The Ranting Game

After reading Pat's post (and I'm glad you weren't hurt!) I just keep having these visions of "Gladys from Laugh In" wailing on an SUV....hmmm, maybe we all need to invest in hairnets and big purses :D

And Bozodog, I agree with you, there are so many times I would love to retaliate against rude behavior but the thought of getting sued scares the daylights out of me, so I keep my mouth shut. Some folks are too quick to consult the lawyers (I have a sister who is that way and that behavior disgusts me)

Liz

Edited by blim
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading Pat's post (and I'm glad you weren't hurt!) I just keep having these visions of "Gladys from Laugh In" wailing on an SUV....hmmm, maybe we all need to invest in hairnets and big purses :D

And Bozodog, I agree with you, there are so many times I would love to retaliate against rude behavior but the thought of getting sued scares the daylights out of me, so I keep my mouth shut. Some folks are too quick to consult the lawyers (I have a sister who is that way and that behavior disgusts me)

Liz

Never mind getting sued, today there is a possibility of them shooting you. :o

We are a sue happy society. So sad.

There are some real wacko's out there. :wacko:

I remember when I was a kid, I could walk the street any hour of the day or night time, and no one would bother you. Sometimes didn't even lock the door to the house. Now, some people not only lock, but dead bolt it. Others may even get an alarm system.

Barb

Definitely read this - I know that it's old, but it's brilliant in concept

and execution..

When you occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it

out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on

someone you don't know.

I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I'd forgotten to

make. I found the number and dialed it. A man answered, saying "Hello."

I politely said, "This is Chris. Could I please speak with Robyn Carter?"

Suddenly a manic voice yelled out in my ear "Get the right f***in number!"

and the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could

be so rude. When I tracked down Robyn's correct number to call her, I found

that I had accidentally transposed the last two digits.

After hanging up with her, I decided to call the 'wrong' number again.

When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled "You're an asshole!" and

hung up. I wrote his number down with the word 'asshole' next to it, and

put it in my desk

drawer.

Every couple of weeks, when I was paying bills or had a really bad day, I'd

call him up and yell, "You're an asshole!"

It always cheered me up.

When Caller ID was introduced, I thought my therapeutic "asshole calling"

would have to stop.

So, I called his number and said, "Hi, this is John Smith from the Verizon.

I'm calling to see if you're familiar with our Caller ID Program?"

He yelled "NO!" and s! lammed d own the phone.

I quickly called him back and said, "That's because you're an asshole!"

One day I was at the store, getting ready to pull into a parking spot.

Some guy in a black BMW cut me off and pulled into the spot I had patiently

waited for. I hit the horn and yelled that I'd been waiting for that spot,

but the idiot ignored me. I noticed a "For Sale" sign in his back window

which included his phone number, so I wrote down the number.

A couple of days later, right after calling the first asshole (I had his

number on speed dial) I thought that I'd better call the BMW asshole, too.

I said, "Is this the man with the black BMW for sale?"

"Yes, it is", he said.

"Can you tell me where I can see it?" I asked.

"Yes, I live at 34 Mowbray Blvd, in Vaucluse. It's a yellow house, and the

car's parked right out in front."

"What's your name?" I asked.

"My name is Don Hansen," he said.

"When's a good time to catch you, Don?"

"I'm home every evening after five."

"Listen, Don, can I tell you something?"

"Yes?"

"Don, you're an asshole!" Then I hung up, and added his number to my speed

dial, too.

Now, when I had a problem I had two assholes to call.

Then I came up with an idea. I called Asshole #1.

"Hello."

"You're an asshole!" (But I didn't hang up.)

"Are you still there?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Stop calling me," he screamed.

"Make me," I said.

"Who are you?" he asked.

"My name is Don Hansen."

"Yeah? Where do you live?"

"Asshole, I live at 34 Mowbray Blvd, Vaucluse, a yellow house. My black

Beemer is parked in front."

He said, "I'm coming over right now, Don. And you had better start saying

your prayers."

I said, "Yeah, like I'm really scared, asshole," and hung up.

Then I called Asshole #2. "Hello?" he said.

"Hello asshole," I said.

He yelled, "If I ever find out who you are..."

"You'll what?" I said! .

"I'll kick your ass," he exclaimed.

I answered, "Well asshole, here's your chance. I'm coming over right now."

Then I hung up and immediately called the police, saying that I lived at 34

Mowbray Blvd, Vaucluse, and that I was on my way over there to kill my gay

lover.

Then I called Channel 9 News about the gang war going down in Mowbray Blvd,

Vaucluse.

