Whiskeyman's Bar

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for Bloody Marys for those who celebrated last night. Alka Seltzer and Beano available for those who overindulged on Corned Beef and Cabbage. I'm glad I no longer drink. I had family members park their vehicles here and take a cab to my old bar, then had them come back here afterwards to stay the night instead of driving home. They're still snoring and moaning.

I put the coffee on at 7 this morning and the aroma didn't even make them stir. They partied out in the main part of the house until 4 AM. The kitchen is a mess and still smells of cabbage. Beer and liquor bottles are strewn everywhere. I think I'll stay out here in the front part of the house and let them fend for themselves when they wake up.

Oh, no, since St Patty's is on a Friday, its a two day celebration!

Paddy had never been out of Tipperary until he won a trip to New York, and he was all eager to look around.

He's standing patiently on the sidewalk waiting for the policeman to let the group cross.

The cop stops traffic, yells "Pedestrians" and everybody walks on except Paddy.

The cop lets some more traffic go by, then stops them and yells out, "Pedestrians", and everybody walks across except Paddy.

After about six go-rounds like this, Paddy walks over to the cop and says, " Your pardon, squire, but is it not time you let some of the Catholics across?"

Son went to the bar last night and got his very first Green Beer--being 21, he had to do it...

Good for you, Terrorist for taking care of the "dirnkers", making sure they weren't driving and putting them up for the night. Last weekend Daughter and a few friends went out and Daughter and a girlfriend came home at 3am.....quite.... loud and silly, shall I say? Quite pale the next morning, too. Thank you, Chris for driving Kate home and thank you Chris for not letting Lauren drive and dropping her off with Kate to spend the night here! Picking the cars up the next morning was no problem whatsoever!! Blessings for those who look out for the drunks and keep them off the roads!

Liz

Two more....

A man stumbles up to the only other patron in a bar and asks if he could buy him a drink.

"Why of course," comes the reply.

The first man then asks: "Where are you from?"

"I'm from Ireland," replies the second man.

The first man responds: "You don't say, I'm from Ireland too! Let's have another round to Ireland."

"Of Course," replies the second man. Curious, the first man then asks: "Where in Ireland are you from?" "Dublin," comes the reply.

"I can't believe it," says the first man. "I'm from Dublin too! Let's have another drink to Dublin."

"Of course," replies the second man. Curiosity again strikes and the first man asks: "What school did you go to?"

"Saint Mary's," replies the second man. "I graduated in '62."

"This is unbelievable!" the first man says. "I went to Saint Mary's and I graduated in '62, too!"

About that time in comes one of the regulars and sits down at the bar. "What's been going on?" he asks the bartender. "Nothing much," replies the bartender. "The O'Malley twins are drunk again."

Murphy told Quinn that his wife was driving him to drink.

Quinn thinks he's very lucky because his own wife makes him walk.

Edited by blim

Peace and quiet. I got rid of the last partier at 2PM today. The only casualty was dear old dad. He had the Irish Flu bad. Of course he had to eat everything they put out at the bar including stuff that is on the banned list for his diet.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunno where everyone is... It's still too cold and wet around here to do much spring yard cleaning. But at least the crocuses are blooming and the robins are waking me in the mornings. High 59F today and tomorrow 67! WeeeHa! PT on my wrist has been kicking my butt. At least I'm making good progress. 20-30 mins. 4-5 times a day, streching and bending. OUCH!

Dunno where everyone is... It's still too cold and wet around here to do much spring yard cleaning. But at least the crocuses are blooming and the robins are waking me in the mornings. High 59F today and tomorrow 67! WeeeHa! PT on my wrist has been kicking my butt. At least I'm making good progress. 20-30 mins. 4-5 times a day, streching and bending. OUCH!

It won't take long to get the mobility back in the wrist. Just think of the pain as a good thing. I used to hate it when recovering from my injuries and surgeries, but all I could think of was getting back to doing what I want, unrestricted. :thumbsup:

No pain, no gain. But I am really tired of hurting. It's been a year I haven't had painless use of this paw. I'm over it! I couldn't even draw a mini-blind up yesterday. Oohh to be able to pour a cup of coffee with it even....

• 3 weeks later...

Drinks all'round! I got picked for Jury Duty but do NOT have to report on Monday OR Tuesday! With my luck, that is simply AMAZING! I'm in shock. Hooray!

Gad, I just dread this jury duty thing. I would HATE to be on a jury! I'm the person who would either come to a conclusion right off the bat, or be the one responsible for a hung jury and everyone would be mad at me (probably both!). Sure hope the rest of the week has the same results as Monday and Tuesday!

Today, after a night of 60mph winds, thunderstorms and hail, was absolutely beautiful. Warm enough to wear a t-shirt, sunny and no wind! Spent the day raking at my parent's house while ignoring MY garden's requests for playtime. Gotta get their house done first as they're "due in" on the 22nd. Between opening my parents house, jury duty and issue with the "nut with a walker", I will be sooooo happy when April is over!

Liz

Hi everyone... :D

Man....what a couple of weeks I've had... :wacko: Work is in full swing and have been putting in some long days. On top of this we are doing a complete kitchen renovation.... :blink: Almost done with just a few more things to do yet. We have had no stove for a week and now the one we ordered arrived today...but....aaaarrrrr....it's the wrong one!!!! But they promised they will get the one we wanted tomorrow.

What a mess we've been in....there is dust everywhere and on everything and just when you think you got things cleaned up the next day it starts all over again.

Took a wall out...that went well...until we found some wiring that had to be changed and had to call in a electrician... :huh:

All in all...it's going well and hope to be done soon. I hope....so maybe I'll order a tall one and kick back for a sec and relax... ^_^

See ya all later....**aaahhh....resting with feet up**... :rolleyes:

Oooh, I love renovations! But not kitchens. Been there done that. I need to tear down my dining room ceiling (leak damaged) and I'm NOT looking forward to that. It's in the center of the house, so you know, there will be plaster bits all over!! And my dining room is "command central". When we have company, do we visit in the living room or family room? Nope, we always end up at the dining room table.

Don't you just love how drywall dust gets absolutely EVERYWHERE, RV? *sarcasm!*

Lucked out on Jury Duty and didn't have to go in. Hooray!! Been busting my patootie at my folk's house and that's almost done. Found some time today to dive into MY yard. Oh, Lord, what a mess. Halfway filled the truck bed with "junk" to haul to the Community Compost Pile (too nasty for my compost pile, oak leaves and "obnoxious weeds") and I only cleaned out one flowerbed. I have a major creeping charlie infestation, which means I'll be pulling that junk out all summer long.

Liz

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden...LN-May1500.html

Creeping Charlie, Revisited

Deborah Brown, Extension Horticulturist

Based on many years of answering homeowners' questions about lawn care, I'd say the number one weed people worry about is creeping charlie, Glechoma hederacea. Known in various parts of the country as "ground ivy" or "creeping jenny," this invasive member of the mint family was introduced to our continent by early settlers who thought it was a good groundcover for shade. Boy, were they ever right!

The problem, as everyone knows, is that it takes over in shade, then happily expands into sunnier areas. And it's difficult to eliminate. While you can pull it out of a garden quite easily (it comes up in great long ropes), pulling it out of the lawn is next to impossible because it roots down wherever leaves sprout from its viny stems. Any little bit that's left behind in the soil after pulling will continue to grow.

The best way to attack creeping charlie is to spray it with a broadleaf herbicide once or twice in autumn, after summer temperatures have cooled. You can spray now, but results may only be so-so, and there's more potential for injuring tender new growth on other plants in the vicinity.

Many people have been intrigued with the idea of fighting creeping charlie with borax, though reports of its efficacy have not been all that positive. To try it, buy Twenty Mule Team Borax, then apply it according to the following directions. Assess your results next autumn.

Boron, the natural herbicide in borax, will not break down or dissipate in the soil, so you should only use it once or twice in the same area. If too much is applied, not only will creeping charlie die, but desirable grasses will die too. To sod or re-seed you'd have to scrape up and replace the "contaminated" soil.

DIRECTIONS: Dissolve 10 oz. of Twenty Mule Team Borax in 1/2 cup of warm water (or enough water so it actually dissolves).

Dilute this solution into enough water to total 2 1/2 gallons.

Spray the mixture evenly over 1,000 square feet of lawn.

