What's Your Weather

Hey tictoc5150, I live in Easthampton not far from you, and the 50+ was great last week but 9 degrees and another six inches of snow the other night I can do without.

But of course we in New England always say if you don't like the weather just wait a minute...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... Another recent discovery has pointed to the reversal of magnetic north, to south. There is undisputable evidence that the earth's magnetic poles have reversed many times in the past, and there is growing eveidence that another shift is underway already. The magnetic field is growing weaker every year and computer models show that this is the onset of a flip in the poles. The process takes hundreds of years to complete itself, but in the meantime we suffer the effects of losing our protective radiation shield.

Have a look at the evidence on this one too, it's very intruiging...and scary too.

I watched that show and it was an eye-opener. Though predictions were based on computer models, and I don't have a lot of faith that we know enough to make dependable predictions in that manner, the potential for disaster seemed real enough to leave me worried. Plus, it's from Nova. While PBS is severely politicised, Nova has always appeared unbiased in their reporting.

Aside: I thought the special effects in the movie The Day After Tomorrow depicting the Sun's radiation reaching the Earth were also chilling.

~ It's been unseasonably warm here all winter, and it's predicted to get to 50F here in the Poconos today as well... it was nearly 50 yesterday, so it most likely will.

I love mornings at home, and mornings like this when I can open windows and let in the cool, (okay cold, it's only 38F presently, but I've always loved it colder) fresh air while I'm cleaning (and let out the stale roasted air) are just delightful to me.

Edited by Suzanne

And we're Back! :angry: Started snowing around 6pm, now at 10:39pm we have 3-4 inches of the whitestuff, expected to get "up to 8 inches" before morning...Well, at least my garden won't be calling me out to play anymore.

OK, it's now an hour later and it looks like we have about 8 inches on the picnic table....stop, darn it, stop already!

liz

Edited by blim

Was in the middle 60's today, worked in the yard a little. Tomorrow same temp, but rain.

It has been like a roller coaster in temps. A couple of days in the 60's, than 50's and 40's. :huh:

Normal should be around 45. :blink: Right now at 11:51pm it is 53, should be in the 30's :wacko:

Whoa, big-time snowstorm here too. At least a foot. Had to drive to work in it last night. I have a lot of experience driving in snowstorms, blizzards, ice storms, etc., and this was the worst. Not because of the amount of snow or ice, I've seen much worse. I'm not really sure why, but there were cars stuck EVERYWHERE. Usually a bad snowstorm keeps people at home but I think they were lulled into complacency by the long warm spell and went out anyway.

Drove from my small town through a couple of miles of country roads, no problems ... Then the road climbs a hill to enter the next town. Forty-five minutes waiting for others to clear the hill before I got to it. The semi in front of me was smart in a way -- he waited for the hill to clear before he attempted to climb it -- but stupid 'cause he had bald tires that caused him to start slipping back toward me. I didn't like that! A huge semi with locked brakes sliding toward me! I had left plenty of room so he managed to stop before hitting me. I waited for oncoming traffic to clear and drove around him. I have a 4x4 and drove up the hill like any other day, though the compacted snow & ice made it bumpier than usual.

To exit that town there's another hill. The police had it cordoned off 'cause it was littered with dozens of cars that looked like they were just randomly scattered up and down the hill. All stuck. Shoot, I drove up that hill after a blizzard in my Mustang Cobra and didn't get stuck. I wanted to go around them but the cop forced us down a side-street that led nowhere. Everybody had to turn around to go back into town -- They all got stuck. I took another street that lead me back to where I wanted to go (no one followed so I guess they didn't know the roads there).

From that point I must have passed twenty cars and trucks that were stuck (I was in my work clothes on my way to work, no time to stop, plus there were so many it was just ridiculous, I would have been there all night, plus the cops were already doing what they could -- Plus, I'd say 90% of them got stuck where there was no reason for it so ... well ... screw 'em).

A twenty minute drive took over an hour-and-a-half, all due to other cars blocking the roads. Every hill, every intersection. Grrr.

But ... I still love snow!

Hi Dave

Northern Wisconsin, 10/12f above the normal.

Such a constant level with little change.

Today being the 1st time seeing the sun in 3 weeks may account for the un-changes.

Only 6" for the snowmobilers, very strange.

Marsh

Edited by marsh_0x

last time i posted to this thread we were

having cold weather for this time of the year

but now the weather has turned

a---s about face

the whole country is in the grips of a drought

and there are fires every where

the world weather is very hard to predict

marty

Ha! We had 6-8" of snow and before we could get our lazy butts out to shovel it was gone... Pays to procrastinate once and a while.

JDoors, it's the stupid folks that get stuck. Poor equipment, lack of attention, too fast and just plain poor driving skills. I live on a rather easy hill. I can't begin to count how many transmissions that have been damaged by people being too stupid to make it up there.

Maybe I've just been lucky as I have never been stuck (though, of course, I'd like to think there's some skill involved). The closest I came was during an enormous blizzard when I owned a German compact car. I had to stop at a convenience store. The lot had six inches or more of snow in it, but that wasn't where I had any serious trouble. Pulling out of the lot I had to turn left on a busy street. I looked left and there were a number of cars coming, but I had enough time to zip across to stop and wait on the median. I zip across the oncoming lanes and -- Oh crap -- The median was piled high with plowed snow ... it was as high as the hood on my car! I didn't see it 'cause, well, there was a blizzard!

So I plow onto it, the car is actually sitting on top of the snow, probably two feet in the air, the back end is still sticking out into oncoming traffic, and they're getting closer.

I STILL managed to get the car out before traffic reached me, though I couldn't cross the median as planned and had to go in the 'wrong' direction to find a spot to turn around.

I've had dozens of close calls, 'whoopsies,' and 'omygod how am I going to get through this' moments, but never got stuck (touch wood), so it was all the more amazing to see thirty or more cars stuck in a heavy but not severe snowstorm within a ten mile stretch of roads.

And speaking of global warming ( :rolleyes: ), what's up with fog? We had all that snow, now it's warmer, so now it's foggy. But, it's not FOGGY. I seem to remember a lot of times driving in HEAVY fog, fog so thick you couldn't be sure if you were still on A road, let alone the one you intended to be on. You couldn't be sure where the hood of your car ended, the only thing visible in front of you was the reflection of your headlights from the fog.

I haven't seen a fog like that in twenty, thirty years (I'm still in the same area). Is that another sign of global warming? Or urbanization? (With its 'heat sink' effect from buildings & pavement.)

And what's up with people driving slow in what I consider to be a slight, mood-inducing fog? You can see a half mile ahead! Most drivers never even look that far ahead when it's sunny and clear! And here they are, going 25 in a 50, because there's some mist in the air? Maybe these people have never seen a 'pea soup' fog? Like I said, I haven't seen one in decades. But still, YOU CAN SEE THROUGH IT.

Sheesh. ^_^

Finally some rain here. Nothing serious, no thunderstorms or downpours; but since this is the first real rain in at least five months; probably longer it is welcome.

Of course now the OL will complain that the dogs are wet and smelly and have muddy feet.

That and it is cold and damp which after all those months of warm dry weather really causes scars and joints to hurt.

Doubt it will last long, but hey thats weather.

Today it is very cool and wet in my neck of the woods, Northern, B.C., Canada. We have yet to have any snow which is very odd for our location. I don't mind it though, but, it is disturbing that the weather patterns are perhaps permanently shifting.

I might have to get the lawn mower back out. The majority of our snow is gone. There are just a few small banks where I piled the previous snowfall from shoveling. My younger brother showed up today with my ladder that he borrowed over a year ago and helped me finish putting up my new chimney. I shall now wait and see if February's regular vengeance of below zero weather and continual lake effect snow happens.

My weather has been unseasonably warm here in VT. On Friday, Montpelier VT hit 54 degrees F. and for like a week it has rained or been warm enough so that most of the snow is gone. We have had storms where the water has pooled up or frozen solid, and we even had water in our Senior Mealsite on Tuesday last week - it was just flowing from street level, down the outside stairs and into the site - so we have had to deal with flooding and then cold temperatures - I don't even know how much snow we had, but I can tell you that if you wanna use a snowmobile, your out of luck so far - I haven't seen temps this warm in a while ;)

Brian

Well so far this has been the warmest January I can remember, and we're pretty low on the snow accumulations too as a result. Usually we'll have 4-6' drifts between the roads by now, but we have more like 4-6" instead.

Now I'm not complaining (too loudly anyway) about having a mild winter here in the hinterlands, but this is odd and it's not just this month or this year. It's the norm now it seems, to have very different weather than we're all used to having, and overall that has to be a tad worrisome.

I really hope that this is all just a natural cycle of some sort, but then again....the Ice Age is a natural cycle isn't it...

It's all white again for now. We had about an inch fall this morning but the temps are to climb again. My snowblower is still in the shop. I hope it stays there. With it being gone I haven't needed it. Last year it snowed like hell and that fool thing didn't want to start. Maybe I should have junked it before last winter and I wouldn't have had all that fool snow to mess with.:D

Just came off a cool weekend and at 4a.m. this morning got a call out for freezin rain. Seems like thats pretty much what we been fighting most of the time along with a few snows here and there.. so more salt goes out.. :huh:

+3 this afternoon and all is sloppy wet again... <_< . This weather just doesn't know what it wants to do.

Suppose to be warm this week (+1c or 2c) and maybe cool down by the weekend to -9c for a high.

Yep...this has been one mixed up winter... :blink:

We got 2" of wet heavy crap Wednesday morning then 6" of fluffy stuff last night. 24F today and going upto 42F tomorrow. Rain this weekend. I'm just loving these short period lake effect events followed by warm weather and rain. My sump pump is getting more action than my shovel. :D

Well we are in the top 4 for wettest Januarys on record. And with another bad storm on the way and heavy showers until it hits, I think we will be number 3 at least before end of month!!! The mountains are getting tons of snow, but some rain too with the yoyo freezing levels so high avalanche dangers in the Cascades. Even the dry (East) side of the state is getting plenty of rain/snow! The coast is getting drenched with rain much worse than us in the Willamette Valley, and high winds too on nearly every one of the storms. Slides of mud, snow, etc. all over the NW. Did I mention the river and stream flooding in low areas too? So it has been an interesting winter. Just glad it hasn't been very cold as I would hate to see all that rain as snow equivalent. What is it... 1 inch of rain equals a foot of snow? Something like that I think.

And to add a bit of spice to the mixture, we had a small 2.8 or 2.9 earthquake in Portland 6 pm Saturday night. No one should have felt it, it was small, and 10 miles down, but lots of people did all over town anyhow. It shook the house, windows, tv, and even our recliners, like a 4 pointer at least. Maybe because the soil is so saturated it was more noticeable? I know a strong quake can liquefy soil, but maybe when it is already rain saturated it is worse even for light quakes? One news report I heard today said it wasn't even centered on one of the many known quake faults in the area. That is all we need, a new fault line. :rolleyes:

So it is a stormy, windy month, and Mt St. Helens continues to rumble with quakes up to about 3 points, and now one here in town.... :wacko::rolleyes:

Stay safe folks!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

Just handing you the weather baton there TT.... :P

01/31

Today: -7c/19F.....light snow flurries

Tonight: -20c/-4F...cloudy periods

Warming up as the week goes on... :rolleyes:

By Sunday: High +1c/34F....with rain showers

Low Night: -2c/28F

:wacko: