The Besttechie Cafe'

Blim, no rain in our forcast through Sunday. Maybe it's coming your way? Always beware of what you wish for. I weeded my garden on Monday and today it's all green with weeds again...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you need some rain Bozodog, Florida is getting plenty of it. I dont' agree with summer showers, or t-storms during beach weather...but i have been here for 15 years...guess i'll just get use to it....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little rain today does not help much,disspite the wet spring we had here the county I live in along with several others are in drought condition.

Irrigation water is expected to last untell the middle of August. :(

So by the middle of September my lawn should be a nice crunchy brown. :o:(

Hello everyone.

I feel so blessed by all of you!!! :wub:

Tears of happiness in my eyes to know I have so many friends here!!! :wub:

Here is an extra God bless each and everyone of you folks!!!

So nice to know folks like my sign off blessing!!!

So many things I wanted to comment on, but now I am to emotional to think what it was I was going to say and about what... :rolleyes:

The tail end of that tropical depression that was headed our way, seems to have veered south abit. So we will get only showers instead of steady downpour, or so the noon news said, which is fine with me as long as it's not thundershowers!!!

Back to my notes here:

bozodog, I have a 19 inch CRT now, not flat panel though. I would love to get a big LCD monitor sometime though!!!

Thanks too, for the flowers that are good to use as salad garnish. I especially like the peppery flavor of nasturiums.

tenmm,

Are ground squirrels another name for prairie dogs? So many different critters that dig holes.

I remember the problems that "mountain beavers" (not a beaver and I think named for their making huge mounds (mountains) near their hole in ground entrance, also a leg breaker for livestock) were in the Puget Sound area of Washington where I grew up. Those things were as big as a big housecat, and meaner than anything my folks had ever seen except for eastern Washington's badgers.

Also I totally agree about the dangers of black widow spiders, having nearly died of a bite from one when I was a kid. And those recluse spiders are just as dangerous. I figure if a spider or other nasty is inside my home, it leaves dead or alive, or I leave!!! It is bad enough to deal with them outside, no matter how much good they do. Always be careful around rock piles, or wood storage, or under porches, decks, or crawl spaces as black widows hang out there. As for the attic, ours seems to attract bees, muddaubers, wasps, hornets, we've had them all at various times. That is when it's time for the bug/bee bombs to be set off.

Oh that reminds me for some sidetracked reason, of a bear story up in the Seattle metro area from the noon news today. The game wardens were trying to catch a bear that got to close to an elementary school, so they bought a couple of dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts and the bear went right over to get the treats but of course ended up caught in a cage. Inquiring minds (mine) want to know: what type of doughnut, and will KK be using this as an endorsement of how good their doughnuts are?

tg, I just might be interested in Firefox someday now that I see you can increase size in it, if Opera doesn't work out whenever I get around to getting it, and the Java download too, on a good dialup speed day.

So now I think I am caught up to date here, here is my usual sign off.

God bless everyone.

Hi All,

Don't know how good my sense or typing will be today :) Had to get a bottom molar pulled by an oral surgeon today--ugh!! It had a root canal that developed a "nasty infection under the root" and "had to go" (I was told it was supposed to hurt, it didn't at all--it was diagnosed by routine xray), and it was a stubborn one to get out. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, quick yank and that was it. So I told the Dentist, "I don't need no stinkin' pain pills". After he finally got the tooth out, he insisted on me taking home Vicadin. Which I was determined NOT to take any of them!! But then my jaw hurt, my head hurt, my throat hurt (from bleeding maybe?) and when my ear started hurting, I took one. I'm a wimp with earaches. Whoo Hoo, those things are strong--2 minutes later, I was in ......no pain......and I have to read everything about 3 times. So much for the book I planned on reading tonight ;)

And I'm hungry but afraid to eat anything for fear of my ....ear hurting again, for goodness sakes--like I said, I'm a wimp! Of course, the only soft food we have in the house is oatmeal, yogurt and peanut butter cup ice cream and I don't like any of them. I'll have to get some cottage cheese tomorrow and in the meantime, keep telling Hubby, "Unlike you, I won't starve to death in 24 hours!!". Mmmmm, Krispy Kreme donuts sound real good....

