I Have To Quit My Job.

I've reached the breaking point. They did something so infuriating I can't even discuss it in detail because I cannot be reasonable. I found out last Friday, I walked around in stunned silence, and called in Saturday because, again, I am so infuriated I would not be able to ... well, it would be impossible for me to perform my job to my own standards (I deal with the public so a cheery attitude is important).

I'm off for four days and I find myself blurting out angry diatribes, what I want to say at work, but I'm afraid I'll just look ridiculous -- and it won't make any difference anyway.

I've been there eleven years and once, around six years ago, a similar event took place and I walked. The department manager ran after me and after getting everything off my chest he convinced me to stay. It took a long time to actually resolve that situation and it was done without, to my knowledge, any effort on the manager's part (the person responsible for the problem quit, no more problem).

A large problem with quitting is after eleven years there my skill-set is pretty narrowly defined. I am qualified for what I do, but no longer qualified for jobs outside this industry. So, I'm at a complete and utter loss for what to do next. Is 7-11 hiring? ;)

------

OK, ya'll talked me into not marching in tomorrow and turning in my equipment. (Jeez, every time I think about this my brain gets scrambled with anger ... It's a very good thing I have four days to cool off, but I know when I go back I'll be unable to act normally.) How about I get liquored up? How long will that keep my mind off of things? ;)

------

I have the classifieds saved and will be doing some research. Thanks for the empathy everyone. I have weathered ups and downs before but this is not just a poor decision on their part or something I simply disagree with, it's ... Jeez, I still can't talk about it without blowing up! :D

Let's just say it: it's embarrassing, degrading, humiliating, concerns compensation, is hurtful and resulted from a ... <trying to be calm> ... bitter, jealous, hypocritical decision from one particular person in management (at least to my knowledge the decision was suggested and supported by this one person -- Whom I used to have the highest regard for).

That helped a bit -- "One person." As I stated previously the problem that caused me to nearly quit a few years ago was the result of one person, and he's gone. If I had quit, only to have that person later leave, I would have regret that decision. Anything I do now I should take into consideration that the problem, that person, may resolve itself (if only!). Bide my time ... :>

------

OK, I thought I could state the facts of the case without anger, nope, not yet. I'm getting there though. We'll see ... Thursday night it's back to work.

Edited by JDoors

best advice i can give...don't quit untill you've found a new job...you should know that the job market has changed a whole lot in 11 years...

sometimes it's best to patiently plan...and act on a well thought out one..

..from my own experience...quitting in anger always looked diferent a month or so later...

I would also like to echo what screi is saying. Quitting in anger may be emotionally satisfying at the moment, but could prove to be financially dangerous to you if you're unable to pay your bills.

My wife had a similar situation 9 months ago, she worked for the boss from Hell who was sarcastic, caustic, insensitive, and mean-spirited. She hated going in to work, but bided her time and looked for work. Eventually she found a job (it took her 4 months of looking) and she was able to quit. It gave her great pleasure to resign knowing she had somewhere better to go.

Life is so tough these days it may not be a good idea to just walk away.

Good luck with your choice:-)

I hear what you're saying JDoors. I've had some experiences and bad times also in my 29 yrs. at my job.

But what has been said so far is what I've done and things pulled through. Good luck and I hope things can be resolved.

I'll add to the group. I wouldn't quit yet. For each job I have left, I have a "defining moment' that motivates me to go. It usually has to do with the exact type of situation you are in. Now I would just do it smart. Calm down and set about the task of bringing your skills up to date. Everytime you start to get mad, think to yourself "Alright you bastards, just wait until im a ready. Then two weeks notice and I am out of here." This works well for me, maybe it will for you. This relieves me of the pressure of looking for a job while unemployed, and reduces the chance of me taking a job just to pay the bills.

Good luck man, it is never easy when this kind of thing happens.

BH

Man this situation sucks, but yeah, make sure you have some where to go. It's a very tough go in the job market today. Especially for older applicants. They have tons of young ones to choose from that they don't have to pay adequately and can just give them 35 hours a week to avoid paying benefits. Good luck to you. If you have a friend in management, I think I would try TT's idea. Just make sure you have a plan b.

Wow man,....this sucks!

As with everyone, don't quit until you have something else lined up. We surely don't want to see you in a worse situation because you acted rashly/prematurely, even tho none of us would fault you for it, but you've got a family to think about here my friend.

We've all been in a similar situation at one time or another in our lives, so we relate to what you're going thru, and you know that this community will stand behind you 110%, whatever happens. Keep your cool for now, stay level-headed, and decide where you want to be in the next year, and then work towards that.

I'll bet that when 2006 starts, you'll be well on your way to where it is you want to be, and hopefully THEN you can tell them all to Go To He!!, and a fresh new start will be ready for you.

But know this for sure.....WHATEVER happens, we'll be here for ya my friend!!!

Good Luck

Oh if hubby had quit all the times he got steamed at something that happened over the years it would look terrible on a resume. But he held tight, sometimes switching departments to get away from problems, changed jobs a few times to better ones or for better pay and benefits, but most of those times it was when invited to go to new company (or subcontracted to old one when that switch happened), only off work due to slowdown in work once but ended up with temp work in another department until he could get back to regular job and department. Worst was a year layoff before he went to work for current company and even here the company changed and so did his job from actual working out in the field to being a computer/desk/paperwork jockey due to his beloved career real work being subcontracted out, stood that for a long time with gritted teeth, then changed departments and getting new training in a different job within that company which so far has been a blessing. Sometimes that is the way to get around a bad situation, also taking advantage of any and all training available from the company helps with them, and for future needs if the worst happens.

I am saying all that to say that in his long working lifetime (he is 62 now), there have been lots of times company, or boss, or coworkers, did something that just made life seem unbearable even for long stretches of time. But he weathered them all, sometimes barely able to stand the situation, but figured he was a good worker and would continue to be, and the problem people would either be eliminated, or have to change, or whatever it took to solve it, and he would be the one still left with a good job with benefits and now even forgetting the many times it seemed so hard except for the top 4 or 5.

Sometimes it is just the idea of going to work and saying to yourself, what "they" do is only on their shoulders because I am doing my job well and I am good at what I do and I wont let what "they" do make me quit, if "they" don't like it then I will have some skill training at their expense under my belt and another job in my back pocket if possible, so let them lay me off (and if they have a general layoff with severance packages take that) rather than me quit and not be eligible for unemployment.

I ran this by my hubby and he had me add a couple of things, especially the part to let them do the firing/layoff so you will get unemployment).

Also go around looking for another job comparable to what you have, but remember all companies, bosses, coworkers, customers, etc. will at times take turns driving you nuts (even if you work for yourself! Ha!)

Of course if this is an ethical, legal, or discrimination breach by the company or some level of management, then go to the upper levels about it, or to human resources for suggestions of what to do and who to go to if it is a big company, or to a lawyer if necessary to protect yourself.

Calm down, write it down...documentation is always good to have (at home not company computer)...and think of a good plan of action that works well for your emotional and financial future. And don't let the b's get you down.

Take care my friend and remember we care about you!!!

Pat

God bless everyone.

Yup, been there done that, too...I gave a 4 minute advanced notice when I quit my "boss from hell" (loved the job) BUT I had another job lined up AND I had a meeting with his supervisor 3 days before I quit.

AND Pat brought up something very valuable--document, document, document. With dates and times. Photocopy what you need to. When I brought documentation to my boss's supervisor, was he ever educated with what was going on. I had proof, not sour grapes.

One thing about finding another job first, is it is a satisfying job hunt, you know the end is near!

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you!

Liz