G4TV to be sold to Esquire

On the G4 forums they said today that G4 is being sold to Esquire.

The network will probably be rebranded. AOTS and XPlay already canceled at the end of the month.

Probably the forums will go too.

It has been a long run.

Thanks for the heads-up, Pete_C. Is there any indication that the forums will be taken down? Just curious.

On the G4 forums they said today that G4 is being sold to Esquire.

The network will probably be rebranded. AOTS and XPlay already canceled at the end of the month.

Probably the forums will go too.

It has been a long run.

Thanks for the heads-up, Pete_C. Is there any indication that the forums will be taken down? Just curious.

Yeah, I just saw that too... feel free to point people here! :)

B

Given that Esquire has registered such domains as EsquireTV.com and EsquireChannel.com it is likely that the existing G4TV.com will cease to exist.

It is highly unlikely that they will keep the domain up or pay for the servers to keep running. It iis not like the merger with TechTV where they are preserving some of what was there and trying to keep the viewers; they are buying the channel space and bringing in a "fresh new concept" They notified the staff that the remaining G4TV shows (AOTS, XPLAY...) are canceled and they are terminated at the end of the year. Some (Kevin P, Brian Sessler) left before the public announcement, the remaining cast makes it clear that they know their jobs are over and that no one is likely to fire them early (two incidents of guests getting naked while being interviewed on AOTS last week and the camera guy just blurring it a bit rather than cutting or bleeping).

So my bet is that by Jan 01 we will go to click on forums.g4tv.com and find "server unavailable" and that will be that.

It is unlikely that they will bother preserving any of the archived stuff or old videos of The Screen Savers and Call For Help or any other content.

It is just not what they are all about.

Likewise, I doubt they will have forums, from their site it appears to be more social media (facebook and twitter) that they use to interact and that forums are a thing of the past.

Given that Esquire has registered such domains as EsquireTV.com and EsquireChannel.com it is likely that the existing G4TV.com will cease to exist.

It is highly unlikely that they will keep the domain up or pay for the servers to keep running. It iis not like the merger with TechTV where they are preserving some of what was there and trying to keep the viewers; they are buying the channel space and bringing in a "fresh new concept" They notified the staff that the remaining G4TV shows (AOTS, XPLAY...) are canceled and they are terminated at the end of the year. Some (Kevin P, Brian Sessler) left before the public announcement, the remaining cast makes it clear that they know their jobs are over and that no one is likely to fire them early (two incidents of guests getting naked while being interviewed on AOTS last week and the camera guy just blurring it a bit rather than cutting or bleeping).

So my bet is that by Jan 01 we will go to click on forums.g4tv.com and find "server unavailable" and that will be that.

It is unlikely that they will bother preserving any of the archived stuff or old videos of The Screen Savers and Call For Help or any other content.

It is just not what they are all about.

Likewise, I doubt they will have forums, from their site it appears to be more social media (facebook and twitter) that they use to interact and that forums are a thing of the past.

Hey Pete_C,

Saw your post today at G4. Many thanks for the invitation to G4 members. It would be great to see G4 members heading here! :-)

I have never watched G4 TV, but i have enjoyed doing Malware (Hjt logs) cleaning over there. Some 6 yrs i have done them & proud that i got many compliments. It takes a lot of time to stay up on the latest tools/programs used in the cleaning but i have accomplished that. Now i don't know where i will wind up but i have always came back here, over the years to just see how everyone is doing. I will continue helping with Malware infections somewhere. So to all my friends, this is a great place to hang your hat where Jeff (BestTechie) and staff have always welcomed people here.

Stay Safe All

Chuck

I have never watched G4 TV, but i have enjoyed doing Malware (Hjt logs) cleaning over there. Some 6 yrs i have done them & proud that i got many compliments. It takes a lot of time to stay up on the latest tools/programs used in the cleaning but i have accomplished that. Now i don't know where i will wind up but i have always came back here, over the years to just see how everyone is doing. I will continue helping with Malware infections somewhere. So to all my friends, this is a great place to hang your hat where Jeff (BestTechie) and staff have always welcomed people here.

Stay Safe All

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Good to see you again, man!

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone..

I know it has been awhile since I have posted anything on here, but do come by on occasion to check it out. Just saw this, and gave me an opportunity to say HI.

Not sure you remember me, as it has been a very long time, but I don't forget BestTechie. It has and always will be a favorite place of mine. This is where it all started for me after Techtv. We all migrated to here and Jeff gave us a home. Some also went to G4TV.

BestTechie was my learning place, and many thanks to you all for sharing your expertise with me, so now I can help others. A sort of give back for you giving to me.

Well gotta go, just wanted to say hello... I'll try to stop by more often..

Barb :)

Edited by bar5

Hi Everyone..

I know it has been awhile since I have posted anything on here, but do come by on occasion to check it out. Just saw this, and gave me an opportunity to say HI.

Not sure you remember me, as it has been a very long time, but I don't forget BestTechie. It has and always will be a favorite place of mine. This is where it all started for me after Techtv. We all migrated to here and Jeff gave us a home. Some also went to G4TV.

BestTechie was my learning place, and many thanks to you all for sharing your expertise with me, so now I can help others. A sort of give back for you giving to me.

Hi Barb,

Welcome back, it is good to see you again! Of course we remember you. :)

Hi Everyone..

Hey Barb!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm super happy you did.

I just started working on BT full time and one of my goals is to bring the forums back and get them more active again, so I definitely encourage everyone to post! :)

I hope to see you around more (and everyone else!)

B

Hello everyone.....

I'm still hangin around also........I do stop by from time to time. Just started retirement a couple of months ago and enjoying every day. See ya all later..... B)

Heya rv56! Good to see you again, man. :)

I'm hoping to retire in about 2-3 years; I'm looking forward to that indeed.

Hey rv56, i retired in August last year (2012) and i find it very boring. Hobbies, of course but they only occupy one sself for a while. Guess the best thing is i spend a lot of time with my 3 granddaughters & one great granddaughter which we are watching during the day to help my oldest granddaughter & her hubby. While they both work. I also keep up on all the new tools/programs used for malware cleaning which i have been doing at G4 for about 6 yrs. Guess i will find another place when they close it down. Any enjoy your retirement and you also hitest when the time comes !!!

Chuck

Hey Jeff, hitest, rv56 and Chuck..Good to see these familiar names again... It has been a long time.. I always liked it here because it had that small town atmosphere where everyone knew every one. Anyone going to watch the Super Bowl, and if so, who are you rooting for? I'm for SF... See you all later.. :)

Barb

Edited by bar5

Great to see you again Bab, i'm picking the 9er's ! It;s good to see some new post/threads here, it was getting bad at one point where no on posted for a while. But i check in every morning to see if theres any thing i may assist with. Stay Safe friend !!!!

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just received an email from Miss Fae, that was class of her to inform me, but unlikely return to say goodbye.

Tho will respond to see hows she is doing.

Hmm never been unbanned before haha

----------------------

Hi Marsh, it's MissFae. I don't know if this email will find it's way to you but I'm hoping you are well.

If you don't already know, the G4 forums are going to be deleted on March 18th.

This is an open invitation for you to come back for the last few weeks if you want. Just let me know.

Fae

---------------------------------

Sure do remember May 04, wow a long time ago already.

Been spending my time with the satellite internet forums, WB Exede cooking away at 21 Mb/s.

A beta tester for Hughes Jupiter (Gen4) one of 122 trying to make Gen4 work.

Wasn't ready for prime time at launch or now and certainly only the uninformed fall victim.

Hope to return again, hmm if you had a satellite topic thread ?

Life has been very good to me...

Marsh