Whiskeyman's Bar

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Deep Fried Turkey is absolutely wonderful! I know stores sell Turkey Fryers now....gotta get invited to a Turkey Fry from someone who has one of those gadgets, so I can try it! Soooo, introduce us, Terrorist! The other two I've never heard of before.

Liz

You can take a large brown paper shopping bag and pour melted butter in it. Rub the melted butter all over the inside of the bag to completely coat it. Put the turkey in and roll the bag opening closed. I like to place whole oranges poke with a fork inside the cavity. Place the turkey on a grill that is large enough to handle the turkey with the lid on. Make sure the coals are white with no open flames. Depending on size check it after a hour and a half with a meat thermometer. The turkey will self baste and be very juicy.

Beer keg turkey is fantastic. First you need to buy a keg of beer, preferably in a stainless steel keg, and drink it. :D Have someone pop the relief valve to depressurize the keg then cut out one end of the keg. You will need a stainless steel rod about 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter and about 2 1/2' - 3' long. Find a patch of lawn that you don't mind burning. Drive the stake into the ground far enough for a turkey to rest on inside of the keg. Prepare your turkey ahead of time with your favorite rub. I prefer Buck seasoning. Slide the turkey over the rod (in the cavity). You can place one of those big cans of lager, such as Fosters, in the cavity as you are sliding in onto the rod. Place the keg over the turkey and take prepared hot coals around the base outside of the keg with some on top. It usually takes a large bag of charcoal. Let the turkey cook undisturbed for a couple of hours and check it. It will be very moist.

I have cooked turkeys this way for many of my bbqs at my bar. The customers loved it.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
You can take a large brown paper shopping bag and pour melted butter in it. Rub the melted butter all over the inside of the bag to completely coat it. Put the turkey in and roll the bag opening closed. I like to place whole oranges poke with a fork inside the cavity. Place the turkey on a grill that is large enough to handle the turkey with the lid on. Make sure the coals are white with no open flames. Depending on size check it after a hour and a half with a meat thermometer. The turkey will self baste and be very juicy.

Beer keg turkey is fantastic. First you need to buy a keg of beer, preferably in a stainless steel keg, and drink it. :D Have someone pop the relief valve to depressurize the keg then cut out one end of the keg. You will need a stainless steel rod about 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter and about 2 1/2' - 3' long. Find a patch of lawn that you don't mind burning. Drive the stake into the ground far enough for a turkey to rest on inside of the keg. Prepare your turkey ahead of time with your favorite rub. I prefer Buck seasoning. Slide the turkey over the rod (in the cavity). You can place one of those big cans of lager, such as Fosters, in the cavity as you are sliding in onto the rod. Place the keg over the turkey and take prepared hot coals around the base outside of the keg with some on top. It usually takes a large bag of charcoal. Let the turkey cook undisturbed for a couple of hours and check it. It will be very moist.

I have cooked turkeys this way for many of my bbqs at my bar. The customers loved it.

Mmmmmm!!!

Now, there's cooking worth the thought!

What's this?? Whiskeyman/Terrorist's Birthday? Parrrrtay at the bar and cafe! Paper Bag and Beer keg turkey on the menu (ahem...was that keg I used rented? :unsure: )

I'll be around a lot the next 24 hours to keep the dog company. Right now she's snuggled right up to Hubby (she wants the biggest human she can find) but tomorrow night, Hubby goes to work at 9pm, kids will be gone to the fireworks, so she'll be Momma's Dog. I don't dare leave the house!

Liz

Edited by blim

Cold ones all around. I just picked up a few jobs building stone retaining walls and patios plus sidewalks. Man are my muscles sore from just a few hours doing some site preparation today. My former partner showed up and said he couldn't handle all the jobs alone so I figured why not. Now we just need to put together a crew. It's difficult finding young kids with brains and brawn that are willing to do hard physical labor.

Hey TT,

How are the kitchen cabinets coming out.

If I were near, I would lend a hand in building new ones.

Their on hold for the cooler weather to arrive. In fact I'm going to wait for it to get cold before I start removing the rest of the plaster, lath and rock wool. It just doesn't get it trying to remove that crap in warm and muggy weather. I have a high school buddy that is a master carpenter who is self-employed doing finish work for several of the major contractors in the region. He is always more than willing to help. I haven't decided if I want to build my own cabinets or pick out some custom built units from one of my sources. I think it will depend on how much cash I can put away from the retaining wall jobs. I'm hoping my muscles and abdominal hernia hold up laying those stones. I had forgotten how heavy they were. :blink:

Edited by TheTerrorist_75
  • 1 month later...

Ok, friends.... Liz is MIA and needs help getting her new computer on-line. Let's get a rescue party together, including the robots to find her..... I'll ice down the coolers and get some snacks from the cafe....

Edited by bozodog

I was wondering what happen to her. Have not seen her on here for awhile.

I thought maybe weather related, since we have had some nasty weather

recently.

I just came thru Ernesto tropical storm. Did a lot of damage flooding. Water

came up to my house, and than rose one foot, but no damage that I can see.

It use to be a deck, and I enclosed it in, so is high off ground. I was a little nervous

there for awhile.

Yard looks like a war zone with all the debris. What a mess. Clean up time.

I'll take that beer, if you don't mind. Hectic day. post-27-1157409799.gif :D

I missed her too, thought we might have to send out a search party. glad its nothing more serious than computer setup problems. I have the cold brews ready

Barb, glad you got through earnesto ok, it stayed well east of me, running up the coast to Jeff's. I guess it and Mandy got there about the same time

• 4 weeks later...

OK, now that I'm officially back online....turns up the pool thermometer to "Hot Tub Temperature" because darn it, its cold.....and pushes everyone in the pool :D (Chappy told me to behave, but......)

What's everyone been upto? Me, just Fall Cleaning the house and garden. Windows done, carpets half done, kids bedrooms done (wow, what a mess they were!) garden, mostly done--geraniums still need to be dug up and brought inside, but they like Fall weather, and hoping that my green tomatoes will somehow ripen. Frost Advisory tonight, sure hope the Lake Michigan Puddle keeps the frost away as I didn't cover the peppers--advisory didn't include our county till after dark and there's a skunk lurking around, nuh-uh, not taking a chance on getting sprayed!!

Liz

I am enjoying a couple of rain days and waiting for materials to be delivered on the next big job. Darn banks are slow releasing money to their customers who want to do home improvement. I have a couple of small jobs that will take about a day to complete to fill in while waiting, but they take more time travelling to than doing actual work.

Let the party begin!!!

• 2 months later...

Phew...I need a dirnk, too!

Finished Christmas shopping today (I *think*...still need to pile the kids loot up to make sure they're "somewhat even"), gift wreaths are done and sent out, still need to make a wreath for ME if I have time, front porch garland is done and hung. Going to get the tree this weekend, hopefully. Then cookiemaking! Actually, thinking about it, I'm ahead of the game this year! LOVING the recent mild weather. All the snow has melted except for the plowpiles. A Green Christmas? Fine with me!

*sterilizing the IV line for Mike--but Terrorist is going to have to poke him, that's too scary for me :) *

Liz