Windows Update Troubles

I dont know why this has been occuring lately but it has. When ever i go to microsofts update page, the computer hangs. and when i check the processes, there are more than one wuauclt.exe running. i have tried restarting the services of both the automatic updates and the bit transfer service but nothing. other times when it actually searches for the available updates, it takes a long long time and the computer slows down to a crawl. also i noticed that i have lost about 400MB when i was attempting to update. The only updates i was trying to install were an outlook express update and the MS Word SP2. im using home edition SP1. any solutions?

***ADD: Just tried it again, and i noticed that a process named "update.exe" came up. quick google check revealed that it was related to spyware. but i just finished running an a2, adaware, spybot, MS anti-spyware, and avg antivirus test way before and nothing came up?

Edited by StealthG
you might try upgrading to sp2...no real good reason not to anymore.... :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather not, i like how this computer runs and i dont personally believe in firewalls....although i know you have the option to disable it. I just rather stick with SP1 and fix this problem instead.

you might try upgrading to sp2...no real good reason not to anymore.... :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I rather not, i like how this computer runs and i dont personally believe in firewalls....although i know you have the option to disable it. I just rather stick with SP1 and fix this problem instead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can we take this to mean your not running any firewall (hard or software)? This is a pretty bad idea especially if you have a broadband connection. I strongly encourage you to install SP2 it took care of many vulnerabilities and not wanting to lose performance or an app or two isn't worth the risk(IMO).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you have a trusted router if you refuse to run a firewall. If you ever saw a firewall's log of "events," that is, attempts to gain access to your computer, you'd positively freak out. Someone's trying to get in every few seconds from all around the world (Asia, China in particular, Russia & other Baltic states are the ones that worry me most).

I thought MS forced SP2 on you if you wish to use their update site. Bah, I'm stickin' with '9x.

I have to throw my hat into the "Get SP2" ring as well Stealth, it patches some very important areas that just may have something to do with this issue.

The firewall bit is also concerning....I wouldn't recomend running any machine without one these days, dialup included. XP's firewall is included in the basic install, its only enabled with SP2 by default and is easy to turn off. There are much better free firewalls out there, Sygate, Kerio, Zone Alarm, and I strongly suggest you get one.

Without a firewall, I would also say that you may have been invaded already, and the problems could very well be because of this.

I have to agree with the SP2 upgrade and a firewall. I run a router and Zone alarm firewall. And even to my surprise. I do get a couple of attempts in a month that Zone Alarm stops. Even after I re-figured my router. I guess if your on line long enough. it's possible to work through a router. (or they might be legit, but I'm not to sure. A registered program update since they know I have it?)

As for SP2. There are upgrades for your whole operating system. Not jusk security patches.

Thanx guys, not to sound harsh, but i wasnt asking on opinions on whether to upgrade to SP2 or to get a firewall. I was asking for help on windows update. and how am i suppose to get SP2 working if i cant update through windows? besides slipstreaming...i mean. just if anyone has any related help to my topic it will really help me out. i will once again reconsider on upgrading to SP2, its just that it slows this computer down a bit.

Hi Stealth,

I think what folks were getting at is that installing SP2 might help you get the MSupdates. JDoors posted what I thought that I also read somewhere, that current MSUpdates won't "play nice" with non SP2 updated machines.

Whether it was rumor, a threat or plain old MS Hooey, the SP2 suggestions might have some merit. I dug my heels in, too, but the only difference I noticed after reluctantly installing SP2, was that it takes a few seconds longer to Boot Up--and I absolutely didn't want to install SP2, I was scared to death to do it. If you do decide to install this "beast", just make sure the machine is free of Spyware (I know you know this already).

Liz

... i wasnt asking on opinions on whether to upgrade to SP2 or to get a firewall. ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually didn't have any advice other than to mention the firewall and that not having SP2 might be the cause of the problem to begin with. Then someone else mentioned an extremely likely situation: Without SP2 and a firewall your system is highly likely to have been compromised, and if it is then you may have to fix that before you can get Windows Update to work at all.

If that is the case then run HiJackThis and post in the appropriate thread, someone can check it out and eliminate that as a possibility and we can go from there.

Not to sound strident, but a firewall is the single most important thing you need if your computer is online at all (unless you have an absolutely secure router, and another post suggests even that isn't enough).

Hi,

Can you please do the following:

*Please go http://www.howtotell.com (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)

*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"

*Click on the "Validate Now" button.

*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.

*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.

*Enter your product key then click "continue"

*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"

*Copy what it says and paste it here.

B

Hi,

Can you please do the following:

*Please go http://www.howtotell.com (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer (not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)

*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"

*Click on the "Validate Now" button.

*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.

*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.

*Enter your product key then click "continue"

*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"

*Copy what it says and paste it here.

B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont quite understand what your asking me to do. but my windows is legit.

Thank you for running the Windows Validation Assistant. It appears that your Windows Product Key is valid.

This is a strong indicator that your operating system is genuine, however the Windows Validation Assistant cannot make a final determination.

To verify that you received a genuine Certificate of Authenticity and software CD, compare your anti-piracy features in the next section.

Just wanted to make sure you Windows install was legit. Just in case that was the cause of the problems. Have you tired adding Windows Update to your 'Trusted Sites' list in IE? Make sure you're using IE when trying to access Windows Update. Windows Updates only run in IE so you must be using that. Might want to also really consider getting a firewall (hardware or software) if you don't want to have to really configure one much, get a router, just make sure you disable UPnP. Routers don't affect your system either, so no reason not to have one. B)

B