The Besttechie Cafe'

Hello Everyone,

Stopped by for some of cafe's good hot coffee, (mine is lukewarm, and zapped in microwave once already...! ugh.)

Blood pressure monitor is still iffy, or else my BP is iffy??? :unsure:

Almost normal today, after being higher yesterday but still not as high-medium as Monday's "official" readings. So is it this monitor, or cuff size thing, or am I varying 20 points a day? Now why did I think that getting one of these things would be a steady reassurance to me that things were better??? :unsure:

Liz, the Dr Whitaker newsletter booklet says to eat 4 to 5 large stalks of celery a day to reduce the blood pressure. And that was working great for the first month to six weeks. But then it started back up again, partly due to stress...and forgetting to eat my celery everyday. :rolleyes: So now I am back to chomping away on it. So Liz, tell your Mom to try it. Nope I don't know if it can be in alcoholic or otherwise drink form....though the drink might keep her from worrying about it.... :rolleyes:. Also don't know if cooked celery, as in soup or stir fry, has same effect. If your Mom tries it though, have her monitor her BP often since she is on meds, as it dropped pretty fast for me when I started it, like to near normal in a week, from top number of 145 or so and even as high as 175 at times, down to 120 or there abouts. Now it is back up to 140 range officially at Kaiser and on my kooky BP monitor while at Kaiser (but 20 points or more lower earlier at home) on Monday, to 134 yesterday, today it was 122.

So who knows what it really is??? :unsure::rolleyes::unsure:

Mac can you turn that missile towards that mail delivery challenged mailman of ours? He is now wearing a P. O. uniform so that means he is off probation. (still sloppy looking with shirt hanging out over his shorts). And whoever said overweight people can wear shorts gracefully is wrong! Now don't get mad at me for that...I am overweight too and I wont wear them myself even inside my own home, and sure wouldn't think they would be professionally appropriate for work, but things are different nowadays I guess where anything goes. He is a bit neater looking without the plaid shirt, and raggedy knee jeans though. And my mail is no longer sweaty!!! Haven't talked to neighbors the last couple of days to see whether problems are continuing. I only got magazines today, no first class mail or junk mail which is rare. So the question is did my other mail go astray, or is he holding it for later in week, or is it just a rare day I didn't get anything but a couple of magazines??? :unsure:

Liz, I think I read awhile back that you were talking about one of the kids taking tests for scholarship? help? If so, you might be interested in this U.S. News magazine page. I read some of it from a special in the April 18th, issue which seemed to be the best series I've read in years. This page seems to have those articles and alot more for anyone interested. Tells things to do, and not to do, even years in advance of college expenses.

U.S.News mag for info on paying for college

Gee I have been gabbing so much my coffee is cold now. So I'll take a new cup to go while I read the boards.

Mac, I am sure your next installment will have us all sitting on edge of chair from suspense from where it will land, and if it is a "surgical strike" on Liz's computer.

If it hits it's intended target, the Gateway, will her home owners insurance cover the loss? :unsure::rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

keep going Liz, you are doing good. Mac you should be writing for tv, you have a much better imagination than those sorry script writers who keep producing the same over used jokes on the sit coms.

Don't think I have met anyone who got real helpful support from gateway or dell. I know I bought a dell for my son several years ago , it worked fine for 4 months ,then one problem after another, and no help from the dell tech. They kept trying to tell me that it was a virus when the problem was bad memory.

Hi Mac....

Hope I didn't put you in a spot for wondering about Act II.....heh...but you delivered... :D...excellent...

Robroy...you're right...Mac should write for TV... ;) ... and add to his many talents(*although me thinks Mac could have "Multiple Personalities"...hmmm)

Sidekickcat....celery for high blood pressure?...will have to try that...thanks for the tip.

I see a fresh batch of coffee is on.....hmmm...*found a jelly donut...looks left,right...takes donut...mmmm*... :)

MAC what do you do for a daily job?  I mean no offence or any disrespect, but you definitely have a quality imagination that is definitely admirable and I am just wondering if you are some type of programmer or story teller...

no offense at all. i already know that i'm a mystery wrapped up in an enigma hidden in a New York chili dog. thanks guys, i'm just glad everybody liked it. if you must know i'm currently unemployed. i own a patent or two and get some royalties that i've been living off of and i do some freelancing work for a couple of companies in town. mostly multimedia developing, programing, graphic arts, engineering, custom machine work, hotrod building, and building any and all the fool things that i come up with. *sigh* it's a living until i find another real job.

if i had to say that i was something i'd have to say an inventor. but nope, i never been a writer. sometimes like when writing Act I and II i think that ideas leaking out of my head and i have to dip a quail pen in my ear and write it down as fast as i can before i forget it all. also yes i have multiple personalities, but unfortunately they are all me. :o:o

Well it is definitely a cognitive to learn that entertainment can be found in the most real and unreal (the internet) environments, although the internet is very much real. I once started writing a book about my high-school choices and lifes development and future consequences when I was 17. I haven't given up on writing the book or stopped writing it for that matter, but the full-time job is slowing things down a bit. They say a good book is anywhere from 10-15000 words, without doing a rough guess, I should only have to create a end for the book and then I can work on making it published, if I so choose.

But with that, everyone here has given me inspiration to continue my long nights infront of my computer typing away and editing the desprencies in my writing.

And maybe I can provide an inspiration quote/thought to help preceive the next day to follow your hearts!

"Creation isn't something made, it is the craftsmanship of relativity, existance, and faith. For man's dream isn't to own the whole, but interact with every bit of it."

Well it is definitely a cognitive to learn that entertainment can be found in the most real and unreal (the internet) environments, although the internet is very much real. I once started writing a book about my high-school choices and lifes development and future consequences when I was 17. I haven't given up on writing the book or stopped writing it for that matter, but the full-time job is slowing things down a bit. They say a good book is anywhere from 10-15000 words, without doing a rough guess, I should only have to create a end for the book and then I can work on making it published, if I so choose.

But with that, everyone here has given me inspiration to continue my long nights infront of my computer typing away and editing the desprencies in my writing.

And maybe I can provide an inspiration quote/thought to help preceive the next day to follow your hearts!

"Creation isn't something made, it is the craftsmanship of relativity, existance, and faith. For man's dream isn't to own the whole, but interact with every bit of it."

see now that's actual writing especially the quote at the end of your post. is it yours? what i do is just try to type the drivel that leaks out of my head.

ohhh and BTW i forgot to mention that i'm a insomniac workaholic without a job. so i always have to find alot of stuff to do to keep myself busy.

macmarauder Posted on May 5 2005, 10:59 AM

see now that's actual writing especially the quote at the end of your post. is it yours? what i do is just try to type the drivel that leaks out of my head.

Yeah that's mine...I did a lot of reading when I was just a few years younger and got real heavy into Robert Frost, William Shakespear, Edgar Allen Poe, and many others, although peotry, they all tell a story, a meaning in what they saw as and in life. That is my I pay attention to what people say, write, express..."Imagination is Everything", that isn't my quote, but it came from an Anonymous Writer, who had the same infliction with life that the above writers did. Although Shakespear didn't end his life that way, the other authors commited suicide believe their personal "aura" would envlope more than the sense of being alive. It is argued in many writing styles, teachers, Psychologists that they were skizo's and commit the hanice departure because the wanted to be done with living, but I am on the opposite side.

When you listen to someone talk, tell a story, for instance. They give you the details that may not be the most important to you, but it is words for the senses they interact with, so you have the chance to re-live the moment, just for sec. That is why when I read your ACTs, MAC, and how LIZ is trying to get a better understanding of not only what the computer is doing and does, but WHY. Samething with RV56 and SIDEKICKCAT and the bloodcontrol celery sticks...it is how the story is told. There is so many more influences to keep Imagination/Passion alive. That's atleast the way i feel...that is why every on this forum and the other forums across the internet, jump to help the ones who need it. Strangers becoming emotional (not teary-eyed emotions) about the stories they are interacting with to better help the individuals through they "rough" chapters.

I know i have kinda gone into the deep-end, and i apologize for the rambling :rolleyes: . I get really passionate about writing/reading and letting expression get the most of me, that is why when you describe the simple acts of a "mission-based" assignment releasing those

macmarauder
leaks out of my head
type of stories have us all entertained. Even in the support forums, the inspiration to help another person to fix an issue that they may not understand, or ask for a simple "link" to something more intriguing makes us all story tellers and writers. :)

"Neither he nor she, power nor grace, matter nor mind will change my ways, but your words will influence them"

There are a LOT of terrific writers on this board--I like the "trained writing", the "head leaks" and the "gabbies" :D

Something buried in Montague?? Maybe thats why my address doesn't exist in Google's satellite pictures--sure hope you used Terraservers directions, Macmarauder! And compliments to spelling Montague correctly--the telemarketers are hilarious when they try to pronounce it--"Montag, Montage and my favorite, Montagkwee". Of course I wait for them to attempt the pronounciation :P Apparently none of them ever heard of Romeo and Juliet....

Thanks for the Belarc info, Barb, I remember reading that it was updated and was wondering what it was--looks like a handy little tool and the link explained it very well!

Sidekickcat, that is a great link--I'll poke into it a little further when I get a little more time. And I'll let my mom know about the celery, thanks!

Busy day today--shopping for Son, running Son to doctor this afternoon (kink in his neck), making sure Son gets off to his soccergame on time and Mother-Daughter Banquet at church (which is a pain since I have to make dinner for the boys before I leave...)! Meanwhile, better become bonded to the vacuum cleaner......

Realized I haven't cooked here in a while--Home made chicken vegetable soup (I make killer soup)

Liz

I love that picture Mac!!! I laughed 'til I nearly choked on my celery! :rolleyes:

I always thought that babies should be fed in a tub/shower, then just shower off the mess the easy way (snicker)!!! But most mothers I ever mentioned that idea to thought it would be the wrong thing to do. (Though I bet they privately considered it a few times!!!)

By the way, I am not a mother just part of the village, as in 'it takes a village to raise a child.'

Liz, I hope your son's neck is ok! Kinks are so uncomfortable!!!

Oh and I hope your dental appt went ok the other day, we are scheduled for a once every 2 years "deep cleaning", whatever that is versus regular cleaning, June 9th, I think.

Have fun at the mother/daughter dinner at church. Nice thing for a church to do to celebrate families!

Dr V. I agree that doing lots of reading, from the clasics to message boards, is good fodder for composing one's own stories.

As is being very observent of the "human condition". Almost need to mentally immerse yourself in the scene by mentally stepping outside of it, to truly observe it. I imagine that is what painters do too.

People watching is a fun hobby, even on an informal basis, not just for story material. I love people watching as much, or even more, than getting in the middle of the scene myself.

We go out to Home Town Buffet every now and then, and I especially like to watch the kids there. Recently a one year old had me in stitches. He was so interested in everyone and everything, that it seemed like his head was on a swivel, as he turned from side to side watching one stranger to another. But he was absolutely enthralled with a little girl of about 2-3 years of age, who had discovered how to use the soft ice cream machine, and was making good use of that knowledge before her folks stopped her after the 3rd or 4th trip. The baby was interested in both the girl, and the ice cream cones she walked around with. His face was so expressive, seemed like he was saying to himself, 'just you wait lady, I'll be able to get out of this bumper seat any day now, and be able to chase you around the restaurant and swipe one of those ice cream cones'. He also made eye contact with every person going back and forth, or at the nearby tables. Sort of seemed to be sizing them up as to potentially usefulness to his (political?) agenda or not. Some only got a cursory glance or two, then on to next one who might get a long stare, then check out the couple having a fight at a nearby table...'nah they just aren't paying any attention to what is important here...me!, so oh my gosh did you see that man with TWO loaded plates... do you think he will give me some'? And so it went all through the meal.

It was hilarious to watch him, and of course I was giving a running commentary to my husband on what I thought the baby was thinking as he swiveled from one to another. My conclusion is that the kid will be a politician someday, starting in preschool. :PB):rolleyes:

Ok switching my own gears here. I was mistaken about the mailman yesterday, it was not the delivery-challenged man. Remember folks I am near sighted here, so forgive me please. Same size/build though, but with a uniform.

Today the problem man was on, no holes in jeans but same old sloppy plaid shirt hanging out. Left my mail (a neighborhood newspaper and a first class letter) teetering on edge of mailbox without even the lid touching it to hold it down, instead of putting it inside box. A puff of wind would have sent it flying, to floor of porch or worse. I called the P.O. (sad when I am now on first name basis with two levels of supervisors there now!!!), and told them what was going on today and finally also told them of Saturdays delivery to me of someone's outgoing mail.

Liz is right about the disabled thing being harder to fire someone who is than someone who isn't. So we have 3 more weeks of this, and they want Everyone to call in so they can have a full file of delivery mistakes to use against him to fire him at end of probation. (What do you bet he will either fight it, or do something even worse closer to end of the 3 weeks? I have such a bad feeling about this guy, ever since I first saw him!!!) Anyhow I told the person I talked to today, that it was scary to think of our mail being possibly misdelivered to someone who isn't trustworthy. I said I shouldn't have to be praying for the safe delivery of our mail, but am doing that now. He said please do continue to pray, not just in this situation, but always for them all. I pray for the fire department, police, and ambulances when I hear the sirens, but hadn't thought to pray for the P.O. folks. But they too have dangers, from anthrax scares (Salem recently), to dog bites, to falls, to thieves etc. Lightbulb moment there, on people to add to my list. (Yes folks, you all are on my list already.)

Well here I am gabby as usual, sigh. :rolleyes: See you later folks.

