Rant Reposted...

Thanx to all of you who have showed your support thru either the PM's I recieved or in the apology thread.

I'm reposting my Rant for others to know the truth as well...

My Rant...

Hi to anyone who cares to read this...my Rant.

I don't usually spout off in public forums, but this little something has just been under my skin for awhile and a recent thread at G4TV has brought it back to the surface enough to just drive me nuts!!

I'm sure most of you who are X-TTV members and also post at G4 have seen a little thread about the 1 year anniversary of us old TTV'rs at G4TV.com. While it's a great thread on it's own, it has brought up an issue that bothers me very much. I hope I can explain it well enough to not look like I'm fishing for recognition or anything like that...I just wish to set the record straight with some uninformed friends of mine here....here goes...

Pete C. is NOT the sole reason that there is a Tech Support board at G4TV, as he has claimed credit for in the past and is being credited for now!! A little history is in order here.

I was officially the first TTV Mod to accept a position at G4, I was on my days off and at my computer when the offers were sent out. After reading the offer I sent an email back to Jenni at G4 accepting the position and asked her if I could offer some advice to help with the transition of TTV members. I got an email back 15 minutes later saying that she didn't expect anyone to reply so fast as she had just gotten to work and sent them out and I was the first to reply back, she was totally willing to listen to anything I had to offer.

I told her I had been lurking around G4 since the merger had been officially announced and that the one thing I had noticed about the forums was that there was no Tech help side. While TTV has it's share of Gamers I said, we are primarily a Tech Help site and the vast majority of members who will make the move will be support people and will need a forum to call home. I told her that we just couldn't hang out in gamer forums and wait for a tech question to arise, we needed our own board or they would basically lose almost all the TTV crowd.

She agreed completely and said that the G4 forum Admins had been also lurking at TTV and realized immediately, that a tech board was needed, maybe more and that they were already in the planning stages, just naming them was really all that was needed. At that point I said "Great.." and left it in their hands, after all it's their boards and the names for the new forums were up to them.

At this point I don't know how much Pete had to do with the boards or their names, but for him to claim sole responsibility as he did in a previous post is totally unjust, there were others of us who were also working in the background on this. Don't get me wrong here, Pete is a very close friend of mine and a tremendous help to many of you here and elsewhere, but for him to claim that the only reason we have a Tech board there is because of the work he did behind the scenes, is just too much. Those boards were in the works before Pete even signed up...

One other issue I have with this is that Pete actually reffered to me once as his "Helper" on the board that was assigned to him....excuse me...your helper?? When I started becoming ill (as some of you know about), those forums were totally out of control and at that point I just couldn't deal with them and my illness at the same time, so I took some time off. Pete wrote me some time later and said that he had asked for another "helper" since the only other they had "assigned" TO him was not around (me), and he needed another one. Well...I wasn't made aware by the G4 Admins that I had been assigned to "Pete's board" as a helper, I was a Mod as much as any other and I had actually been assigned more forums than he was.

Well anyway, I'm very sorry if any of you feel that I just needed attention or anything like that, it's not the case here. I just needed to set the record straight about this to the folks who should know what the truth is...and I needed to get that off my chest. As far as I'm concerned, Pete deserves all the accolades that he gets for his efforts to help others and this is as far as this rant goes. I'll still be Modding at G4 Tech Support and here (more here...sorry I've been away) and if folks wish to give Pete all the credit for G4TV Tech Support forum, so be it.

There....I'm done now. I may just take some time away from G4 again, I'm just a bit burnt out once more. My meds are kicking the crap outta me but at least I'm able to function now.

Love you all and Take Care!

Dave

Hi Chappy,

Thanks for posting the thread for those of us who didn't know where it was posted or missed it. You know what, that wasn't a rant--it was setting the record straight and clearing up some misconceptions. Telling the truth is nothing to be ashamed of, and exposing the truth takes a lot more guts than following the rest of the sheep. I learned some things in your thread and I'm thankful you wrote it.

Liz

I think that this is a totally acceptable post. I can see why something like this would bother you, especially when you had more important things concerning you. While I don't believe that Pete was trying to demote you to a different level of athority, I think it was need for you to express the way things are. I would hold nothing against you, Dave, in wanting to get this out, as it does set things a little clearer. I had heard the talk of Pete's "founding" of the Tech Support there. I never thought much of it until now, but you seem to be in the right perspective here. Even though I do not attend the G4TV forums anymore, I hope that members here and there will understand that between you two, there is no "boss" or "helper".

