The Besttechie Cafe'

Hello All,

Raked today at Parent's house--The snowbirds are due in a week after 6 months in Fort Myers, FL (lucky ducks!) They only have a couple of pear trees but the lot next door has huge oak trees and with Michigans wind.....Tomorrow I start spiffing up their house--no dead mice this year, yea!--Hubby and Son are especially glad since I make them go over to "dispose" of them, I won't touch them. I can change poopy diapers, clean the worst mess, but dead mice, forget it!

Thought of Macmarauder today--a link on Einstein-- Didn't understand most of it, but bet you will!

Taco Salad Tonight (made with ground turkey and chili beans for extra protein) --forgot to take something out of the freezer.

Oooh, SuperNanny's on..."you've been very naughty!" I get a sadistic kick out of that show.

Liz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the link blim. you know what though, give me the complexities of the universe over the complexities of the woman mind any day. :rolleyes: now that's a real challenge. ;) i think you guys have the secrets of the universe hidden inside there and just don't want to let us in on the secret. :DB)

Good morning everyone...

6a.m. and off to work.....thought I would stop in for a quick java first.

Have a good day everyone and lets be careful today.... ;)

*did the morning paper come in yet? <_<

thanks for the link blim. you know what though, give me the complexities of the universe over the complexities of the woman mind any day. :rolleyes: now that's a real challenge. ;) i think you guys have the secrets of the universe hidden inside there and just don't want to let us in on the secret. :DB)

Like I always say when folks cautiously tell "Religious Jokes", It's obvious that God has a great sense of humor!! *hint* think sweets, shoes and remember to say those magic words, "I'm sorry, you're right". First step to have her on your side!

Boy this place gets busy between midnight and 3 am (MI time) Gives me my first laugh of the day :D

Off to clean the cottage.... Liz

Hello everyone,

Anybody want to have a glass of orange juice with me? I thought maybe some oj would revive my tired muscles.

I spent several hours today sorting out junk out of one corner of one room in the basement. I admit I am a terrible packrat, but have been trying recently to learn to let go of stuff.

By the way, a tip to anyone contemplating such a job, do not I repeat do not drink two pots of coffee and decide to work in a basement that has no bathroom. I sure got a lot of stair stepping exercise today!!! :rolleyes:

Why did I ever want to save so many little boxes for Christmas gifts? I had boxes inside of boxes inside of boxes inside of boxes etc.....yikes! And it seems to me I never did remember to reuse any for giving, just added to the pile every year. Always seemed like a good idea to reuse them, just to absent minded to do it. So out to recycling they go.

Plus started to fill a sack with stuff to send off to Goodwill.

So hope to keep up the sorting and getting rid of stuff until we reclaim the house from the stuff that overtook it over the years.

I peaked into hubby's workroom, yep he's caught the packrat bug from me. :rolleyes:

When we were first married, I could never understand him going to the store for one little pack of screws, or a couple of washers, etc. I had been raised to save all useable parts before throwing something out. (Of course living out in the country as a kid, and being poor, had alot to do with not going to the store for odds and ends all the time!) So I taught hubby to tear down worn out things for good parts, and to make do by jerryrigging stuff to fix things with what was on hand. But now that I look at his workroom, and think about the stuff in the sheds, motorhome mini-basement storage compartments etc; it looks like I taught him to well. Though he is now almost more inventive of salvage part solutions to repairs then I am, sure never would have guessed it 35 years ago. HaHa! It has saved us alot of money, and wasted trips to hardware stores...which are few and far between now that big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes have driven out even other big box stores, let alone the little neighborhood hardware stores.

So once my side of basement is cleared out, then hubby and I will start on his, at least to organize all the stuff so we can find it easier when we need something. Just don't tell him I said that. Ha! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

know the feeling all too well, we are spring cleaning too. We also have the same problem with those gift boxes. Never reuse them even though that's the only reason for saving them

Lol

Anybody want to have a glass of orange juice with me? I thought maybe some oj would revive my tired muscles.

I spent several hours today sorting out junk out of one corner of one room in the basement. I admit I am a terrible packrat, but have been trying recently to learn to let go of stuff.

throw stuff away! <_< NEVER!! you never know what you can make until you stare at a pile of junk, and then start putting things together. as a huge pack rat of another kind i almost have my own junk yard in the back. you would not believe how many uses i can find for junk but i totally understand. :)

BTW i'll take a glass of that OJ.

Good Morning all,

Thought I would pop in here and leave you with a quote for thought. You won't find it in any books, except mine, which isn't published yet, but if you wouldn't mind, comment tell me what you think...no response is a bad response...your feelings your matters, no disses...

"Perfection: Only Blamed, Never Believed" :)

"Perfection: Only Blamed, Never Believed" :)

Vile_Dr, I think the same can be said about mothers!! :D (although I DO say, like Mary Poppins, "I'm practically perfect in every way") And get started on that book, you have a gift!

All this talk about cleaning basements--nothing works like an overflowing water heater---ugh!--summer before last, the water heater flooded, the washer overflowed and the toilet did a Niagra Falls impersonation all in the span of 2 weeks! At least with the basement, I declared a Family Emergency and made the whole gang help clean up ;)

I make Christmas wreaths for my Florida and Arizona relatives (expensive and stale for them to buy and I can give the same gift every year!!) I spend all year trying to find the right size boxes, so I have my stash of boxes, too. (although after the water heater fiasco, I keep them up on a ledge!)

Danish Stew Tonight (OK, I don't know what it is, had it in Denmark :) --beef, beef smoked sausage, green beans, gravy served over rice)

Shadblow Tree is blooming!!

Liz

Hi folks,

Sitting back resting from another round of basement work, and enjoying my orange juice, but need to thaw some more out. I get cravings for oj every few weeks, must need the Vitamin C?

Made some progress on the junk sorting today. Can now see the far wall of that room, can't get to it yet but I will.

Thankfully all the spiders I've found down there so far are dead ones. I sure hate spiders. Was bitten when I was a kid and nearly died from a black widow spider bite, so ever since then I don't want anything to do with spiders ever!!!

There was a nice note to "Back Fence" (one of the best parts of the Oregonian paper. Back Fence is focused on sharing/helping/thanking others for pay it forward type things), from a lady who was very scared of spiders, had one start to crawl across the inside of her windshield while she was going across a bridge. It scared her so bad she pulled car over and sat in a panic afraid to move for fear the spider would jump at her. A Portland motorcycle cop came to her rescue and got into the passenger seat and killed the spider for her. Bless that cop is all I can say!!! He would be on my hero list forever!!!

Back Fence article in Oregonian about lady rescued by cop from spider

Liz I can sympathize with you over flooded basement. Wow what a streak of bad luck to have so much plumbing trouble in such a short time.

Our least favorite thing to do is plumbing of any kind. And it seems like we end up doing alot of drain cleaning/clearing all over the house.

Have had the washer flood many times (that part of sewer hates soap!), usually just a small area. But once in awhile it is a major one.

Old house built in 1919 and the sewer lines probably need a redo. Trouble is that would mean digging up the basement. $$$$$$$ Well let's just say we hope to sell first and let the next people deal with it. Sigh.

In the meantime we try to keep an eye on the washer. Plus now things are sitting on 2 by 4's or on shelf units, so if it does flood much the stuff wont get wet. We pretty much know which direction the water goes on the uneven concrete, so we can quickly sop it up or block it most of the time.

In spite of that occasional problem with washer not draining right, it is a relatively dry basement.

Oh before I forget it, Liz what is a shadblow tree?

Dr Vile, you said "Perfection: Only Blamed, Never Believed",

I would say instead, "Perfectionist Always Blames, Never Satisfied", if that is the train of thought you are aiming for.

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat (and anyone else who is curious :) )

A Shadblow tree is also called a Shad Tree, Shadbark, Service Berry or Juneberry (thanks to a recent article in the paper!). It looks like a wild cherry tree (medium sized tree with white blossoms) but blooms earlier and instead of the blossoms being small and in clusters, the blossoms are about the size of a forsythia blossom and spread throughout the tree. When the blossoms are "done" and the wind blows, it looks like its snowing (I don't particularly like that reminder!). It gets red-violet berries which the birds love, guess humans can eat them too, they supposably taste like blueberries, though I save 'em for the birds. They usually grow wild in meadows but I dug one up for the backyard. Shadblows were my grandmothers favorite and their blooms always remind me of her :)

Black Widow Spiders??? *shudder* That's one good thing about living in Michigan---most poisonous spiders can't take the winters. I just squish the darn things.

The ironic thing about my plumbing adventures was that the sewer and water lines had nothing to do with the floods, the lines are only 20 years old---just the individual appliances :angry: A rock from the fieldstone wall behind the heater fell on the darn thing after a newly installed hole was put in the wall for a new furnace duct, the toilet was clogged with lime (just old) and the washer's water level "sensor-thing" broke :angry: !!!! The kicker was each of these things cost less than deductable on house insurance. Bah!! :angry::)

Liz

Bearskin, I think that was me. Heres a new batch with fresh coffee

Liz, thats always the way. Nothing is ever more than the deductible, they go wrong in a minimum group of three and are not related so you can't claim. Every time we try to save for a vacation something like that seems to happen.

shadbarks do look pretty when they are blooming.

Liz,

It is very true in the comments about mothers. Even in the heat of a battle, they will be the first to throw down and make it right. B)

SidekickCat

You definitely are seeing things in a different light. Most people say nothing is perfect and it is impossible to be perfect. Although the people who are never satisfied end up being the one's with some type of mental disorder (i.e. complusive, schizophrenia). Don't get me wrong they aren't all like that, but develop sometype of eppidemic that makes them unhappy their entire lives. ;)

Robroy

It is a place in your mind. A view to which every bit of light touches the corners and the holes. Nothing is without seeing. It is both the place at which you stand as well as the state of mind you create. "Belief in knowledge only makes you stronger" B)

Perfection: Only Blamed, Never Believed.

Think about it this way. You come across an individual (male/female) and have great times together. You develop a relationship, love, marriage, even further a family. During this time period you are intrigued with this love you have "created" and can't stand to be in different "places." When you both sit down and have the "feelings" conversation, the phrase, "You are perfect," or something similar, is releaseby your mouth to the receipent ears. Stating that means you are blaming the individual for being perfect in every way you see desirable. Although this makes for a great scene into a romatic kiss, the person you told reveils a flaw in their perfection. They don't believe they are perfect, they start questioning whether they do this for you, make you feel things, spend enough time with you, think about the future...all things that contridict the feeling they or you have at that single moment. At first it isn't apparent to either individual, because you, on the first hand, believes your 'love is perfect where as they won't believe the same mannerism about the feelings. B):)

That is just a single example that set differences between individuals, but you can relate it to any tasks, to any steps you take. Having a baby, being born, getting to the top of a ladder, realizing a dream, and in Mac's case, being an evil genuis :blink::D . It is all preception, based on the feelings that you feel in words.

Of course this is my personal oppinion and don't mean to intrude an anyones personal/professional views. I don't take any hardship to any comments given or hold grudges for that matter, but leave me a peice of your mind "For Even a Stranger can Know me Best!!" :blink::P:P

I brought some donuts for your Bearskin, but I don't think they will last long in this crowd...hehe :P

this is a post just for the lurkers here, HELLO :lol: (waves to the lurkers) , to the people who help make me paraniod :unsure: and those who drive me crazy :wacko: to you i say that there's nothing under this thread :D really nothing at all to be concerned with :D:):o (load thumping noise) :blink: BTW does anyone here have a tranquilizer gun that i can borrow? (load wood breaking noise) :huh: ............

In the Movie "Old School" when Will Ferral Shoots himself with the Tranq gun, I couldn't stop laughing...i thought it was just great how that happened and how he played it out....

Hi Handplane,

Yes that picture does look like Shadblow, although the pic looks like an old scraggly one..I googled "Service Berry" and the botanical name isn't the same so don't eat the berries if you have one near you. Don't want you getting sick! :)

Waves hello to the lurkers, too--be brave, come join us, Macmarauder is harmless--took me a long time but worth signing up!

"Boys night" at the house, so tonights special is spaghetti, salad and garlic bread. Teenaged boys always seem to know when I go grocery shopping. Dog is getting lots of playtime with the ball (boys like to play rough! Yippie!) She'll sleep all day tomorrow.

Liz

Waves hello to the lurkers, too--be brave, come join us, Macmarauder is harmless--took me a long time but worth signing up!

i can be mean and scary :(

(makes mean and scary faces at the lurkers) :o:P<_<

RRRRR! RRRR! RRRRRRRRR!

(looks around and sees that nobody is even the least bit scared) -_-

ah well i tried. :D

BTW:

thanks guys for all the congrats on making it to 1,000. but remember that it's not your post count that matters it's the quality of your post and the friends you make along the way. i've gotten emails before from several of you here and once in a great while i even get a lurker through my site that let me know that you like my crazy humor. to you i say that i solute you for braving the wasteland of the internet to come here and hangout. i'll end me sappy acceptance speech for silliest poster on BestTechie with free iTunes for everyone. :D