I quickly got into my car and headed over to Mowbray.

I got there just in time to watch two assholes beating the crap out of each

other in front of six cop cars, an overhead police helicopter and news crew.

NOW I feel much better.

Anger management really works...

Now that just wouldn't work with my impulse fast temper, I can't back off and plan out something to do, it is do it now or never!!! If I can just try to calm down, muttering all the while, I'll get over the idea of knocking their front teeth down to their toes, but oh my those first few minutes are dicey. Now my hubby is the calm one but watch out when he does get fired up mad!!! So Lord help us not blow at the same time, or at each other, and not do anything that would make things worse. That's the hardest part, calming down before something does get alot worse!!! :rolleyes:

I do think that JDoors, and Barb are right about the dangers of retaliating against someone who does something like that to you. Luckily we have only thought about shoving the shopping cart into car, and other than hitting the window with my purse, have never done anything back. I forgot to mention I couldn't jump out of the way of her car either as there was a car right behind me, one just a bit ahead and in the lane to the right of me, waiting on a car to pull out, and then she just speed crammed her car in front of us but closest to me, now that I think about it I wonder if she didn't hit the curb of the lane division planter thing too. Nowhere to jump out of the way. We have had a lot of close calls this year, both on the road and in parking lots, just alot of dangerous things going on close to us!!! Thanks to the Lord for protecting us from injury!!!

This town is full of selfish 'me first no one else has any riights' type people, and it is getting worse every year. They just don't care what happens because of their selfishness. I don't think it is only a few, I think it is a new mindset of 'me first, last, and only mentalility'. There was even a posting in the Back Fence Oregonian column recently from some gal who thought everyone should let her go first in lines as her time was more valuable than anyone elses, especially those 'old retired folk that could shop any time other than her time'. That is not the usual nice giving/thankful attitude of the Back Fence column posters, so the reaction to her was not unexpected...much I am sure to her surprise that she wasn't so important in the scheme of things...Ha!!! :rolleyes:

I sure wish we could move out of here someday to a smaller friendlier town.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

... There was ... a posting in the Back Fence Oregonian column recently from some gal who thought everyone should let her go first in lines as her time was more valuable than anyone elses, especially those 'old retired folk that could shop any time other than her time'. ...

:blink:

That's an absolutely perfect example of where we're going in this country. "Me! Me! Me!"

and it gets worse with each generation. Part of the problem is parents who spoil their kids with everything they want, and don't correct them when they are bad. I see this situation over and over, parent(s) in the store with the kid(s) who are being bad. They tell the kid to behave, which the kid either ignores completely or listens to for 30 seconds then goes back to being bad. Correcting a child by smacking his/her butt is not abuse and sometimes is the one thing that works. The other problem is the removal of corporal punishment in schools. My son ( a junoir in high school) has come home and told me horror stories about how some kids treat the teachers. Detention and suspensions don't work, hell these kids want to be suspended so they don't have to go to school. Anyway enough of my rant

Merry Christmas Everyone

Oooh, kids in stores! All it took for me was to push my grocery cart into the beer cooler (after the first event, I got permission to "use it anytime I need to"), scoop up the naughty kids and take them home to sit with Daddy. Then go back by myself! No trip, no treat, much better behavior the next time

I feel for the babies in the stores (I worked retail)--they get fussy because they get hot and then these SoccerMoms get mad at me when I suggest that they unbundle them. At least once in a while I get a mom who says, "I bet that's it, thanks". That's what keeps me suggestin'

And at schools! The behavior towards teachers is appalling. Unfortunately, it's the parents who say " my littledarling would never behave that way"-- that ruined it for teachers everywhere. And my sister thinks I'm appalling for getting a call from a teacher and the first words out of my mouth are "what did he do?" Argh, she's one of 'em

Liz

The kids??? What about the folks with blinders on? You know, the ones with their cart parked crooked, reading the fine print, while people line up on either side of them waiting and waiting.... MOVE YOUR DANG CART! So other folks can get on with shopping.

I don't know which makes me angrier; kids outrageous and unchecked behavior in school, parents who deny that their kids could possibly do anything wrong, or people who stop and thoughtlessly block the path for others.

