll in the park but sure will be worth it to you in the long run. Better health long term, money saved, sense of taste and smell returned (or so I have been told), your house and clothes and car smelling fresh and smoke free. Sounds like good incentives to me, and hopefully to you too.

That is one habit I was fortunate to not start, saw what a damaged diseased smoker's lung looked like at an exhibit at the Western Washington fair as a kid, and vowed never to smoke. Which was good since I am allergic to it.

Nearly time for me to finish up for the night. See you all tomorrow.

God bless everyone.

Hey JSKY.........sounds like we have the same kind of daily startup....

(well.....except the glass of milk....)

But me thinks a change is in order soon..... <_<

hey Jsky and rv that sounded like me too before 9\1\04. The big day :lol:

up at 5, lots of coffee then work. I drink water or iced tea in the evening, no soda

I ain't gonna tell you that you can kick the habit, but I feel better ,food tastes better and the car don't smell of stale smoke when I get in it

take care :D

Ohhh Lordy. what have i started this time. ahh well, i'm gonna need more coffee. :D

BTW: Hitest, i just noticed your custom member status. Linux Expert. Good choice! two thumbs up fun_08.giffun_08.gif

Thank you, macmarauder.

I'm addicted to *nix, so I thought the title was silly and fun :D

AHHHHH! First cup of the day, I can see again.

I hear that, man!

It's not that I'm addicted to java beans............I mean, I can quit any time I want........really...........

(runs for another cup of steaming home brewed goodness) :D