What Is This About?

where exactly did you find it?

i looked and came across this:

What is the Internet Archive Wayback Machine?

The Internet Archive Wayback Machine is a service that allows people to visit archived versions of Web sites. Visitors to the Wayback Machine can type in a URL, select a date range, and then begin surfing on an archived version of the Web. Imagine surfing circa 1999 and looking at all the Y2K hype, or revisiting an older version of your favorite Web site. The Internet Archive Wayback Machine can make all of this possible. See our original press release at http://www.archive.org/about/press_release.php.

Were you asking tenmm where he found Archive.org or asking me where I found the Wayback Machine?

Anyway, I'm surprised, I though everyone knew about the bot. Archive.org has been stopping by periodically for months now. Usually late at night or early in the morning. Around the same time the GoogleBot and I are on.

You people need to get less sleep; you don't know what you're missing :D

Edited by jcl

I found what I posted on this board,I copied and pasted word for word. :blink:

I want to know what Archive.org is doing looking over the profile of the members of this board?? <_<

Is Archive.org allowed to read the information YOU or I have put in our profile?? <_<

If so how much and WHAT information are they reading?? :angry:

Hi tenmm, Archive.org is a crawling bot that basically archives web pages. It does it regularly so that it can have an index of the site, to compare and contrast over time. At Archove.org you can enter a url, and it show what the site has looked like over time. I guess it is archive posts and profiles for the same reason.

M@

Hi tenmm, Archive.org is a crawling bot that basically archives web pages. It does it regularly so that it can have an index of the site, to compare and contrast over time.  At Archove.org you can enter a url, and it show what the site has looked like over time.  I guess it is archive posts and profiles for the same reason.

M@

I understand what Archive.org does,What I want to know is WHY it is/was reading Members profiles and what information it was reading??

And more importantly what is done with and who see's that information??

Hi tenmm, Archive.org is a crawling bot that basically archives web pages. It does it regularly so that it can have an index of the site, to compare and contrast over time.  At Archove.org you can enter a url, and it show what the site has looked like over time.  I guess it is archive posts and profiles for the same reason.

M@

Right, the Archive.org bot is doing what bots do and following every link it can find, including the links to the profiles.

Now if you want strange, I saw the GoogleBot trying to post in a thread a couple days ago :)

I do not like these (spy) bots collecting information on us, then publishing it on Google etc.

As I said in Marty's thread a few minutes ago, it is scary to think a stalker, or ex, anyone, could be collecting a dossier of info, including your public profile stuff, and bits and pieces of stuff we let slip in a post here and there over the years. Scary at any age, but especially for kids safety issues.

Marty's thread about an email he got due to his having email enabled.

I wrote of my findings on a Google search of my screen names awhile ago, on Marty's thread. Yes profiles were included. But luckily the "public" ones only. The wierd thing about "public" profiles... is we just never considered how very public they would be.

Personally I hate this (spy) bot thing searching out message boards. I never remember giving any permission for that to happen. But this internet world is the like the lawless "wild west" it seems, where anything goes on regardless of what "internet citizens" want.

As for the "profile" I found on me in Google for here, click on my screen name to the left of this post. That is what I found when I clicked on the Google profile listing for me. It is the "public" view of me.

Take care and stay safe folks.

P.S.

I am sorry if I was not clear on this post, I never thought that B had anything to do with the bots, just the sites like Google that they belong to. I understand their use, I just don't like them and I doubt I will change my mind about that.

As for someone being able to gather information from our various posts over the months and years and various years, I was NOT meaning B or any other board owner/operator. I was just thinking of someone happening on the screen name, Googling it, and then collecting all the bits and pieces of personal info to use for bad reasons. I didn't mean anyone in particular, just that it is definitely a possibility, to gather lots of personal info from hundreds of posts or more listed on Google, when we give out a bit of personal info here and there wherever we post.

I am sorry if my post on this or the other thread was in any way misunderstood. I have edited the other post too.

I appologize to B for not being clear on all this. I really appreciate this board and did not mean to cause any problems with my post.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat