Did He Say 100 Miles On 4 Ounces Of Water?

So who here remembers "Water Injection systems"??

I do , an interesting approach lowering the internal temperature of the combustion chamber by injecting water which flashes to steam (after the gas has detonated) so you do not waste as much energy heating the engine block and radiator.

And water expands a whole lot when it flashes to steam thus increasing pressure and efficiency.

But if I remember there were always problems with corrosion and with it leaking past the seals and contaminating the lubrication oil.

I always thought that a proper steam engine made more sense. What was it the sterling cycle ?

So who here remembers "Water Injection systems"??

I do , an interesting approach lowering the internal temperature of the combustion chamber by injecting water which flashes to steam (after the gas has detonated) so you do not waste as much energy heating the engine block and radiator.

And water expands a whole lot when it flashes to steam thus increasing pressure and efficiency.

But if I remember there were always problems with corrosion and with it leaking past the seals and contaminating the lubrication oil.

I always thought that a proper steam engine made more sense. What was it the sterling cycle ?

You are correct with the water contaminating the oil. I tried water injection back in the seventies. I still take a glass of water and slowly pour it down a carburetor when getting ready to tuneup a vehicle that sees mostly low speed city driving to blow out the carbon buildup. You need to keep the RPMs up while doing it. You can see the carbon blow out the tailpipe(s) and notice the vehicle starting to run smoother.