Thanks for the dinner offer Liz, sounds good, but already have a pot roast started for dinner.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

sniff, sniff,

aha chicken soup cooking somewhere, but wait, sniffs again......

pot roast cooking too

no wonder I can't lose weight, all this food around here

Love the pic Mac

tenmm you have the right idea

grabs another spoon

Hello All!

An amusing story from our newspaper--Benton Harbor, MI marching band planned on performing the song "Louie, Louie" (or "Louie, Lou-I") in the Benton Harbor Floral Parade Saturday. One of the parents complained, saying the lyrics were "raunchy"--which led to the school superintendent ordering the band not to perform the song, even though the band wasn't going to sing it.

Apparently, the lyrics are a "lament of a seafaring man for the girl he left behind and contain no profanities or vulgarities." In 1963 the FBI spent TWO years investigating the lyrics before declaring they were not obscene-- but also were "unintelligible at any speed" (our tax dollars at work).

Due to many parents saying the decision to ban the song was ridiculous, the director added it back in to the performance. Only in Michigan. :lol:

Macmarauder, thanks for the baby pic! That photo is now my mothers day card that I emailed to the moms I know (yep, I stole it..... :blink: ) I have a couple sisters with one baby and 2 toddlers between them--I know they'll love it!

Busy day is done, teeth are fine, Son's neck is cured (DO's crack 'em--instant fix with no chemicals), Mother Daughter Banquet was nice! Phone kept ringing, only vacuumed one room--ahh, tomorrow!

Liz

Again at the early morning antics.

Everyone has that person that is kinda the follower that doesn't know enough, but doesn't learn either...if you understand what i mean. This individual is so intrigued by the processes of networking and how to set one up, so I point him to several websites that will do the "Noobish" approach to learn how computers talk to one another, and are configured into subnetted networks, or just a standard DHCP network with no subnetting. Well this morning, the individual printing out everything (almost everything) off the website and wanted me to show him how to do each step to help him at home. Well, I would be greatful to show him the steps and skipping all the reading on the initial installs, but at work that is kinda hard. Well he got upset this morning because i told him, if he wanted me to show him, i would have to travel to his house, or him travel to mine for a more "detailed" lesson. He kept asking why i couldn't do it here, and such...but it is work...not hobby time. So he got over it and asked me when i could come out to his place and help with his 2 computer network...piece of cake right...we scheduled it for this Sunday, but then i told him it would be a $35/hr charge for my services....wow that blew the rough..."I can't believe you would do that to a friend"...i am not friend with him...just associates at work...

But other than the morning stress, the got some donuts to go-round and just waiting on the coffee...

Until Later, Enjoy

Aaaah sweet smell of cinnamon and raisin bagels.

Picks up one bagel, pours a cup of coffee.

Good morning to all.

Raining here in Virginia. Actually enhences the green grass and the beautiful azaleas this time of year.

Have a good day

Barb :D

(currently in the basement)

OOoooo! cinnnnnamon!

(licks lips and looks around for something)

thesidekickcat

you know what, i never noticed it before but i don't get my mail until 4 - 5 O'clock in the afternoon.

blim

people make no sense to me some times. i don't even know which is worse a school official that won't stand up for what's right or that lady. ohhh ya i do, the lady.

Dr. Vile i know what you mean. one of the things that i just can never understand is how people can be so scared of technology and maybe it's just me but i'm almost completely self taught. every time i need to do something new i go out on the net, do some research. (there's plenty out there for just about everything), (doing that now on your Active Directory networking for your new macs since i've only done traditional networking) and then i just take my time the first time i do it and go some place relevant when i need help. take blim for example she is doing her first reinstall of windows. she did research, came to answer some questions and wala. she's learning for herself. good job btw blim.

to end this post here is something so cute i hate it :angry:

image0012121.gif

Edited by macmarauder

Hi All!

Sidekickcat, you're definitely a mom-and a great one, too--just a mom whose kids don't share your genes!! I have a lot of those, too, who I love as much as my own. :)

Vile, that co worker sounds like a trip! From researching and printing items for personal use at work to how he treated you is just impolite and wrong. You had every right to offer your help for a fee, after all, it's your time, you're going to his house and you're doing the work! If it were me, I wouldn't let you leave my house without payment or a barter! And $35 hour is a bargain when you consider your expertise and the trip. Son is a soccer referee and makes $30-$40 for a 90 minute game--and he is just a kid--but not everyone has the training and the license to referee--and being a good ref, he has 4 soccer directors fighting over him, so he is busy.

Oh dear, Macmarauder's on a cinnamon rush and in the basement, wonder what he's going to do this time?? :rolleyes:

Trees are still bare, but it must be spring--the orioles are lurking in my yard--time to put out the oranges!

