>>

>> No plastics in microwave. No water bottles in freezer. No

>> plastic wrap in microwave.

>>

>> Johns Hopkins has recently sent this out in their newsletters

>> worth noting... This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army

>> Medical Center.

>>

>> Dioxin Carcinogens causes cancer, especially breast cancer.

>> Don't freeze your plastic water bottles with water as this also releases

>> dioxin in the plastic.

>>

>> Dr. Edward Fujimoto from Castle hospital was on a TV program

>> explaining this health hazard. (He is the manager of the Wellness Program

>> at the

>> hospital.)

>>

>> He was talking about dioxin and how bad they are for us. He

>> said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using

>> plastic containers.

>>

>> This applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the

>> combination of fat, high heat and plastics releases dioxin into the food

>> and ultimately into the cells of the body. Dioxin are carcinogens and

>> highly toxic to the cells of our bodies. Instead, he recommends using

>> glass, Corning Ware, or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the

>> same results, without the dioxin.

>>

>> So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc.,

>> should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper

>> isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use

>> tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc. He said we might remember when some of

>> the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper

>> The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

>>

>> To add to this, Saran wrap placed over foods as they are

>> nuked, with the high heat, actually drips poisonous toxins into the food,

>> use paper towels.

>>

>> Pass this on to your family & friends & those that are

>> important in your life!

Thanks robroy.....

Just called my wife in to read this....this is a good awareness. We've both been doing this all the time.

Going to send this on to friends and family..... ;)

Thanks again.......

Danger, danger. The sky is falling! Where do these doctors get these ideas so suddenly? Folks have been freezing food and ice cubes in plastic for many decades. Many of the foods you buy frozen at the stores are packed in plastic. Dang even blood and plasma is stored and, yes, frozen in plastic. So what do I think? I ain't dead yet and the docs need to get on with taking care of people, not "getting" something published for grants and professional esteem.

Wow, what great info from both Robroy and Bozodog!! I must admit, I've been skeptical of plastic and try not to use it--partly because I know it is made from "petroleum products", but mainly because the enviromentalist in me feels guilty each time I throw the stuff out (that's even a double-edged sword--use a glass dish and chemicals to clean it afterwards...). Like Bozodog, said, plastic is all over--even versions of it in the paint on our walls and the carpets on our floors--unfortunately we'll never get away from it.

Liz

Danger, danger. The sky is falling!

yep, sure is

Where do these doctors get these ideas so suddenly?

I don't think this is "suddenly". I recall this info being published quite some time ago...I think people took it about as serious as you do (and cancer rates keep going up)

Folks have been freezing food and ice cubes in plastic for many decades. Many of the foods you buy frozen at the stores are packed in plastic. Dang even blood and plasma is stored and, yes, frozen in plastic. So what do I think?

Hmmmm, what do I think?....I'd have to say I believe it.

Will I continue to live the way I have?...Probably.

In no way is this meant as a shot at you, bozodog, but alot of people out there might be asking their doctor or their God why they're dying of cancer. I think the medical community, while it does have its members that are out for fame and glory, also has many intelligent people with good intentions that are not just out to get in the news.... Maybe they might be listened to (but probably not) and the cancer rates could go back to what they were for our grandparents and their parents.

/me exits soapbox and states I've never lost anyone to cancer but have known many that have.

Well, I have a couple of decades on most of you folks. I don't believe the cancer rate is going up, we are just more able to detect the different strains. Many people died years ago undiagnosed or unexplained.

My Mom, bless her 79 year old soul, has smoked like a factory since she was 16. She still mows her own lawn and washes and waxes her car.

They keep touching on the fact that cancer is genetic, more and more tests are being developed as we learn more about our genes and DNA. Already we have a test the shows a genetic disposition to breast cancer. If anything we ought to look harder at the steroids, hormones, and chemicals that are introduced into our foods. Factory farming our meat animals and all the pesticides and herbicides used in the fruit and vegtable crops are, IMHO the real problem.

:lol: Bozodog, I honestly pegged you as one of the teenagers here! :lol:

Proves that we are all seventeen inside, right??

