Hp Freezing On Startup, Reading Disc Error

Daughters computer HP Pavilion a735w AMD Athlon XP 3000 512 ram 80hd, startup screen comes up, then freezes, only error I get is one time I got a missing dll, didnt write it down, now disc read error, cant get into safe mode or back into last good configuration mode by hitting f8. If I do get to safe mode command it then freezes, wont do anything else. any help appreciated. Cant find backup or boot disc, I do have a Xp upgrade disc I wanted to use on this computer but it didnt work out.

Since I've owned a couple HPs and speak from (limited) experience...doing a non-destructive recovery works about 50% of the time...and the way you find out that it didn't work is that all your stuff is gone!...lol

the lesson learned: Backup your data for when (not if) your OS gets b0rked...also become familiar with live linux cds, they will be an easy way to make sure you grab what you hadn't had a chance to back up, before HPs recovery formats the drive like it shouldn't.

I wish that had worked, as a matter of fact it shows up on the blue screen along with the HP logo as f10 recovery something something, but if you hit the key it will either just reboot back to the blue log on screen or disc read error, or nothing. This if the first night Ive had to mess with it in a few days, will see what I can do. Dont know wether It got hit with a virus, spyware, hd went bad or what. Its only about 3or 4 months old, maybe walmart will take it back, lol. :blink:

Did you receive the recovery disks with the PC? If not you can get them from HP. What I have done with proprietary PCs that have WinXP Home on them is to buy the OEM WinXP Home disk and format the drives then installed the OS. You can then get the drivers for the PC from HP's site. They run so much better with out all of the added crap that HP or any other proprietary PC maker puts on the machines. Another thing is you can use the key for the machine and use the WinXP Home disk and it's key on another PC.

If you have the xp upgrade disk and any older version of windows then you could, as a last resort install the older version then use the upgrade disk. First off though check and see if you can boot to the command prompt, if so try the dir /w/p command to check that the files are still showing on the hd