The Ranting Game

Off to send yet another email to the kids reminding them again not to click any AIM links.....  Arrrgghhh!

end rant (but I'm still mad)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kids being kids. What I have found works well is to make the punishment stretch out long enough so it sinks in. If my daughter had done this, I would restrict her from the computer until:

1) she did a research paper explaining what the difference is between a virus, worm and a trojans.

2) Maker her scan and clean the machine, researching what she found.

3) Perform a complete reload.

This started early with us, we even made her clean her own crayon marks off the wall when she was 2. It has really helped to develop a sense of personal resposibility in her, and has kept us from having to yell as much. Don't get me wrong, she still makes mistakes, but understands it is her duty to fix them.

So did he come tell you?

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday
  • Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off to send yet another email to the kids reminding them again not to click any AIM links.....  Arrrgghhh!

end rant (but I'm still mad)

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kids being kids. What I have found works well is to make the punishment stretch out long enough so it sinks in. If my daughter had done this, I would restrict her from the computer until:

1) she did a research paper explaining what the difference is between a virus, worm and a trojans.

2) Maker her scan and clean the machine, researching what she found.

3) Perform a complete reload.

This started early with us, we even made her clean her own crayon marks off the wall when she was 2. It has really helped to develop a sense of personal resposibility in her, and has kept us from having to yell as much. Don't get me wrong, she still makes mistakes, but understands it is her duty to fix them.

So did he come tell you?

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just a few qirks to your little rules here...if you restrict her access...how is she:

1} going to do a research paper on the differences...i mean libraries and such, but who is going to keep her off of the computers there...LOL

2} you restricted her from the computer, how can she do this...Osmosis?

3}OMG...you didn't just say reload...

LOL...Just kidding BH...i need something funny this morning, and i just happened to play Devil's Advocate on your post...

Hey. We all fall for something "Not so smart" once in a while. Not long ago, I was checking out screensavers. Seen one I liked, and so without thinking. Downloaded, and ran it. Something a little voice in the back of your mind says no, no, no. don't do it. Too

Should have listened to it. Spend the next 8 hours cleaning the little, added surprise from my PC. But we learn. (sometimes).

At least he was smart enough to listen to that little voice. And deleate it.

Hey. We all fall for something "Not so smart" once in a while. Not long ago, I was checking out screensavers. Seen one I liked, and so without thinking. Downloaded, and ran it. Something a little voice in the back of your mind says no, no, no. don't do it. Too

Should have listened to it. Spend the next 8 hours cleaning the little, added surprise from my PC. But we learn. (sometimes).

At least he was smart enough to listen to that little voice. And deleate it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well like i said, it was just in fun...i was having an ackward morning and it struck me as funny and the screen saver thing...yup...WE ALL HAVE TO learn from that one...and definitely not repeat...HEHE

LOL...Just kidding BH...i need something funny this morning, and i just happened to play Devil's Advocate on your post...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should have said AOL....:)

As for the reload, it is the only sure way to kill off spyware/trojans. It is harsh, but that is the final solution.

None of the spyware tools catch everything, and none of them can actually remove ALL of what they find. Reloading is like abstinence, it work 100% of the time...:)

BH

... Arrrggghhh, I am so mad that it is 3am and I can't sleep because I'm still mad!!! ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you should be GRATEFUL! That an infected PC is what keeps you up at night rather than a drug addiction or some other truly horrible worry. You must be blessed if that's all that's keeping you up at night. :hugs 'n' kisses:

... Arrrggghhh, I am so mad that it is 3am and I can't sleep because I'm still mad!!! ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you should be GRATEFUL! That an infected PC is what keeps you up at night rather than a drug addiction or some other truly horrible worry. You must be blessed if that's all that's keeping you up at night. :hugs 'n' kisses:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although I share the same sympathy...He has a great point! Just don't tell your kids about this post though...they won't know what it means,

Phew, I'm cooled off now....and Jdoors did hit the nail on the head. I need to remember that the kids have no police records, no drug/alcohol problems, they're honor students and well adjusted (ok, eccentric, but kinda well adjusted...)! And, I apologized for blowing my stack, and he promised to listen better!

And Brian, he did get the AIMfix on his own (OK, he had to ask me where I had the link ;) ) and he is usually the one who does the "cootie maintenance" on the computer anyways, so he did attempt to "right his wrong"!

Liz

And Brian, he did get the AIMfix on his own (OK, he had to ask me where I had the link ;) ) and he is usually the one who does the "cootie maintenance" on the computer anyways, so he did attempt to "right his wrong"!

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People used to have kids so they would work in the fields, now we have them do PC maintainence and set the clock on the VCR...:D

My daughter is building PC's now...:)

BH

Edited by Brian_Holiday
People used to have kids so they would work in the fields, now we have them do PC maintainence and set the clock on the VCR..

My Dad once said he had me because they didn't have TV remote controls back then... Guess who switched stations and moved the volume up and down?

People used to have kids so they would work in the fields, now we have them do PC maintainence and set the clock on the VCR..

My Dad once said he had me because they didn't have TV remote controls back then... Guess who switched stations and moved the volume up and down?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After my parents split up she had a nasty little story about how my Dad had called her down from upstairs (in a split level) to change the channel for him. She railed about how lazy he was...etc. Years later I got the whole story, Dad had a bad back, and was working 14 hour days. Lazy my butt, he was just recovering!

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After my parents split up she had a nasty little story about how my Dad had called her down from upstairs (in a split level) to change the channel for him. She railed about how lazy he was...etc. Years later I got the whole story, Dad had a bad back, and was working 14 hour days. Lazy my butt, he was just recovering!

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Always the little tidbits left out of the story that make is so more amusing when you find out years later.

I have the NASA programmable remote for my house. I was born into the age and can't seem to leave the chair once I sit, but this d*mn thing will control every TV, stereo, and the DVD/VCR in every room...so I'll never have to lose one trying to control the others...also the little media center card i put in my pc has remote control...and the funnest thing i have found yet with this remote...it can turn on my microwave...granted i still have to get up and get the food, but maybe i'll be able to "get a little helper" (if you know what i mean) to get that for me...LOL

That scumbag outfit Walmart is proposing to build a SuperCenter near the swamp at the north section of Lake Neahtawanta near me. The owner of the property has been told by Walmart not to discuss it with my city. Two small businesses at this area have had repeated problems with their septic systems and raw sewage constantly comes to the surface. One of the businesses has been shut down due to this. This area is just outside of the city limits.

They propose to use temporary wells until they can hook up to a proposed water line in the outlying town that is inadequate. The town has no sanitary sewer system. The sewage problems already affect the groundwater feeding the nearby wells. This means they will have to try and tap into the underground fresh water streams that feed the lake which is already hampered by silt runoff from former farms around the lake.

I have been involved in restoring the lake for several years and know this will prove to be a setback. I have been busy this morning emailing and talking to the local Sierra Club, DEC and the mayor. They are in concurrence with me.

Not only will this impact the wildlife and old growth forest there but it will cause economic harm to the area businesses that have been here for years.

Let the attacks begin. :angry2:

Not only will this impact the wildlife and old growth forest there but it will cause economic harm to the area businesses that have been here for years.

Let the attacks begin. :angry2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WTF? Time for the city to annex that property!

You know, if it were national security I might understand, but damaging a wetlands for for WALMART? Jeez

BH

When I talked to the mayor this morning he stated that he was still gearing up toward annexing the land. He's so POed that he said he would like to annex the whole town. I wrote out a proposal three years ago on how to go about restoring the lake and what costs would be incurred. The $5,000,000 needed has been approved and grants have been coming in. I will fight Walmart tooth and nail.

Wal-Mart will be stocking up on native plants in the coming months -- not for its garden section, but to plant on its store property along Portage Creek.

The vegetation is part of the company's plan to prevent bank erosion and flooding of the creek at the rear of the store property that backs up to Dogwood Drive neighborhood homes in Portage.

Officials for the Shaver Road store have been trying to appease city officials, residents and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality since its drainage system overflowed after a heavy rain on Aug. 20 and sent sediment-laden water into Portage Creek.

Sarah Vandelfzijls, an environmental-quality analyst at DEQ, supports the company's plan.

``We think they did a good job of looking at all their options, and we may have some follow-ups on some details, but for the most part we're pretty pleased,'' Vandelfzijls said. There is no formal timeline for the corrective measures, she said, but the department expects them to be in place before winter.

Among the company's planned fixes are:

# Replace uprooted trees that fell because of erosion.

# Plant native vegetation, such as brown fox sedge and fowl manna grass along the creek's bank.

Several improvements outlined by CESO Inc., the engineering firm hired by the company, have already been completed to help remedy the problem.

The company has improved storm-water-runoff basins and removed a footbridge over the creek that neighbors had used to dump branches and leaves, which disrupted the creek's flow. The company also completed a bike path near the creek with a slope to direct water toward Wal-Mart's stormwater-runoff basins.

Walmart fought long and hard to get this store here. Everytime the city turned them down, the came back with more and more consessions. I belive this Walmart is the prettiest one in SW Mich. With black iron fences, set waaay back from the road, and lots of plantings. Too bad the other two in this area look like the "block boxes". This spill is the second, the EPA was not contacted the first time by city officals. You can bet the city of Portage is watching very carefully.

Keep getting a hold of as many organizations that you can. Check the wildlife out real close. And I mean all types, right down to the insects. Have some of these groups help. Not sure just what the area you live is like. (never been close to the area).

But one might be surprised what ......Animal, insect, ETC. might have it's only habitat in your area. And the removal of it's home could endanger the species.

There are farming communities in California that can't do anything to their fields because of some small bugs that live no other place but there. Tho I live in a forest, and treehuggers have a bad name in my area. They can do allot of good in places.

You have many options, and groups out there that can help stop WM and get them to build else ware.

If you love the area, DON"T GIVE UP!! I will be rooting for your victory to save the area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I once asked my Dad why I always had to mow the lawn? He said " Cause we don't have any goats".

TT, Walmart is going to build a superstore just outside of our little town (7000). It won't kill any wetlands, just all the little Mom and Pop stores (grocery, Hardware,gas stations etc.) that we all love for the small town service.

Well, with exception of ruining wetlands (we have a Condo developer that wants to "move existing wetlands" to a public park--and I bet he gets away with it :angry: ) I would love to see a Walmart in my town (*ducks the thwacks* oww, too slow for that one! ;) ).

We have one "discount store" in my area, which is lousy. I've written letters to Corporate, explaining that they basically have a gold mine, if they carried products folks would buy. An example, the 2 High Schools in the area require Texas Instruments Calculators for their math classes. Guess what?? They only carry Casio Calculators. A 35 minute trip to WM is the only option!! I see so many people walk out of that place empty handed. I think the only reason they can stay in business is because "they're the only dance in town". A nearby Walmart might just make them competitive.

Makai, your local Grocery and Hardware stores would probably fare fine. Walmart's prices are often no better than sale prices at the local grocery store (my Son is a pig, I KNOW grocery prices!) with exception of cereal, and our closest Walmart has a lousy hardware selection--and our WM's gas station only takes debit and credit cards--Stupid for them, good for competitors! But shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent, soaps--gotta admit, Walmart rules!

*rant*

When Daughter's jerk-boyfriend makes her angry again and the worst thing a "good mother" can do is to say "dump his arse"--all that does is make kids do the opposite... so I'm stuck with keeping my big mouth shut, hoping she decides to "dump his arse". How frustrating!!

*end rant*

Liz

Bozodog, we've done that!! My only hope is that when she is ready, she dumps him, don't want to deal with some jerkguy breaking my baby's heart!! Fortunately, as often as she gets mad at him (late last night, matter of fact!) I have a feeling her heart won't get broken. Ahhh, it's a waiting game, and hopefully there isn't a marriage before the game ends!

Liz