See ya on the boards

Matt

Hi Chappy.

I have no problem with you rant.

I feel ANYONE who helped in the move from TTV should get credit for it it must have taken a lot of personal time for you and the others involved. :)

To credit one person is wrong from the get go. <_<

So I say to you "THANKS" for the time you put in to help. B)

tenmm

hi chappy ive known you long before the merger .

you and goliath put me through the hoops at techtv

so i am in respect of you and of course.goliath .

at first i was skeptical of g4 .

because at first it was a board of grizzlers from the old board

and i was one of those grizzlers .

i didnt want to change.

but as most of our freinds came over .

i gradually changed .

with the knowledge that besttechie was going to come about .

and once that happened i would forget g4.

that didnt happen of course.i now post on both boards.

many times i sent in posts asking had any one heard from you.

at the time i didnt know you were sick.

but remember when you first posted here,

i answered and welcomed you.

i didnt realised you were .associated with g4

at that early stage .

pete smacked my hand for saying hell.

and ive never forgiven him

considering the lanuage that is used there now

i posted that on the board.

and some one said he was probably over caucsious.

he probably was feeling the board out

but dont worry i lot of us have a high regard for your work.

and we appreciate what you have done for us in the past.

you take care

a friend

marty.

Hi  Chappy.

I have no problem with you rant.

I feel ANYONE who helped in the move from TTV should get credit for it it must have taken a lot of personal time for you and the others involved.  :)

To credit one person is wrong from the get go. <_<

So I say to you "THANKS" for the time you put in to help. B)

tenmm

absolutely!!! Chappy there was nothing wrong with your post at all. i totally agree with everyone here and i personally want to say thank you from the heart. now i don't go to the G4 boards but i have several friends that still do and i know how it is over there and what it's like to get no credit for what you've done. i know someone who just after finishing writing a program the company he worked for sold it. it was given a fancy interface and is no used by 10's of millions of people. he will never be recognized for writing one of the greatest programs ever. you greatly helped create a Massive and still very helpful board. from the bottom of my heart for the countless people whom you've helped Thank You

don't worry about letting off a little steam here. we are all here to help you relax. come, sit relax, sit in the comfy chair

Chappy (Dave),

I could just cry. I didn't know any of this. I want to sincerely apologize to you for my post in that one year anniversary thread thanking (edited to: only) Pete for starting the tech board. I didn't know anyone else was involved before or afterwards in getting the tech board going for all of us. (edited out whole last sentence of this paragraph as it was not said respectfully for which I am sorry. I do respect and thank Pete for all he has done on G4 to make the Tech Supppot board a good board for all of us.)

I am so sorry Dave, I never meant to hurt you or anyone with my post, in fact was trying to put in an upbeat post to the year in review. (edited out a sentence.) Please forgive me.

I looked for that thread today, but didn't find it, did Pete move it as he said he was planning to do? When I find it, I will go back and edit my post.

I do remember you had some serious neck/back problems from firefighting work, had not heard if you were still in dispatch or wherever with the fire department? I will continue to pray for you to be healed, as I have from first I heard of your injuries. I hope I have that right about injuries? Or am I wrong here too??

I am sorry for my part in that misconception of what happened. Yes you were definitely right to set the record straight.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

Hey Chappy,

You're not ranting at all, man! Your post is clear and thoughtful.

It's good to meet another poster from the old TTV days before everything went to he** at G4.

I will post over at G4 when I'm feeling particularly masochistic, but, not that frequently; that's a hurting place.

I'm happy you're here helping the good people at this board. Stay well;-)

hitest:-)

Edited by hitest

Here is a copy of my now edited post on that thread. I hope this clears things up.

Again I am sorry for causing you any hurt Chappy.

Please forgive me, and accept this edited post (page 3) as my peace offering.

G4 One year anniversary thread

Quote:

thesidekickcat

Miniboss

Wednesday May 04, 2005 6:46 PM

I hope Pete leaves this up on Tech Support for the full weekend, or rotates it back here towards the end of the month closer to the actI ual anniversary.

