Daughter got a Dell in January and I asked her about this. She said she never saw anything titled "My Way", her comment, "if I did have this, I never saw it and never activated it".

She got home from college last week and I do need to plug her Dell in (yeah, she screwed it up, I, I mean you guys here, get the "pleasure" of fixing it.... :angry2: ) When I uncover her computer from the "pile of Katie-stuff" in the living room, I'll look for that.

I also googled "my way" and found nothing on the first page, so I wonder if Dell discontinued using it?? Let's hope so!

Liz

Edited by blim

Sounds sad.

However we all know that M. Dell is foremost a capitalist, not an advocate of bloat-free computing. And as Dell has had to sell their entry level computers for $350 with rebates INCLUDING the os, I can't say I'm surprised that they have to find other means of profit.

That being said, I wonder if a complete search of anything "my way" and individually deleting the results would solve the mess? (Hopefully you'd unselect Frank Sinatra's song :lol: )

The writer's objection to bloatware also included Internet Explorer. Sorry, but if you get a Windows machine, you are going to get IE.

Edited by irregularjoe

according to this site.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/15/de...ay_controversy/

its true..

but I don't by dell as I find there hardware cheeply made. where I work they lease dell laptops for us. in the last two years my mother boards been replaced twice and the dvd drive once. according to our its guys this quite common, but since its covered in the lease they could care less.

according to this site.. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/15/de...ay_controversy/

its true..

but I don't by dell as I find there hardware cheeply made. where I work they lease dell laptops for us. in the last two years my mother boards been replaced twice and the dvd drive once. according to our its guys this quite common, but since its covered in the lease they could care less.

How old is your laptop?

I use an Inspiron 8200 as my main computer and haven't had any problems with it yet. Probably going on 4 years old? I have installed more ram and a 120 gig hd, but that's because I wanted them. Also going to put in a 64 MB video card just because.

Maybe I'm lucky?

Dell My Way Search Assistant

From CastleCopsWiki

My Way Search Assistant is not required for your system to run.

Dell said there was nothing untoward about My Way Search Assistant, despite complaints from customers that the toolbar impairs computer performance, changes browser settings and is difficult to remove. However anti-spyware firm Sunbelt Software defines My Way components as a ‘potential privacy risk’ that pose a moderate threat to users.

There seems to be stories covering both sides of this. Personally, I consider my computer is like my home. Stay out unless you're invited. Yes, I have a Dell, and for the most part, love it. But I admit there was a ton of crap that came installed on it. Like all those programs no one wants. At lease I got a full OS disk, not a restore disk like many companies include.

My son had a dell that was a piece of junk. It outlasted it's warranty by about a month. Replaced it with a HP that has worked good for 18 months. The Dell had the myway on it but I did manage to removeit before It was used. Personally I will not buy another Dell. My neighbor had bought one of their cheap starter pc's for his 2 grandchildren. he had a very hard time with Dell getting them to honor his warranty when he had problems. His ganddaughters were 7 and 10 at the time, were not on the net but had problems from about 1 month. He eventually went to a local computer repair shop that did him a really good deal on replacing it.. As for laptops I have one problem only with my IBM thinkpad, 2 years old, the battery life is not good. I have an inverter to run it in my car which works great, and just plug int the charger to run it at the house

First thing I'd recommend after buying a Dell - reload with an OEM disc using your Dell License, not the Dell Recovery CD's. I recommend that for Dell's Compaq's and HP's because all of them come preloaded with crap

However, I'm doubting that the My Way the article refers to is the spyware program that plagues many computers. I could be wrong though since HP did put weatherbug on it's PC's!

Edited by xxkbxx

First of all many OEM PC makers include some type of program that is considered spyware, such as HP/Compaq's BackWeb. This is common knowledge to many people and there are plenty of websites that detail the removal procedures. Dell's My Way Search Assistant was marketed by AskJeeves.

Starting With A Clean Machine

Dell My Way Search Assistant

This site discusses removing My Way from Dells.

Remove "MY WAY SEARCH ASSISTANT"

from first hand experienced

dell has a branding hidden partition

and this is were all that stuff is comming from

i got the same result

and it was weeks before i found a way to isolate that dam partition

in the bios.

ive since got rid of the thing

and made my own compt

does microsoft have a thing with dell

as the preinstalled operating is in that hidden partition

marty

I have heard many stories where My Way came pre-installed with Dell, but I thought that controversy was over, and they stopped doing it. Perhaps not. Here's some more info taken from a private forum:

In an effort to to generate additional revenue at the expense of their customers' privacy, Dell has been pre-installing the Dell My Way Search Assistant, its own branded version of the My Way Toolbar, on Dell computers since about Dec. 2004. Even those Dell sold PCs sold through their Small Business division, arrive with My Way preinstalled even if a specific request is made to exclude it! You can read more about it in this CastleCops article - The Dell and My Way Saga

Although the Dell My Way Search Assistant is listed in the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs utility, there is no functional 'Remove' button available for user selection. There is no My Way folder present in the Program Files folder, nor is there an autostart present in MSConfig. In short, there is nothing available to uninstall the tool bar in the customary manner. Dell has intentionally coded their installer package to make the 'remove' button non-functional.