I also worry about what health problems will happen to our grandchildren with all the crapfood we are eating now. Add to the fact that junk food is cheaper than fresh healthy food nowadays. Used to be when there was sodapop in the house, we would ask, "who's barfing?", now you can buy soda for 1/4 the price of juice or milk. Glad my kids gave it up, I spend more at the grocery store, but worth it!

Liz

Hey bd you got a nice compliment from Liz, guess you are still young at heart and it shows. I agree with you about factory farming and heredity, but every other thing people enjoy seems to be bad for them so why not two of the best home appliances as well. I just added that article for information and to see what other people thought. I suppose one day some doctor will say that unless you live so far from the rest of the world you will die from cancer. Oh they are about half way there already

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyone still recall when "red dye#2 "was going to be the death of us all??

IMHO there are too many people worring about what can/will kill them,life is to short to worry that much.

Face the fact,we will all die some time,enjoy life more,freeze some water with some red dye in a plastic bottle to wash down your red meat and eggs :rolleyes:

Bozodog, I honestly pegged you as one of the teenagers here!

Proves that we are all seventeen inside, right??

Fooled ya huh, Liz? Is it my immaturity or just my computer n00bness? Funny you thought that, these dang kids are so smart about computers I keep saying I have more grey hair then grey matter anymore. Anyway:

I refuse to grow up!

When you speak of "junk foods" I always read the lable. You will note plain ole potatoe chips, sun chips, popcorn, etc is really good stuff. But look at the ingredients of the fancy flavored ones... Yuk, it looks like something from a chemistry lab project. It's almost like I can taste the "plastic" (no pun intended) in them. I bought a Minute Maid Lemonade at McDonalds the other day, it said on the fountain: "no fruit juice" :P What's up with that?

Yes, Bozodog, you did fool me----I remember the great advice you gave me when Son was having trouble with a computer game--and knew you had to be a young'un :P ....And never grow up!!!

From being a former vegetarian, actually LIKING 'health food' (although I love Sunchips and Jr. Big Macs too....) and trying to raise a healthy family, I'm a label reader, too. When the kids gave up soda, I wanted to give them variety in the juices they drink--its amazing how many "juice drinks" start with "High Fructose Corn Syrup"--they might as well drink soda if they're going to drink that stuff.

Tenmm, I remember the "Red Dye Scare"! Didn't they threaten to pull red M&Ms?? (another weakness, but I'm a girl, it's required) On the other hand, my grandparents ate steak and eggs every morning (well, till my "hippy grandmother" became a vegan in her eighties to cure gout in her foot) and they both lived well into their nineties!

Liz

I think some caution on plastic being reheated is a good idea. Though I hadn't heard about it being bad to freeze stuff in it, only that unless stuff was properly wrapped that freezer burn would result.

Some types of plastics are said to be ok to microwave with, others not, and others never fully tested as far as I know, or things were tested with funding by companies that beneft, so follow the money trail on any study if possible.

I personally use Corning Ware in microwave, but also use a plastic microwave plate cover. Shrug...Sigh!!! :rolleyes:

This dioxin problem is even in paper products. I remember a few years back the toilet paper manufacturers had to do some pr work to convince us that tp was ok... so what else were we going to use...Sears quit making catalogs!!! But they did decide later that dyes in tp were bad news. Can't remember if that was when everything with dye was suspect or not.

I have lived long enough to have seen stuff proclaimed bad, good, and bad again, and the reverse. Sort it out as to what you think is good common sense, do the best you can, and wait for the next "big news" of what will kill us.

Remember there is always something that will be on high alert from Drs etc, or news people especially during sweeps months, to scare us. I grew up doing the duck and cover routine at desk or in school basement for atomic bomb drills, as if that would have done any good... :rolleyes: My first birthday was the bombing of Hiroshimo (sp?), so have mostly lived under the threat of the atomic bomb, and now there are so many other types of bombs that are scary to think about, so I try not to worry about them at all.

Life is what you make of it, doing the best you can for yourself and family, and hopefully having some fun along the way.

So Enjoy Life folks, don't worry yourself into an early grave.

Remember all the end of the world as we know it hype at the turn of this century?

I fell for some of that stocking up advice more than I usually do, just in case there was any disruption, but only of stuff we normally use and have on hand for earthquake or volcano emergencies.

As for some of these things, if you can't do much about it, then don't worry about it as worry/stress causes cancer!!! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.