What a chaotic scary time it was for many of us when we moved over here and had to learn what seemed like such a strange huge (what was the membership number back then, around 32, 000, I think? Now it is over 200,000. Wow!) board system, and with so many over here that we didn't know and who didn't want us here anymore than we wanted to come. I remember that it took weeks or longer, to even begin to feel like it could ever work out. Now look at us folks!!!

If it hadn't been for Pete carving out a Tech Support board for us TTVers, I wonder how many of us would have even tried to come over here, let alone stay? Thanks a million Pete!!! And thanks to all the G4TechTV people for allowing it (I bet you are glad you did now)!!! And thanks to all the mods for the good work to keep this a fairly civil decent place for us!!!

edit:

It has come to my attention on another board, that I am in error as to all who suggested we needed a Tech Support board. I regret the error and am sorry for the hurt it caused. Chappy says he was first to accept the mod position with G4 and that he also immediately offered the suggestion to have a tech board to Jenni at G4, who then said that forum administrators were also in agreement that it was needed as they had been lurking at TTV boards before the merger. So Thanks to Chappy, G4 forum administrators, and Pete, and all others on or off the boards, for making the Tech Support board a home away from our TTV home for all of us. I am sorry for leaving anyone out, and for hurting anyone, with my original post. I also hope this edit does not start up any new trouble, as I am only trying to make amends for not having all the facts for which I am sorry.

May 11th end of edit.

I am amazed to think back at all the trials we went through in the beginning as we got used to this new home (and how much we missed the old boards and old network!!!), and now in looking at the progress we have made I wonder how it seemed so hard at the time? WOW! We are all Survivors folks!!! We grew as individuals, and as a Family, to incorporate many more into our Tech Support board Family. Even as we adopted other boards as Family too, we still call the TTV boards and now the continuation of them on G4 Tech Support board, as our ancestral home.

Thanks to everyone involved, for allowing the Family connections to stay intact and grow, instead of this just being a tech help only board. You see it is the Family Connection that makes it work so well. It was a bumpy ride at first, and we have lost some family members that I am still hoping will return once in awhile (which is why I'd like this thread to rotate back here again towards the end of the month). And yet this board family just keeps on expanding, which is great, as our hearts are big enough to include as many as want to be a part of it.

Though we sometimes are a dysfunctional family, we still are family, and that's why this board is so special folks!!!

God bless everyone.

Edited: Wednesday May 11, 2005 at 4:31 PM by thesidekickcat

End Quote.

And that is my edited (I only put in the edit section and removed nothing from original due to not wanting to alter things so long after the original was done) post on G4's one year anniversary thread. I hope that helps to make amends, if not then please let me know what else to add. I am truly sorry.

God bless everyone.

Per Request: I have re-edited the G4 post.

God bless everyone.

thesidekickcat

Miniboss

Wednesday May 04, 2005 6:46 PM

I hope Pete leaves this up on Tech Support for the full weekend, or rotates it back here towards the end of the month closer to the actIual anniversary.

What a chaotic scary time it was for many of us when we moved over here and had to learn what seemed like such a strange huge (what was the membership number back then, around 32,000, I think? Now it is over 200,000. Wow!) board system, and with so many over here that we didn't know and who didn't want us here anymore than we wanted to come. I remember that it took weeks or longer, to even begin to feel like it could ever work out. Now look at us folks!!!

If it hadn't been for Pete carving out a Tech Support board for us TTVers, I wonder how many of us would have even tried to come over here, let alone stay? Thanks a million Pete!!! And thanks to all the G4TechTV people for allowing it (I bet you are glad you did now)!!! And thanks to all the mods for the good work to keep this a fairly civil decent place for us!!!

edit:

I should have said Thanks to Everyone for making the Tech Support board into a home away from our TTV home for all of us. I am sorry for leaving anyone out thereby hurting their feelings with my original post.

May 11th end of edit.

I am amazed to think back at all the trials we went through in the beginning as we got used to this new home (and how much we missed the old boards and old network!!!), and now in looking at the progress we have made I wonder how it seemed so hard at the time? WOW! We are all Survivors folks!!! We grew as individuals, and as a Family, to incorporate many more into our Tech Support board Family. Even as we adopted other boards as Family too, we still call the TTV boards and now the continuation of them on G4 Tech Support board, as our ancestral home.