There is a hiden uninstaller that Dell doesn't want you to find; but the method includes a lot of system tinkering a registry work, so I'm not gonna post all that unless someone actually needs assistance removing.

On the Dell forums, however, two methods from them have been posted:

Method 1:

REMOVAL (primary instructions)

(1) Remove MyWay

* Close all open Web browsers

* Click Start- Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs

* Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon

* Click Remove a program

* Click My Way

* Click the Change/Remove button

* Follow the prompts. When done, restart the system

(2) Download/Install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility . Install the program, then start it. Look for the Myway Search Assistant entry, highlight it and click the "Remove" button. That should remove the entry in Add/Remove

Method 2:

REMOVAL (secondary instructions)

(1) Remove MyWay

* Close all open Web browsers

* Click Start- Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs

* Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon

* Click Remove a program

* Click My Way

* Click the Change/Remove button

* Follow the prompts

(2) Download/Install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility . Install the program, then start it. Look for the Myway Search Assistant entry, highlight it and click the "Remove" button. That should remove the entry in Add/Remove

(3)

* Click Start- Run

* Type MsiExec.exe /X{78d944d7-a97b-4004-ab0a-b5ad06839940}

(If not found, skip to #4)

* Click OK

* Follow the prompts to remove MyWay

(4)

* Click Start- Find or Search- Files or Folders

* "Look In" should say Local Hard Drives

* Type MyWay [press Enter]

* Delete any/all found, close all boxes when finished

(5)

* Click Start- Run

* Type regedit [press Enter]

* Highlight My Computer

* Click Edit- Find

* Type MyWay [press Enter]

* Delete any/all found, press F3 to continue searching. Delete any/all found

* Close all boxes when finished

* Click Start- Shutdown- Restart- OK or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

I think its sad that such a mega-coorporation as Dell would do this. If I am going to buy a PC, however, I'm still buying from Dell. Who else are you going to buy from, hp? Unless you need a high-end gaming machine thats $2,500+ Dell's still the way to go (btw they bought AlienWare).

Matt

from first hand experienced

dell has a branding hidden partition

and this is were all that stuff is comming from

i got the same result

and it was weeks before i found a way to isolate that dam partition

in the bios.

ive since got rid of the thing

and made my own compt

does microsoft have a thing with dell

as the preinstalled operating is in that hidden partition

marty

Most of the big brands now put the OS on a hidden partition. Dell even has the nerve to charge you $10 if you actually want a restore disk.

I bought a Compaq desktop last Dec. as a Christmas gift for my S.O.

I checked it out before I gave it to her and found out about the hidden partition. Back to the store it went.

I ended up buying a locally built PC.

Edited by irregularjoe

Dell sucks, immensely. They and every other major manufacturer. They install gobs of crap. BUT if they aren't loaded with crap they can operate perfectly. My compaq in my room operates perfectly with my OEM XP Home copy I bought for my main PC. I just called MS and used the key that came with the PC and it works just fine. This computer operates so well I can't believe it's a Compaq.

A dell at school (one of the very few newer ones) operates so slow and pitifully I can't bear usin it, but yet all the HP/Compaq d350's runnin 2.8GHz P4 non-HT with 256MB RAM and integrated everything (Dell is 3.0GHz P4 HT with 256MB RAM integrated everything) are operating faster with more work software installed but less Manufacturer crap. It's probably cause the HP/Compaq's are Workstations and the Dell is a Dimension (personal type).

At school comparing the older Dell's and Compaqs, Compaq's were better. Same with the newer ones, though my ex-girlfriend's parents' computer was an HP and it was slower than that dell. It was a celeon though. but even for a celeron it was slow. My great uncles Compaq with a Celeron runs alright (thanks to me).

All home systems just about are loaded with crap. You'd be better off building your own. or as irregularjoe says buy a locally built computer.

Ok I'll hush up.

P.S. My Compaq I'm talkin bout has an Athlon XP 2600+ with 512MB (and that is factory) PC2100 on a KM266 chipset. I added a GeForce FX5700 Ultra and a soundblaster live!

P.P.S. HP/Compaq Monitors suck bu Dell ones are alright. My Compaq monitor sucks but the Dell one I use for my main system despit being 3-4 years old works great.

Ok NOW I'll shut up.

Edited by Honda_Boy
Dell sucks, immensely. They and every other major manufacturer. They install gobs of crap. BUT if they aren't loaded with crap they can operate perfectly. My compaq in my room operates perfectly with my OEM XP Home copy I bought for my main PC. I just called MS and used the key that came with the PC and it works just fine. This computer operates so well I can't believe it's a Compaq.

