Tonight while listening to some music, I noticed that no sound was coming out of my left speaker. This happened out of no where, as it was working earlier. I thought this was very odd, so I started playing with the cords. No matter how far I pushed in the cord on the back of the box, no sound would come out of the left speaker. If I pulled it out a little bit, I got faint sound in the left, and some static in the right. I tried the cord that connects the two speakers (as the right one is directly connected to the pc and the left is connected to the right) and that didn't work. I tried plugging headphones into the pc, and I still only had sound on the right. However this time, if I pulled the plug out a little bit, I had slightly better sound in both. That still doesn't work with the speakers though. I tried the speaker port on the front: same issue. Finally, I plugged my speakers into my iPod, and they work great. -_- Not exactly good news.

So, is my sound card defunct? I couldn't find any settings anywhere that may have messed up the left speaker.

I've got SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. (I know! its not like it was a good sound card anyway!) Perhaps I should crack open the box and give it a dusting :rolleyes:

Any news other than my sound card dying would be great, but I fear that's what you all are gonna tell me (if only I had lots of sound cards lying around instead of a lot of speakers!) :ph34r:

Matt

Are you sure on the speaker the sound isn't turned to favor the right and not the left? If that is fine and you are doing what you say you are doing, look at the sound card and make sure that the connection where the speakers plug in aren't corroded or the same on the speaker where it plugs in.

I actually had a similar problem. If i would play music (or any sound for that matter) I would only get it out of the right speaker. I plugged in headphones to the speakers themselves, and same thing unless I jiggled the chord. I tried plugging a headset into the back speaker jack, and it works fine, so in my case its the speakers. Your problem however does not sound like a speaker issue, or you would be having similar problems as me, IMO and the fact that it works on your iPod is even more suspect to the sound card thing.

(P.S. I would go ahead and try another set of speakers since you have them laying around just to see what they do?)

make sure the balance for the sound is set for center and even try setting the balance to the left speaker and see what happens. Still no sound then time for an X-Fi my friend, or at least a maybe an Sounblaster Live!.

Wish I had a Soundblaster X-Fi. I'm stuck with an old Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS

Hate to state the obvious but try reinstalling the sound drivers....I had some driver issues with a soundblaster that made it do some kooky things that I wouldn't figure would be driver related but cleared up upon reinstalling

And to Honda_Boy:

Wish I had a Soundblaster X-Fi. I'm stuck with an old Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS

You say that like it's a bad card....That card and about $130 speakers and my system could get me evicted. :lol:

Edited by tictoc5150

it ain't bad but I've been wantin an X-Fi for a while now. I've got $50 Logitech Z-4 speakers (normally $100 at most places, $70 on newegg, got em on sale at OfficeMax) and they will tick my parents off when they are around but when no one is in the house, It's belting out DragonForce and Pagan's Mind and incredible volumes with plenty of bass. This sub is pretty good.

Well! I get home today, boot up the pc, hear a nice stereo sounding windows noise and realize its working fine. :) Guess it just needed a reboot. :wacko:

that happene to me a few times - I would have sound coming out of the speakers, and then all the sudden, there would be "NO audio device installed warnings" reboots took care of the problem. but I am not sure why it does this - its wierd - glad that you were able to fix the problem matt :)

Brian