Sidekickcat, thank you sooo much for your story about your broken nose!! I never noticed any bloodshot eyes on Son, but I checked them as soon as he got home--just shiners under the eyes and now fading quickly. Had these visions of bone chips floating around his head somewhere.....Your story and advice was very reassuring, especially coming from a woman ( :wub: no offense, guys :wub: )!!...And Freshmen need all the power they can grab, don't they??

And I did some looking around for tricks to increase font sizes (but whilst stoned on pain pills, so double check me!)--Handplane posted a link with all sorts of shortcuts in the Tutorial Submissions Forum to answer my request for explaining the F keys (I put the post in the wrong place, ooops) and supposably control+ works with "all of 'em", Also looked in my Dummies 98 book, seeing as that's a Fat32....thing..., too. It said there is an Accessability Wizard with Microsoft Magnifier that increases Font size, maybe you have it too? Looks like it may be more distracting than just increasing the font, but maybe for small areas like reply boxes it might be handy. It lives in Programs/Accessories.

Bozodog, you are right about the rain keeping the weeds happy--ah, but crabgrass doesn't care. I guess some crabgrass seeds piggybacked in the manure I put on the gardens last year, its' all over!! But gotta love a nearby sister with horses!! Fresh stuff in the compost pile, old stuff in the beds :)

Liz

There was a movie that had similar toys, MAC. The name of the movie was Batteries Not Included. It was a facinating movie when i was "a wee-little lad" and could never get enough of it. I found out yesterday that my brother purchased a new car, unfortunately 45 minutes after he purchased it, someone hits him. The front left fender, fog lights, projector headlights all smashed and scratched in. The car damage can be fixed, but when the girl hit him, he was knocked forward and gave himself a little shinner. It was kinda funny to hear that he hit his own self, but it was definitely not pleasant to hear that he hadn't even had the car for more than an hour....that sucks...but the shinner is still funny...

thesidekickcat

Glad to see you posting again.

Are ground squirrels another name for prairie dogs?

No they are not Pdogs are bigger than the squirrels.

As for the spiders today is dabomb day :thumbsup:

Raining here today as per the weather guy it is going to rain all day,I will how ever look out the window and call him with any updates. ;)

BTW about the bear and the KK donuts. :mellow:

If I was KK I would keep my mouth shut.

Bears have been known to eat all most anything. :blink::blink::wacko:

I read a story about a bear that took the siding off a camper to get to the grease that that was in the wall because the vent had a hole in it and allowed the grease to drip into the insulation. :o

On a side note I have had a look at KK's donuts,PASS.

The ones at Albertsons will do fine. :thumbsup:

Bozodog...the airbag wasn't deployed because of the where the accident was. The accident was off center of the left headlight and they build the sensor almost centered from the middle of the headlight right behind the bumber fitting, and the accident was at an angle...and couldn't have been more than 10-15 mph...

Handplane...after talking with my brother and calming him down for the most part, he said that there other person's insurance is going to by the car from him, and give him a check to go and get the exact same car, but of course one without the damage and will have another new car...

Edited by Vile_DR
There was a movie that had similar toys, MAC.  The name of the movie was Batteries Not Included.  It was a facinating movie when i was "a wee-little lad" and could never get enough of it.  I found out yesterday that my brother purchased a new car, unfortunately 45 minutes after he purchased it, someone hits him.  The front left fender, fog lights, projector headlights all smashed and scratched in.  The car damage can be fixed, but when the girl hit him, he was knocked forward and gave himself a little shinner.  It was kinda funny to hear that he hit his own self, but it was definitely not pleasant to hear that he hadn't even had the car for more than an hour....that sucks...but the shinner is still funny...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i loved that movie. it's one of my favorites. :D:thumbsup:

as far as your brothers accident. yeah! car shopping again :wacko: i kinda fear that since i know what the business is like. you have no idea just how much retail people get screwed on price. especially when going to the big places, and then people go to the smaller lots to get away from the big lots and then get screwed there too. i'll tell you one thing thou, if you ever find a honest car dealer try to stick with them. believe it or not they actually do exist. just few and far in between. good luck for your brother.

if you ever find a honest car dealer try to stick with them. believe it or not they actually do exist. just few and far in between.