[rant] They're about equal, though I have to deal with path-blockers every day where I work and of course whenever I shop. At work I just accept it, I have to or I'd go insane(er) (I usuallly try to let out a little chuckle, thinking to myself, "I cannot believe how many people are this thoughtless!"), but I'm always disappointed when some idiot blocks the aisle in the grocery store (then I usually think to myself, "How 'freakin' ignorant do you have to 'freakin' be to NOT realize you're blocking the 'freakin' aisle when all you have to do is stop the 'freakin' cart two feet over from there? That's it! That's all you'd have to do ... But no, you stop in the middle of the aisle, then several moments later you finally realize you're blocking the aisle, you move the cart to where you should have stopped it in the first place, and issue the obligatory and insincere "Sorry." Is this your first trip to a grocery store, moron?).

Kid's behavior isn't any worse nowadays, in my opinion, because I remember as far back as fifth grade being upset that the class was out of control (OK, I'm strange, I wanted to learn dammit!). That went on in every grade until I went to a "serious" high school.

I also remember as a kid my dad did NOT back me up when I was accused of something and frankly, even when I was guilty :blush: , I was upset that he didn't automatically take my side. (Boo-hoo!) However, I have witnessed hundreds of situations where other parents blindly backed up their kids, guilty or not, making no effort to see if there was any possibility that their kid had done anything wrong. [/rant]

I can't stand shopping when someone in front of you has a bunch of rugrats screaming "Mom, mom I want this" that grab stuff off the shelves and you have to wait for the mother to stop her multiple saying of no while not moving. Slap the kid on the ass and move it.

Then there is the people who don't know the proper direction to push their carts down the aisles. Damn it in every store I have been in it is customary to go down the right side of the aisle just like you drive on the streets.

I also can't stand people who wait for their total before pulling out their coupons and checkbook or have to dig through their little change purse for the exact change. Damn it stop at the bank or ATM and get the cash. Pay with paper money and throw your change in a jug for a rainy day.

Ooooh, Terrorist, I know (I spend waaayyy too much time in the grocery store due to that boy of mine) about folks taking their sweet time paying. Why don't they write their check while standing in line? I even write "and /100" in the "written money part" before checking out. If I use cash, I have 4 pennies in my hand, the rest of the change is quicker to find than the pennies. I have grocery shopping down to a Zen Level--unless they rearrange the store (I HATE that!)

But those darned credit, debit, etc. cards are the worst! Those machines don't work half the time and people don't know how to use them..The worst is during what we used to call "foodstamp week". Instead of paper coupons, folks get debit cards now and they're "supposed" to update automatically. NOT. Can't tell you how frustrating it is when someone is arguing with the cashier because they don't have enough money on their card. The customer keeps insisting there's money on that card like the cashier did something wrong!

I yearn for the "good old days" before one used plastic at the grocery checkout.

Liz

Edited by blim

I've used those foodstamp debit cards. You can find out your total on the phone (automated) before you go to the store. You are supposed to swipe them before the cashier totals your bill. All it takes is a swipe and punch in your 4 digit code. If you bought more than what you have on the card pull out the cash from your pocket to cover the balance. Many of those who complain that have them used all their cash boozing it up at the bars. If you didn't use up the total amount on the card the balance is on your register receipt. It shouldn't take anymore time then paying cash. Other times that I have seen problems with the foodstamp card is when the store's or issuer's computer is down.

[RANT]

So, christmas was today (yay! :D ) I got a lot of CDs, which is, of course, great! There's nothing like expanding a music collection, especially if you don't pay for it. :lol: . Well, with all this crap going on with Sony, I made sure that I checked every CD I asked for to make sure that it was not produced by SonyBMG. Uknbeknowst to me, SonyBMG has many "sub-units". One of which is SunnComm. Well, likewise, one of the CDs I got (actually, it was a dual-disc set, but that's beside the point) was produced by this sneaky little "sub-unit". Luckily, there is no Sony Rottkit present--so it isn't as bad as I thought. But, there is a different problem:

The content is secured with Windows Media DRM....

Unfortunately, in order to directly and smoothly rip content into iTunes it requires the assistance of Apple. To date, Apple has not been willing to cooperate with our protection vendors to make ripping to iTunes and to the iPod a simple experience.

Well great. Not only can I not put this on my iPod, but I can't even rip it to my computer in the fashion of my choice. They info they provided says to be able to rip the music (in WMA format with DRM) I have to install their software. Well, screw that. Not one piece of music in my library is of the WMA format (let alone WMA with DRM), and I don't intend to start. I also will not be forced to use this part's software to rip and listen to my music. :angry:

So, I'm not really sure who to be mad at. I could place the blame on SonyBMG for incormorating such a strict DRM on their CDs. I could be mad at Apple for their proprietary technology that doesn't support secure music formats other than their own. I guess I'm going to devote my ager to both of them, in a way.

DRM, in my opinion, has been a complete failure. If you are some bigshot bootlegger, DRM management is not going to stop you. You'll find ways to still make and sell illegal copies of music (and other media). But for the average person, you'll just shut up and fall victim to authority. Digital Rights Management isn't decreasing piracy, its just making the media experience less enjoyable. Like I said, these companies aren't stopping the people who are real threats to the industry.

Well, I refuse to just play along with this. I'll do some playing around with this CD, do some googling, and find a way to rip MY PAID FOR MUSIC to a filetype of MY choice, and listen to it on MY medai player.

[/RANT]

Whew, well, that's all I've got to say right now. B) I've actually been wanting to come here and post my disgust about DRM before, but this CD finially was the last straw. Hopefully the future of media and entertainment becomes less concerned about copy protection, and more concerned about consumer happiness.

Matt

I agree with you completely Matt. I'm so disgusted with the music and movie industries that I refuse to support either. Their business models are dying dinosaurs and they're grasping at straws to hang on. It's just a matter of time before a new, internet based model takes over. Support independent media forms to speed up the process. I also agree that I will use any method available to circumvent their attempt to stop me from using my purchases as I choose.

Terrorist, they can find their grocery balance over the telephone? Grrrrr. Now, that really makes me mad! I'll tell the cashier that next time I get stuck behind an arguer. Cashiers in Montague, MI will be thanking you for giving them some defense!

Matt, I don't understand what all those initials mean, but it sounds like a rotten plot on the Music Industry's part. Not fair! Wishing for the days of cassette tapes and a cassette copier...thing (dubbing...thing, you know what its called)

My rant!

Niece opened up each Christmas present today and said, "I already have this" instead of "thank you". Arggh. If my kids ever said that, I would be furious!

1.) If it is a duplicate of something like Checkers, one should say, "this is great! I already have a Checker Set, but this will be a great backup because Checkers always get lost"

2.) If it is a duplicate that won't be a "backup", well, keep your mouth shut and say, "thank you so much!"--if you have a friend that likes to play the same game, or watch the same movie, quietly give it to them so they have their own copy!

As much as my kids drive me crazy, thankfully, they've never, ever showed any form of disapproval with a gift.

Liz

NY State has a 1-800 number for those on foodstamps to call for their balance. I imagine Michigan should too seeing as it is a federal program. Anyone who earns below a certain wage can get foodstamps. The amount will vary with the number of household members and combined wages. Also those who collect any Social Security benefits and are below those earning are eligible. I believe if you are on unemployment and fit the eligibility rules you can receive them.

If my kids ever said that, I would be furious!

1.) If it is a duplicate of something like Checkers, one should say, "this is great! I already have a Checker Set, but this will be a great backup because Checkers always get lost"

2.) If it is a duplicate that won't be a "backup", well, keep your mouth shut and say, "thank you so much!"--if you have a friend that likes to play the same game, or watch the same movie, quietly give it to them so they have their own copy!

Liz, you are assuming their "parents" gave them some guidance? Huh? I have to say it's them that have fallen down on the job. You know.... like "manners"? Just what does this "yuppie" generation do in raising kids?

... Then there is the people who don't know the proper direction to push their carts down the aisles. Damn it in every store I have been in it is customary to go down the right side of the aisle just like you drive on the streets. ...

Though this is also a pet peeve of mine, it's moderated somewhat by knowing "keep to the right" is a cultural thing, and we ain't all from the same culture.

Sure, I could say, "Hey buddy! You live HERE now! Follow our rules!" But I'm not yet at that stage of cynicism and anger. I give it ten more years. :angry2:

Well do you think they do Liz

No, they are just as bad as the people over here

I have been known to get mad and push the carts away to get by, or just ram into them to wake the idiot standing there up, especially when they are talking to somebody they know, I don't get so mad while they are actually getting something off the shelf.

My wife and I have also been known to actually do the blocking thing to some idiot that had previously been blocking an aisle. We use two carts and get on each side of the idiot and turn the cart to block

Not many foreigners where I live (maybe 10 families). There's a small section of us normal and retired types then there is the braindead yuppies and welfare clients. Normal and Retired 25% / Yuppies 20% / Welfare 50%. The balance of 5% is dope dealers. They don't shop they shoplift.

I've noticed that in Honolulu and now that I'm visiting San Francisco, the Japanese tourists all want to walk on the left side of the sidewalk. It is kind of annoying, but if they're used to driving on the left side it does kind of make sense that they would think that way.

As for the shopping cart problem, I have no problem moving their carts for them. If they don't like it, too bad. I don't suffer jerkasses lightly.