Thanks to everyone involved, for allowing the Family connections to stay intact and grow, instead of this just being a tech help only board. You see it is the Family Connection that makes it work so well. It was a bumpy ride at first, and we have lost some family members that I am still hoping will return once in awhile (which is why I'd like this thread to rotate back here again towards the end of the month). And yet this board family just keeps on expanding, which is great, as our hearts are big enough to include as many as want to be a part of it.

Though we sometimes are a dysfunctional family, we still are family, and that's why this board is so special folks!!!

God bless everyone.

Edited: Wednesday May 11, 2005 at 7:26 PM by thesidekickcat

Sidekickcat, I only have a minute (butting in on Son's internet time here....) but I wanted to tell you what a beautifully written recant that was--and to tell you that your original post is nothing to feel bad about--you did absolutely nothing wrong, you were basing your post on the information that you had. You had no idea that the information was wrong, and you and a whole lot of others had no reason to doubt that information. I bet you opened up a lot of eyes with your post and I'm sure a lot of readers sure will appreciate it!.

Liz

Bless You Liz,

I have really been feeling awful about this whole mess, and thought I had solved it, then after supper found PMs saying it needed to be changed yet again. Yikes!!!

Needless to say, I am pretty upset over the entire problem!!!

I guess I will head to bed, and maybe this whole thing wont look so miserable to me tomorrow.

I am still nearly in tears, stressed out with headache and neckache from tension and eye strain.

So bless you for your kind words, they have made my day.

G'night my friend.

God bless everyone.

it dosent matter how much differences we have about each other.

in little things .

i have a huge respect for pete when it comes to.

knowledge for compts .

and he commands respects from us all in this regards.

because he has a position of authority, makes us sit back and

eye him critically .isnt that human nature.

ive had my differences with him.

but they fade in to insignificance.

for what he has done for me.

and for that matter chappy as well.

what ever chappy has said on this thread is his busness.

and his gripe.

but both men have my deepest respect .

i stuck up for pete once and my did i get a heap of pms

but i stuck to my guns.

and i still hold the same opinion to day .

to be honest if pete and chappy werent there. ide be gone .

i already belong to 3 other boards.

so i have many choices.

but i like to lurk here and g4 .

because of those reasons .

chappy has a right to voice his opinions.

marty

I have never seen a large bunch like this in such high support for its members and possibly for the members of other boards. I am not one to tell anyone that they shouldn't say this or that, but voice their heart and their minds, and Chappy, although I am a newbie still to this forum, and yet never visited G4 forums, i have a lot of respect for you because you spoke both. And to everyone else here, I, of course, have just as much respect and belief that you would do that same for any individual who happened to get caught into Chappy/Pete's place.

So from me to all of you....THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND BELIEF IN ONE ANOTHER....that shows so much more than what words can be put on a page...

Thanks Liz for the hug, I really needed it.

Everyone, I got up early this morning to edit my May 10th, 8:15pm post in this thread to give proper respect to Pete. I am sorry for sounding disrespectful in first version. I do not want to hurt or disrespect anyone, here, or anywhere else!!!

Marty you are correct, without Pete, Chappy, mlegg (sp?) (Mike) and the other mods, those boards would not be worth going to.

I hope all the strife is now finished, and we can return to safely enjoying the boards here, and at G4, and elsewhere. I have done the best I can to take responsibility for my part of the problem and to make it right.

God bless everyone.

thesidekickcat

Please luv, do not feel bad about your posting that original post!!!!

It really has nothing to do with your post, you were only going on the information you had at the time.....PLEASE do not stress yourself out so much over this, it's really not all that imortant.

The PM's I sent you were just because I didn't want to cause any hard feelings between Pete and myself over this or cause Pete to lose any respect from G4 members.

I SO MUCH appreciate your wanting to set things straight but really...you don't have to, you've done nothing wrong. My TRUE online friends here at BestTechie now know the truth and thats all that matters to me.

Please...again...do not take this so hard, you're a sweetheart for all that you've tried to do for me and I Love You for being you, so as a favor I ask that you just forget all about it.

To all of you here, and especially thesidekickcat (many huggers)...THANK YOU for your show of support, you truly are the BEST and that's why this community is going to thrive.