Whiskeyman's Bar

Days like this I wish I could still drink. I'm cold, wet and sore from that darn job. One more week before I call it quits for the winter, maybe.

Gotta agree with you there.

Since I gave up drinking; every time the OL convinces me to buy some liquor , I wind up with a slamming hangover. Of course this could be because she insists on Vodka and I always drank Bourbon .

Personally , I was relieved when she finally let me buy an artificial tree a few years ago instead of the annual headache (no pun intended , real headaches) of a moldy evergreen.

I put up lights , mainly to please her ; and wish she would not turn them and the tree on during the day and would leave them off after I turn them off at 10PM.

Ahh well.

Got the grandkids for the weekend. Then probably for Xmas dinner. They say they want turkey for Xmas; so it will probably be so.

I bought a big pork shoulder and injected it full of barbecue sauce with the cajun injector a couple days ago. Tonight about midnight it goes into a very low slow oven (like 250 degrees) something you cannot do with poultry , for a good twelve hour disintegration , doused with more barbecue sauce. Basting begins around 7AM. Cooked until it is falling apart and then pulled into shreds for pulled pork sandwiches, tamales, flautas (stuffed into corn tortillas with some other goodies and baked until the tortilla gets crunchy) ..mmmmmmm pork rules.

edited now that the pork is done

After skimming off the fat for the dogs; I got a good quart of pot liquor out if the bottom of the pan . Gonna use it and some home made vegetable stock (I save the condensate from vegetable steaming and freeze it in cubes for flavoring.) for a batch of bean and bacon soup , or the black eyed peas for New Years.

The meat is fallen off the bone and disintegrated into shreds. Once it is cooled enough to handle , I'll shred it , add a little more barbecue sauce if needed and serve it up. Instead of potato salad, we are having Parsley Potatoes, but using Cilantro instead (hey this is Texas) with lots of garlic. Mixed greens (mustard, collard, and turnip) to round it out.

Any meat leftover; I bought some white corn tortillas to make oven flautas out of.(Diced garlic, onion, and poblano peppers , lightly brush the tortilla with olive oil or spray with no stick spray, put in pork and the other stuff, roll up and secure with toothpick; bake at 350 till crisp . Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa on the side for dipping or schmeering).

Edited by Pete_C
  • Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The coolers are full and the back bar is fully stocked. I premixed the Bloody Mary mix, trimmed the celery stalks, ground some fresh horseradish and picked up several different hot sauces (beware my buddies Armageddon sauce). There are several cookers ready to go out on the tables. They contain venison stew, scalloped potatoes, my hot and mild chili. There's bowls of potato (German and regular), macaroni, anti-pasta and tossed salads. There is also a few trays with cold cuts and cheeses plus condiments.

Have a good time and enjoy yourselves. A few of my friends are going to jam (blues & blues rock) for the entertainment. Anyone wants to bring their instruments and join in are welcome to. Designated drivers are available to bring you and your vehicles home.

For those that survive I'll meet you at the Besttechie Cafe for New Years breakfast. :thumbsup:

I cranked the pool's heat up to hot tub temperature and put the alligators away for the night....just in case....and added Christmas Cookies to the buffet (please, oh please eat them all! I overbaked this year)

I'll certainly be hanging around Whiskeyman's tonight. No plans and I'm sure Hubby will fall asleep in front of the tv by 10pm. We never DO make plans on NYEve as the weather is usually horrid--but not this year! Yesterday it was close to 50 and I hung sheets on the line! In December!!

And the kids are going to party at....the Ramada Inn of all places :D Daughter works front desk there and will be bartending till 11 tonight. They have "the annual Bash" with a live band and party food and of course drinks. No free drinks for her friends, but she makes 'em a little larger for them :thumbsup: . One of the gang is underage so she'll drive the kids home if necessary, but I'll be on watch and ready to pick them up if needed.

amuckamuckamuckamuckamuck!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MAC!!!! Hey MAC! Where the heck are you?