Liz

I have never seen cats do that before. I have seen a cat try to fight with a ball of string and chase an object like that, but not to another cat and then watch a take down...that is some funny stuff there MAC...awesome

Any Hot chocolate available here? I am in a chocolate mood, and after seeing Mac's ice storm picture, I'm shivering, so want it hot!!! Brrr!!!

Cute harmonica playing, toe tapping, chipmunk picture too.

The kitty cat knockout was cute! Our last two cats played a game of sit on haunches and dual paw swing at the nose of the sheltie type dog we had at the time. In fact both dog and cat would do pretend nips and punches, and sneak 'attacks' back and forth untill they wore themselves out. Both cats (indoor only cats) were declawed, to protect the dog from accidently losing an eye. When the first cat died of old age, our current cat, at about a year old then, took over as instigator in all mock fights. The dog loved playing with her the best of the two cats I think, and seemed to know to always be gentle. Then as the dog got to old to play much, the cat would cuddle up to her and purr until they both fell asleep in dog bed. After the dog was gone, the cat moped around here for weeks mourning her lost friend and playmate, but finally adjusted ok. I wonder if animals have memories of such things?

Not much going on today. Cool and cloudy with rain coming for the weekend, just in time for the various festivals and parades scheduled.

Thanks Liz, about the Mom thing. Yes we have been occasional backup to a few kids in times of turmoil for them at home, and anytime the kids around here need someone to listen or help them they know to stop by or call. I have done first aid, (oh how I hate the sight of blood!!!), safety instructions, taught them right from wrong ( especially in regards to if it isn't yours don't take it, ask and it May be given to you). Encouragement for school, or church doings, or learning to ride bikes, skateboards, inline skates etc. Called cops once as a home was being broken into (kids escaped to my place) then I told off the investigating cops that just because the boys were good sized didn't mean they could or should fight an intruder when one of cop's bad attitude was boys should have taken intruder on themselves (oh that made me mad!!!). And lots of hugs whenever kids needed them and especially when family members died or pets too. Taught gardening and of course shared produce, even taught a few how to cook as a survival skill in an alcoholic home. Stayed out of babysitting thing as much as possible, unless a dire emergency though those often included sitting with parents (or the kids) in waiting rooms of hospitals or Dr offices until the problems were taken care of or other family showed up.

The dogs we had over the years always were willing to play with the kids. You have heard the usual thing of the doorbell rings and a kid asks to play with your kid? Well at this house it was can your doggy come out and play? Ha! Our last dog, the sheltie mix, loved to play catch me if you can, and did figure eight style passes with up to nearly a dozen kids trying to catch her at a time. Kids loved it even though they almost always lost, neighbors loved watching it, and dog loved it. Many in neighborhood (especially the kids) mourned right along with us when she had to be put down. Some burly boys (late teens) showed up at door several years ago, and asked if she was still alive, I said no and they said she was the best dog to play with they had ever seen. I didn't recognize them almost grown up, turned out they were friends and relatives of someone who used to live in the neighborhood when dog was young, and when they were in the area they would come play with dog. Said the dog helped them work off stress of home situations that weren't the best etc, as did my hugs, cookies, and listening to their troubles. That was so special to me to have them, and a few other kids, come back years later to tell me my efforts were worth it. Not as many kids in neighborhood anymore, but the ones here know our place is a safe place if they need us in case of trouble. Yep, it takes a village to raise a child.

Oops I sure didn't plan on doing a long post again, in fact didn't think I'd be posting at all today. Sorry folks that I am so longwinded lately.

God bless everyone.

Hello All,

I don't celebrate it because for 10 years, I ended up with either sick kids, head licecapades-ugh, or "family rumbles" (I decided it was a jinx), but just want to wish all the Moms (genetic and honorary, single Dads, too) a Happy Mothers Day!

Liz

Found some pastries for you, Vile. Hmmm, is Macmarauder trapped in one of his "cute sites" or is he still doing cinnamon experiments in the basement?

My Mothers Day was pleasingly uneventful once again since I quit celebrating it, although I did break down and called my mom. Son told me "Happy Mothers Day", because his girlfriend made him, and Hubby made supper so I could work on reclaiming flower beds--spent all summer last year painting the house (and victorian houses are big), so boy are they neglected.

Its warm again!!! Yea!! We keep flipping from 30-40s and snow to 70s, no "inbetween" Must be driving folks with bad sinuses nutty. Sidekickcat, my redbud finally bloomed today- you need to plant one. :) Its kinda wimpy this year but after last winter, its a miracle it survived at all.

Out to the garden!

Liz