A dell at school (one of the very few newer ones) operates so slow and pitifully I can't bear usin it, but yet all the HP/Compaq d350's runnin 2.8GHz P4 non-HT with 256MB RAM and integrated everything (Dell is 3.0GHz P4 HT with 256MB RAM integrated everything) are operating faster with more work software installed but less Manufacturer crap. It's probably cause the HP/Compaq's are Workstations and the Dell is a Dimension (personal type).

At school comparing the older Dell's and Compaqs, Compaq's were better. Same with the newer ones, though my ex-girlfriend's parents' computer was an HP and it was slower than that dell. It was a celeon though. but even for a celeron it was slow. My great uncles Compaq with a Celeron runs alright (thanks to me).

All home systems just about are loaded with crap. You'd be better off building your own. or as irregularjoe says buy a locally built computer.

Ok I'll hush up.

P.S. My Compaq I'm talkin bout has an Athlon XP 2600+ with 512MB (and that is factory) PC2100 on a KM266 chipset. I added a GeForce FX5700 Ultra and a soundblaster live!

P.P.S. HP/Compaq Monitors suck bu Dell ones are alright. My Compaq monitor sucks but the Dell one I use for my main system despit being 3-4 years old works great.

Ok NOW I'll shut up.

LMAO - yep, go with a locally built PC - except now you have to watch out for fly-by-night places. Funny, the only reason I interned at a local store was so that I could eventually build a PC, now I work there and I've learned more than I ever thought there was to learn (if that makes any sense!)

I have had 3 Dell Computers, and have never had a lick of trouble with any of them. I would not have any thing else, but a Dell. Not all of us have the talent to build their own.

If you do buy a Dell, don't get the $399 or what ever cheap ones. You get what you pay for. They (Dell) and everyone else (Other manufacturers) sell at a cheaper price so someone who can not afford a computer can still get one. So, if you can not build it, or can not afford to pay $1500 to $2500, buy what you can afford. If all you will use a computer for is email, than those cheaper ones are OK.

I have a cheap little Dell Inspiron 1100 (laptop) that is 3 yrs old, that I got for a back up, in case I had trouble with my old Dell Dimension 4100 , I could at least get on line to BT and ask for help. The only reason I don't have the Dim 4100 is, it was old and slow so I sent it back to Dell using their recycling program, and bought the one I have now, Dell Dimension E510, not cheap one but not the most expensive.

I don't believe one brand is probably any better than the other. They all have cheap ones and expensive ones.

It is all personal preference.

I LOVE MY DELL!!! :thumbsup:

the best manufactured systems out there are from the lesser known gaming companies. they don't load their systems up with crap like all the rest. Companies like Vicious PC. It is primarily a gaming company but in the way of AMD systems they start at about $1100 and ABS starts at about $1000. If you have the cash COmpanies like them are the best but try to find a trustworthy local builder.

Dell's are good for entry level computers because no one can build an entry level PC with XP and a flat screen for 400 dollars - keep in mind that about half of Dell Rebates don't go through so you end up paying 600+ not the advertised 400. Also, for people who just want to use the internet - they are fine with a Windows 98 machine, 128 MB Ram, 4 GB Hard Drive - Right Terrorist?

Dell's are good for entry level computers because no one can build an entry level PC with XP and a flat screen for 400 dollars - keep in mind that about half of Dell Rebates don't go through so you end up paying 600+ not the advertised 400. Also, for people who just want to use the internet - they are fine with a Windows 98 machine, 128 MB Ram, 4 GB Hard Drive - Right Terrorist?

I never had any trouble getting a rebate from Dell. I had it on 2 of them and got the rebates.

In fact I've never had any trouble getting any rebate from any retailer. It takes a long time, but I got every one of them. Maybe I'm lucky. I have heard about rebate problems.

Win98SE/ME/2K with 500MHz to 2GHz CPU, 128-512MB RAM and a 6-20 GB hard drive works just fine for the average user. I have done everything I wanted with my Win98SE systems starting from a Gateway 2000 P160 with 160MHz Pentium, 64MB of PC66 RAM and 2GB WD HDD, Homebuilt 450MHz AMD K6-2, 256MB PC100 RAM and 2GB & 4GB WD HDDs, Homebuilt OCed 750MHz to 1GHz AMD T-Bird Slot A, 512MB PC100 RAM and twin 20GB WD HDDs to my newest 4 year old homebuilt (that now dual boots 98SE & XP Home) with AMD 2400+, 512MB PC2700 RAM and 20GB WD HDD & 20GB IBM HDD. These have been my setups since 1999. I have had relatively few problems with Win98SE as I grew accustomed to it's quirks and learned how to quickly recover from BSODs. In fact I have had a few BSODs with XP and they take me longer to troubleshoot and recover. I find that I am using System Restore quite frequently to recover with XP. XP and drivers seem to be the main problem. Manufacturers need to start creating drivers that are actually stable and play nice with XP.

I have worked on many OEM computers and to rank the ease of working on them I would rank Dell as the easiest plus I like their driver support. IBM and Gateway tied for second, eMachines third and HP/Compaq toward the bottom of the list. Sony sucks period. Did you know Gateway support is still located in Wyoming and has gotten better.