Has anyone seen Mac come up from the basement? I know hes not in the cafe... MAC!!

Jeesch, I hope the robospiders didn't get him.

I got an e-mail from mac awhile ago; he's doing very well and happy with his lady friend. Maybe we can coax him back with an offer of a cold one. :D

What do you say, mac old buddy? I'll buy the first round. :matrix:

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm.

Looks like awhile since anyone has been in here.

I heard TT was back to work in the real world.

Hope I don't get in trouble for crawling in the bathroom window.

Oh well, that free beer sign I taped to the front door pught to liven things up. :whistling:

Hi Hi Hi Hi Hiyaaaahhhh! (yeppppp, I had a beer :rolleyes: )

I've been around but mainly just reading--seems every time I try to post something, the phone rings or a kid has a "dilemma" or Hubby distracts me or the dog needs to go out....oy vey! BUT come August 28, the kids start school, so after a week or so of powercleaning, I'm gonna be a free lady...well, Mondays through Fridays anyways. Thursday we move the furniture into their apartment, yippie!!! Aron's computer desk will no longer be in my living room!

Gad, what a wacky summer this has been. My "nut with a walker" passed in June and I've been helping her family settle her estate (OMG, what a trip that's been!!), Sisters from Florida and KY came up here for vacation, kids keeping me hopping between their jobs and their volunteering (Son-soccercamps, Daughter-the local playhouse). And the never-ending laundry. All I want to do is play in my garden, folks!! Michigan summers are too short to be running around!! Got ripe tomatoes and banana peppers :thumbsup: --putting a bowlfull on the bar with a bottle of ranch dressing. (they go well with cashews and beverages, don't they? Not an expert, Hubby was totally grossed out last night when I was eating oreo cookies whilst drinking a beer. Hey, I don't like milk!!)

Glad to hear Macmarauder's doing well!!

Liz

I am busy as heck working, but still check in here to see if any customers are having a few. Time for me to unwind with a cold ginger ale and some cashews. Someone crank the jukebox up.

Cashews sound good but can't do those no more. I'll stick to pretzels

Mark

Ah, summer time and the livin' is easy.

If you don't count the electric for the AC. :P

Been out doing my veggie route.

I have a Friend who planted about 18 tomato plants of various kinds so I took him cantaloupe and some cucumbers and got a grocery bag full.

Then I stopped by and visited several people and did some trading.

I now have cantaloupe, watermelon, cabbage, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, beets, carrots, radishes, bib lettuce and several heads of garlic..

Plus the tomato's I kept for me.

The peaches should be on here shortly

The only problem is zucchini.

You have to ring doorbells and run to get rid of a sack of them as it seems like they are the one thing everyone grows well.

I'l have a Pepsi with ice and some of those nuts.

Puches up Skynard Workin' for our host.

• 2 months later...

I need an eye opener. I think I'll opt for a diet Pepsi. I got a midnight service call for a broken pipe on a sump pump. With the steady rains the water was rising fast in a tenants's basement. Why did I allow myself to be talked into an apartment housing maintainence contract.

• 2 months later...

Hey:

anyone got anything to knock out a bad cold? Been drinking water and juices to get rid of the mucus and junk I have been spitting and coughing out of myself, but may need a strong dose of something to break this stuff up - any suggestions TT??

Brian

Terrorist may suggest a Hot Toddy (hot water, lemon, honey, whiskey right before bedtime) but coughing up the stuff is the quickest way to get the cooties out of you! Keep drinking those liquids and take lots of vitamin C and remember, if you cold is at "cough stage", it's near the end!

Feel better, Brian!

Liz

Terrorist may suggest a Hot Toddy (hot water, lemon, honey, whiskey right before bedtime) but coughing up the stuff is the quickest way to get the cooties out of you! Keep drinking those liquids and take lots of vitamin C and remember, if you cold is at "cough stage", it's near the end!

Feel better, Brian!

Liz

If that doesn't cure the cold, it should at least make you forget you have it. :rolleyes: