Biggest Storm Of The Season

Saturday: Snow flurries and snow showers. Very cold. Wind chills approaching -10F. High 16F. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 70%. 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Saturday night: Snow flurries and snow showers. Low 9F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulating 1 to 3 inches.

Wait! The sun is shinning.... Looks like lake effect on the radar, and it's missing us. HoooRAY!

We had officially recorded wind gusts of 84 m.p.h. 33,000 people are still without power throughout the area. The temperatures dropped lower than expected. The winds howled all night and the lake effect roared though. The wind was so strong that I only had a couple of inches left on the ground. The main band of lake effect stayed just to the north. I took the dog out for his morning duties and had icicles hanging from my beard when I got back in the house. The wind has died and the sun has just now popped out. Warming to the low teens.

I grew up in New England, went to college in Taxachusetts and all I can say is I sure am glad I do not live in the wild northland.

It was 85 here on thursday, but we had a sudden cold front and it dropped to the forties yesterday and thirties today. They were direly predicting freezing rain and sleet; but it has failed to materialize since the air is so dry here as usual.

Looking forward to a return to the sixties in a couple days.

Pummeling that show off Pete with snowballs!

Wow, Terrorist, 84mph winds is horrible! Don't know the wind speeds here, but last night it was just roaring. Kept the flashlight in my pocket!

JDoors--was there lightning with your thundersnow? I just learned that lightning is pink when it is snowing and purple when it is freezing rain--has to do with the atmospheric conditions. I never paid attention before, I'm going to now.

Hondaboy, does your city put snowplows on the garbage trucks when it snows down there? :D I know they do that in Kentucky...of course, in Michigan, we have actual snowplow trucks and tractors, many different kinds depending on how much snow we get.

Sure glad I don't live where RV and Jsky do! Brrrrrrr....sending an internet hot cocoa to you two!

The $%#@* weatherman said it hasn't been this cold in 7 years...Global warming? Where? Thank God we have power and heat and my water pipes havent frozen, lots of folks worse off than me. Our area claimed it's first death, due to a generator and carbon monoxide poisoning. And the roads are awful (I HAD to go out today)--salt doesn't work when it gets this cold.

Methinks my rhodedendrons died--they look really, really bad. :(

Liz

Reporting from Tennessee again: my car was froze over so bad this afternoon I was late to work. I've never seen ice that thick on my car. There is still snow and Ice on my hood an inch or 2 thick. And that's after driving 70 miles and hour on the bypass. there's still icicles on the wheel wells. Man it's cold for us tennesseans. 14 degrees tonight.

LOL, Bubbabob :D But gosh, Hondaboy, 14 in "Tennesaaaay" is mighty cold! How many cars ended up in ditches? I hate chipping off ice. Guess that is one advantage that Michigan has--we just have to use a push broom to get the snow off the cars. Doesn't ice up very often, but when it does, it's a pain.

Pummelling snowballs in Bubbabob's direction, too!

Liz

My speedometer goes to 130 man (and yes It can do that.) Heck the tach goes to 9000 and redlines at 7200. That little 1.6 SOHC VTEC and the minor performance mods get that little puppy running approx. 135 HP. I wish I had the B18C5 in this puppy with it's factory 195 Horses. Thats 1.8 Liter DOHC VTEC. Most american 4 bangers with DOHC and 2.2 or larger can't come close to matchin it. a chevy Ecotec or whatever it is at 2.2 Liters DOHC and only 140. a Honda 2.2 DOHC VTEC in an S2000...........................240HP and thats naturally aspirated (No Turbo or super charger for those who don't know). That's why I love hondas. Crankin good HP out of small engines.

I'll tell ya though my it was so cold my clutch was kinda slow movin. Thank god the roads are clear. havin a slammed car with crappy tires that weighs practically nothing in the snow and ice sucks. I need me a 4X4 tacoma or 4Runner. Preferably Manual of course. Or maybe a Subura WRX. This whether really sucks for the guys I know with CRX's. Especially this one guy I know. His is stripped and has light weight racing wheels.

The wind is still blowing but not as bad. Wind chill is well below zero. We picked up another 6-8" of lake effect last night. I shoveled one driveway and about 1/2 of the front sidewalk earlier. I needed a coffee break. I called a friend to see if he was gong to my old bar to watch Daytona today and if so to pick me up. I'll have him plow the remainder of the snow and push it back far enough to give me plenty of room in case our regular winter storms arrive. I have an idea we may get punished for the nice winter we have had so far.

Yeah Liz, there was lightning but I was indoors and only saw the flashes. After the first flash I looked around wondering if a lightbulb had popped, then I heard the thunder. I peeked out long enough to see snow and got a teensy thrill since thundersnow is so rare.

Friday night I got ready for work, bundled up like mad 'cause I heard arctic air was on the way, got into my car (in the attached garage) and the thermometer said 26 degrees. Hey, not so bad. Started 'er up and within two miles of driving the thermometer plunged down to 4 degrees. I must have been driving with the wind 'cause I didn't really notice anything unusual and by then the car was pumping out some heat.

But when I got TO work and had to walk from the car ... Holy cripes!

I work on a boat (for the time being ;)) and the wind kept the water moving, but the temperature was so low it was freezing at the same time. I've never seen the entire river flowing like slush before! It was kinda cool, flowing slush with steam rising up from it. Very picturesque.

Last night was even colder temperature-wise but with very little wind so it wasn't so bad.

Wow you folks sure had miserable cold weather!!!

We just had a tip of that arctic cold front all through the NW with Washington being hit the hardest, and the East side of the Cascades for both Oregon and Washington being extremely cold.

Of course we had our famous Columbia River Gorge East winds howling through the east wind exposure part of Portland metro area. Ugly windchills Brrrr!!! We had nighttime temps in the high teens and low 20's here, and winds about 35 to 40, with gusts to about 50, closer to the Gorge had gusts to about 75. Broke temperature records all over the NW, some here in our metro area were long standing records from way back to the 30's I think. Windy and cold all over the state even at the coast.

Luckily no snow!!! For once it was a dry cold. Now things are back to normal temps, low 30's nights, and 40 to 50 degrees during the days. Some rain predicted this week, more next.

As for plants, I covered my Jackamani clematis that had about a foot of new growth (from above normal January temps faking out the plants) and it looks like it survived. I used egg cartons to make a cage around the base, then wrapped with lots of newspaper, then added 2 layers of plastic and tied it all snug tight so wind wouldn't blow it off. Also had some driftwood around the base too...that normally is there just to keep hubby from weeding to close...but during the week of covering the plant the driftwood also protected the plant and wrappings. Sure glad it seems to have worked as it's my favorite plant for many years now, grows up onto the trellis for my back deck and the purple flowers are huge and beautiful for months every summer.

There were a couple of homeless people who died during this cold spell, one in a shelter, and one in a park.

Also several house/apt fires, and one young lady and her two dogs died in one of the fires. Lots of trees down on lines, roads, cars, and homes. Some near misses from fallen trees hurting/killing people.

The power companies did a great job restoring power, though not as many outages as expected.

Stay warm folks, winter may still have some punch left.

Pat

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat