The Besttechie Cafe'

Ok... who the heck is responsible for this? (MAC!!)

...BARRY-CALHOUN-CLARE-CLINTON-EATON-GRATIOT-INGHAM-IONIA-ISABELLA- JACKSON-KALAMAZOO-KENT-LAKE-MECOSTA-MONTCALM-NEWAYGO-OSCEOLA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... ALMA... BALDWIN... BATTLE CREEK... BIG RAPIDS... CHARLOTTE... CLARE... EVART... GRAND RAPIDS... GREENVILLE... HASTINGS... IONIA... JACKSON... KALAMAZOO... LANSING... MOUNT PLEASANT... ST JOHNS... WHITE CLOUD 408 PM EDT FRI APR 22 2005

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING TO SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH.

5 TO 8 INCHES OF HEAVY WET SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE WATCH AREA. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED ALONG AND EAST OF U.S. 127. NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE. THE COMBINATION OF THE HEAVY WET SNOW AND STRONG WINDS COULD CAUSE TREE LIMBS TO BREAK... CAUSING SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES.

I mean, what's up with that?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bozodog,

Where do you live? I'm in Montague (1/2 hour North of Muskegon on the lake). I heard south and east of us were going to get slammed with the white crap--usually its us lakeside northerers that get blasted. We're supposed to get 1-3. I sure hope it stays at WATCH, not WARNING. I agree, it STINKS, especially after the couple weeks of beautiful weather.

Ooooh, see folks, I'm not the only one bellyaching about Michigan weather!! :P

Son is coaching and refereeing Soccer games all day Saturday, and reffing 3 more games on Sunday. At least his sunburnt nose from last weekend won't get worse--but boy oh boy is he going to be cranky! Ah, yes, Spring Sports in winter clothes....

Hmmm, maybe Mac did do this after I labeled him harmless---I TAKE IT BACK!! You are mean and scary so give us back the nice weather!!.....please? :rolleyes:

And Handplane, you're a smartypants ;)

Liz

Hi Handplane,

Well what was going through my mind started with the word smart.....but maybe that word is not very appropriate for a forum. Right now I don't like Mother Nature :) But it is a compliment to your quick wit! Liz

And..........its snowing :(

I was checking the AccuWeather site earlier today, along with our local tv and Nt'l weather forecasters about our having possible thunderstorm today and tomorrow.

I also checked the U.S. weather map there, and it does look like you folks are in for a miserable storm. Winds and heavy wet snow do not bode well for trees and power lines. Stay safe folks. An Earth Day backlash???

AccuWeather Spring Snow Storm

Oh and since I can't view handplane's picture of the shadblow (serviceberry tree), though I can see the mother nature one, (I will never understand why some things work and some don't for me!) I Googled for it and here is a site with a picture of one. It looks like what Mom called a serviceberry bush in the wild. Pretty. It is the one on the bottom of the page.

Accent Trees

As for Mac being mean and scary....nah!

But....we do try to keep him happy! HaHa!

Speaking of thunder storms, I saw a news item last night on that spectacular display around Denver. Did you have it there too, Mac?

Strange weather year. Stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat,

Nice link on the accent trees!! Thank you. Learned a lot about Redbud. My sister brought me six from KY 5 years ago, where they grow wild. Got one to survive our winters (not really a cold weather plant--not even available to purchase up here) Finally bloomed last year and looks to bloom again this year....."my Kentucky Baby"

The snow stopped!! At least so far anyways, (thank you Mac) but the wind is howling.

Kinda late due to attending Son's indoor soccergame (never saw so many "cards" in one game, it was dirty but they won, and Son played clean), but Friday Night Pizza Buffet!! :)

Liz

Hi Robroy,

That's why I got the kids cheapo Tracfones :):) And that is a hilarious story!!! Wish we had Fire Brigades here in the States, Fire Department doesn't sound nearly as exciting as a Brigade!!

Liz

Well we had abit of wild (for here) weather yesterday afternoon and evening, and again earlier today. I had the computer unplugged (phone line to it too) just to be safe. I think that is the end of wild stuff, and back to just rain tonight and tomorrow, and then some nice weather for the week ahead.

I'm glad you liked the accent trees link Liz. I love redbuds, and wish I had planted one years ago. I have a beautiful Cherokee Chief Dogwood, and japanese maples etc, but need another small shade tree for front yard. Maybe I should still try for it?

Take care everyone, especially with all the wild strange weather around the country.

God bless everyone.

sorry about the weather guys, i accidentally blew a fuse at the house and things went a little nuts. ;)

i guess that there's some searches for the answers to the mysteries of the universe that just shouldn't be powered by a 220 outlet. :rolleyes:

hey handplane i liked that picture of mother nature. i still want to know what OS she runs and just how powerful that undo button is. it's extra funny cause she looks just like someone i know.

Hi Macmarauder,

So it IS your fault. ;) Holy Cow, every time I walk outside I get an ice cream headache. It's freezing! Thanks to the 40 mph winds the snow blew past us, though, so that's good. Even Bozodog only has about an inch--Son was in Kazoo last night. But Geez the windchills are in the low teens and it goes right through you!

Hi Sidekickcat,

Yeah! Go with the redbud....in fact with Oregon being warmer, it will have a better chance of survival. or a magnolia? (they are stunning this year more than most, the early warmup must have brought them out nicely)

Oh and a Blessed Passover to everyone, forgot to post this last night. "Why is this night different than all the other nights?"

Liz

My neighbor has 3 redbuds in her yard and they look great this time of year.

Mac leave the weather controls alone will ya, had flurries here today.

Liz I got my son a Virgin Moblie, the minutes are cheaper than tracfone

Hi Sidekickcat,

I saw the results of your weather on television (well, Northern California, so kinda your neck of the woods) Downed telephone poles and lots of destruction! Looked nasty. Assuming you didn't get any major damage??

Hi Robroy,

The Virgin Mobile phones came to our area just recently! Of Course! I figure when they lose or break their tracfones, I'll look into those. Or maybe have daughter replace hers--son rarely uses his phone but you know daughters......It may be worth it for her to switch! And flurries??? Ugh, I DO feel your pain!

Every year when my folks come up to MI from FLA, 2 sisters and I plan a prank. Last year we turned their bedroom into a Bordello (complete with red light bulbs in the lamps and a red bra for mom and thongs for dad) Today, we filled their yard with the ugliest, tackiest yard art that we could find (thank goodness for Fall Clearance Sales at the Dollar Store)--we have a "bending over bloomer lady" and a "bending over man with a plumbers crack" (we made those). There's sunflower spinny things, pink flamingos, gnomes, wooden tulips and a windchime made out of beer cans! Gad, their front yard looks horrible :D *Heeheeheehee....*Just hope it all doesn't blow away by Monday night!!

Gee Liz, I'm shivering cold just thinking about your wind chill back there.

Nope we didn't get much damage here, at least not that I heard about. A few trees down around the area. Lots of heavy downpours and hail, and lightning and thunder, especially Friday. Once, while I was fixing supper Fri. (on a stainless steel stove :rolleyes: ) I had the hair on my head and arms standing straight up, yet only saw a bit of lightning, but had the most beautiful rainbows against an ugly black sky to the east of us. The cat sure was upset, and her hair doing the same thing as mine, making her look twice her normal size. She went to the door and waited for papa to get home from work. I guess she thought it was my fault. Ha!

The east side of the metro area had the worst of it as they are nearer the Cascade mountains. Then on Sat it was heavy downpour showers, with some localized high winds, and that brought down a few more trees in the area. But not to much damage other than that in our area. But up in Central Washington, they had several reports of small tornados, and one did some damage to some trailers/mobile homes. I didn't hear of the Northern Calif problems, but I am not surprised as the storm was spinning off them and going counterclockwise around the low bringing it all up from south and east towards us, opposite of normal pattern. Nasty weather comes from that type system usually. By the way, the California border is 350 to 400 or so miles, I think, away from us.

Norton just notified me a couple of minutes ago, that it blocked a high risk trojan, checked the alert report, it was Back Orifice 2000. Scary! Sure glad it was blocked.

I have a neighbor with a magnolia, pretty tree, but messy when flowers drop. So if I ever add any more, I will go with the redbud. Also have to separate and move a Cherokee Chief dogwood that I layered a limb from a couple of years back. Have to talk hubby into digging a hole for me. That will go on the parking strip. Still not sure it wont be a bad drought year with water rationing. We have had some good spring rains lately, and made up quite a bit of deficit, but still 10 inches below normal for water year. So don't want to move the layered tree start, if we are to have water shortages. Plus getting kind of late to do it this spring, so maybe do it in fall. I think I just talked myself/us out of it for now...Ha! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
Last year we turned their bedroom into a Bordello (complete with red light bulbs in the lamps and a red bra for mom and thongs for dad)

Ouch Liz...that seems to be the scene for one of the cheezy horror movies though...hehe... :huh:;)

Transformers use to be the best toy in the world, until I got a computer. I still have quite a collection in the attic, if you want to come over and play sometime Bozodog, Mac. :P

I was reading about the very first collection created and the set of some of the Transformer toys were up in the thousands of dollars, even GI Joes where up there somewhere...OUCH...to bad my are in crappy kiddy condition...but it is alwasy fun to remember the good times I had with them... :D:lol:

**rolls box upon box of toys from the closet**, "I got some for everyone"

Last year we turned their bedroom into a Bordello (complete with red light bulbs in the lamps and a red bra for mom and thongs for dad)

Heh heh heh, the fun thing is when you take into the fact that they are 72 and 74 years old :P

Sister and I went to add a couple more items to the Parent's yard today, and guess what? PEOPLE ARE ADDING STUFF!!! There was an addition of a wooden green rabbit and a ceramic Blue Boy to the yard! Have no idea who the "adder" is, probably a neighbor, but isn't that hysterical?

Liz

Oh, Robroy,

You can read me like a book :P . (I was laughing at your post and had to tell Son why....he "says" he knows how to do that, we'll see) Plan on taking some pics tomorrow morning (waiting to see if anyone else contributes) but have 21 pictures left on the camera--might be a while, but will do. One sister already took some pics, will see which roll of film gets developed first--I already told her I want a print :)

The real test will see how many swear words will come out of my Dad's mouth when he pulls into the driveway!! The more cussing, the better we did. Mom will give us the curse count, I'm sure. We sure are evil, aren't we???

And Vile_Dr---transformers are worth money now??? I'll have to dig through Son's toybox to see if any are left or if they all dissapeared into the depths of the long gone sandbox. (20 years old but still has his toybox....oi vey) Guess they are "More than meets the eye" Besides, the original transformers were MUCH better than the "modern" transformers! Wonder about Power Rangers?

Liz

Oh, Robroy,

You can read me like a book :P .  (I was laughing at your post and had to tell Son why....he "says" he knows how to do that, we'll see) Plan on taking some pics tomorrow morning (waiting to see if anyone else contributes) but have 21 pictures left on the camera--might be a while, but will do.  One sister already took some pics, will see which roll of film gets developed first--I already told her I want a print :)

The real test will see how many swear words will come out of my Dad's mouth when he pulls into the driveway!!  The more cussing, the better we did.  Mom will give us the curse count, I'm sure.  We sure are evil, aren't we???

And Vile_Dr---transformers are worth money now???  I'll have to dig through Son's toybox to see if any are left or if they all dissapeared into the depths of the long gone sandbox.  (20 years old but still has his toybox....oi vey)  Guess they are "More than meets the eye"  Besides, the original transformers were MUCH better than the "modern" transformers!  Wonder about Power Rangers?

Liz

first of all i'm really sorry but ewww. (72 and 74)

secondly sounds like a ton of fun. should we start a curse pool? ;)