I am so lucky. My neighbor of over 25 years has a used car lot right next door. Dang! He knows how to buy them and sells about 6-8 a week. I have bought 5 cars ffrom him through the years and sent many friends there. None of us have been dissapointed. Most of his business are repete customers. He has sold, bought back and resold many cars through the years.

*batteries not included One of the best movies ever. Right up there with ET! (goes digging through boxes of video tapes to view it again) Sure did love Jessica Tandy in that one.

Where is hittest? I have that cold one here for you.

now you got me looking for my copy of Batteries not included too, great movie :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Vile your brother's experience reminded me of one a friend had thirty years ago. He bought a brand new motorcycle and had it wrecked by someone in a car at the first intersection. Her insurance replaced his bike.

Hi All,

Vile, I'm sorry about your brothers car accident, aside from the shiner, how's your brother feeling? I'm happy that insurance (and not HIS!!) is replacing the car, though!

I remember Batteries not Included! I especially loved the music. And of course, Jessica Tandy, she was one of my favorite actors. Was Hugh Cronin her hubby, or am I confusing it with Cocoon?

Well the hole in my head is healing and I only used that one pain pill. Going to wait a few days and then flush the rest. With all these teenagers hanging around, and even though I trust them completely, I'm not taking any chances of having something that dangerous in the house.

Finally started reading The DaVinci Code--very good so far, and not what I expected! So far its a murder mystery, complete with a car chase. For the brainiacs here, it deals alot with cryptology and anagrams--and even explains what PHI is (1.6..something, its a magic number), which fascinated me, not as a mathy (I'm horrible at math), but as an artist. If anyone reads it, though, the first few chapters (some of the chapters are only one page long) are a bit slow, but important as they do set things up.

Have some fresh picked strawberries before they go in the freezer!!

Liz

Hugh Cronin
I believe it was "Humme Cronin"(spl?) and yes he and Jessica Tandy were married for years and years. Both very talented, versatile actors.

Vile_DR, /me wonders just what good airbags are. Maybe this is for the "rant" thread.

Found my copy of *batteries Not included! Gonna watch it tomorrow.

Bozodog, Hume, Hume, you're right!! Doh! I knew that!

Hubby has watched Close Encounters probably as many times as I have watched Wizard of Oz. Have to admit.....shhhh....whispers.....I'm sick of Close Encounters....Special Effects are awesome, though! :thumbsup:

Liz

I think we probably done enough hijacking of Vile's section of the thread here. Sorry about that Vile, we didn't mean it. oops we probably did. Anyway glad everything is going to be okay for him :thumbsup: Talking of favorite movies my all time ones areLord of the Rings and Star Wars. Read Tolkien's book 30 + times since 1970 and one day here I am going to set up and watch the 3 extended versions on the 61" big screenelf.gif

anyone up for a Lord of the Rings marathon with no bathroom breaks?  :huh:  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if I can holler, "Where's Harry Potter?" and "Now that's what I'm Tolkien about!!!" during each fight scene..

Off to pick the strawberries! Mac, you whip up the shortcake and I'll do the rest!

Liz

anyone up for a Lord of the Rings marathon with no bathroom breaks?  :huh:  :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only if I can holler, "Where's Harry Potter?" and "Now that's what I'm Tolkien about!!!" during each fight scene..

Off to pick the strawberries! Mac, you whip up the shortcake and I'll do the rest!

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK the shortcake is done. i think i made enough for everyone. ;)

First movie rolls in 30

everyone make their bathroom trips and get comfortable. Soda and popcorn are available in the lobby (the fridge and microwave)

here we go