A day or two before applying the borax mix it's a good idea to walk around the 1,000 square foot area and spray it with 2 1/2 gallons of water, just to get a feel for how rapidly you must move to spread the solution evenly. If the area you wish to treat is less than 1,000 square feet, reduce the amount of water (and borax) accordingly.

Remember, if you kill the creeping charlie, but you can't get anything to grow vigorously enough to replace it, the weed will reappear, regardless of how you got rid of it originally.

Whoa, thanks, Terrorist! Borox certainly sounds a lot better than a harsh chemical herbicide. Living across the street from an elementary school and having Sandydog, it sounds a LOT safer. Borax is supposed to be a good ant repellent, too, never knew it's weedkilling power (and we rarely have ants, *knock wood* so I never used it). I just can't figure out why it's all over this year--always had one "problem spot" in a corner of the backyard. Probably threw some in the compost pile and impatient me, didn't let the compost "finish". Or "it was just a good year for creeping charlie". I'll have to ask the neighbors if they're infested, too.

I worked on one of the back yard flowerbeds today and that one is much easier--merely crabgrass (yeah, I pull that out all summer long) Yesterday I was so frustrated and ready to "just let everything go back to grass", today I'm hopeful!

AND my tree peony has 8 buds on it! Dumb thing either didn't bloom or had only one or two blooms (and it's at least 23 years old!) Researched the daylights on it, I was doing everything "right", figured it would just be a pretty green bush. Found out the trick :D Last summer, Sandydog got excited playing with the dog next door and nearly ripped the thing to the ground so she could see Bradydog through the chain link fence. Guess it just needed a good pruning. Now to keep her away from that bush till after it blooms!

Liz

• 3 weeks later...
Arrrrgh! Stop raining already! Jeesh, all this weekend and next too. This is MAY! Ok, gimme a tall cold one it's a TV weekend.

I made sure to mow my lawn last night before the rain comes. They say we are to get 5-6 days of it. I got all my housework done yesterday also. I am watching qualifying right now and plan on sitting here all weekend just watching the races. Let ti rain.

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo, anyone have any plans for Memorial Day weekend? We got nuttin. Hubby's home on vacation which means he's napping in front of the tv <_< Did manage to have him do the "chores" I planned for him, though! I need to put my thinking cap on and conger up some more chores for him to do...he has 4 more days of vacation, afterall :thumbsup:

Liz

I'm plan on just messing around with the yard and work on the house. I turned one of my spare rooms into an exercise room. I bought a used DP exercise bike and weight set so I could recoup some muscles. I have almost bottomed out with my weight loss and now need to build the muscles back up to take off the rest of the flab. I didn't realize how much loose skin there would be after losing 160 lbs. I still need to drop another 20 lbs. I had lost 210 lbs. after the transplant but the Prednisone added 110 lbs. back. The doctors figured I lost about 60-70% of my muscle mass during my illness. They keep telling me that it takes double the time to regain the muscle as compared to the time in which it was lost. I need to prove them wrong. I don't think I could stand taking 6 years to regain the muscle.

We have thunderstorms moving in tomorrow then several days of upper 80s to 90s with sun coming out of the midwest. The kids are going to take a beating during the parade with the heat. The parade ends in the park a couple blocks away behind me. I guess I'll need to put on the headphones for the weekend. Two days of crowd noise will be maddening. This year they have Herman's Hermits as the main music attraction. Yuck!

They actually got the pool filled on time so I may actually go use it. I've been here for two years and never set foot inside the fence. Moving from Hawaii to Nebraska was too much of a shock. Swimming in the Pacific to swimming in a large bathtub, ugh.

Hope you all have a safe but fun weekend.

Hey TT set up a large PA system and crank up "Street Fighting Man". "Enery the eighth I am".........sheesh.

They actually got the pool filled on time so I may actually go use it. I've been here for two years and never set foot inside the fence. Moving from Hawaii to Nebraska was too much of a shock. Swimming in the Pacific to swimming in a large bathtub, ugh.

Hope you all have a safe but fun weekend.

Hey TT set up a large PA system and crank up "Street Fighting Man". "Enery the eighth I am".........sheesh.

More like stick my speakers in the windows and crank up some Ozzy or Zep. :thumbsup: