The Red Green Show

Do we have any Red Green fans here?

Remember Red's nephew Harold?

Well , this morning I was thinking of going to the first and third saturday computer fest , swap meet and sidewalk sale downtown.

It has been fairly warm lately and incredibly dry (dew point below 20 and humidity at about 9%), but was cool last night and the OL had the Air conditioning set to 68 (with that dry air it feels like 58 to me).So I had thrown on an old flannel shirt which had shrunk so the arms were to short and to keep the waste tucked in I had to hike up my jeans and fasten them tightly with a belt. I had on a white t shirt underneath and white socks and my black house slippers. I had grabbed a pen and pocket pad of paper so I could keep track of comparative bargains while strolling the site and then I saw myself in the mirror.

I was dressed as a Canadian Geek. Sure Harold has a lot more hair than I do , and I still do not wear glasses ; but it was a real shock to realize that I had uncounsciously dressed as a geek to go to the computer fest.

Needless to say, I just put on decent boots which covered the white socks and grabbed my leather coat and ball cap and went out to the fest.

I found a guy selling Dell Optiplex GX1s (350-400 MHz PII) with no OS for $5, so since the grandkids had killed the processor on theirs I bought a couple of spares (yes, why buy a processor when you can get a case , drives , and all for the same price).

I also got a great deal on some new belts , talked the guy down to two for $5, solid leather with screw rivet connected clasps. Not one of these stitched together layered ones, solid cowhide.

Lots of other great bargains, but nothing I really needed.

Already got the grandkids computer up and running (just moved the drive since the PC was identical to the one they had , now it has a spare drive too). Got some spare parts now to deal with , but that is not much of a concern.

Wow! Geek Pete! Deals abound at your shows. Ours is a sad mess. 20-30 vendors, $4 admission charge. Anything you save... is eaten up be the dang entrance fee. The best deal we ever got going to the show, was across the street from it a guy was stacking monitors on a pallet with "FREE" written on them.. Heh, three of them came home with us.

Quite accidentally. I was really kind of amused to see myself and realize what I looked like.

The computer fest here is held under a freeway , year round twice a month (First and third saturday of every month) and is free admission (the vendors pay the rent) .

http://www.3rdsaturday.com/

It is under a twelve lane freeway, and covers about two blocks , and it all looks like what is in those pictures. Lots of fun talking geek and bargaining for what you want.

he computer fest here is held under a freeway , year round twice a month (First and third saturday of every month) and is free admission (the vendors pay the rent) .

T

OOooo :blink:

Sounds like a blast. Ill have to hit that place up one day. Go to the Canton trade days in the morning and to the Dallas computer trade days in the afternoon.

You know, that "outfit" might make a good halloween costume B)

he computer fest here is held under a freeway , year round twice a month (First and third saturday of every month) and is free admission (the vendors pay the rent) .

T

OOooo :blink:

Sounds like a blast. Ill have to hit that place up one day. Go to the Canton trade days in the morning and to the Dallas computer trade days in the afternoon.

You know, that "outfit" might make a good halloween costume B)

Normally the computer sidewalk sale starts pre dawn and closes around noon , or maybe a little later if there is demand. Optimum time is generally around 9-11Am.

Been watching that show off and on for yrs... :lol:

**rv sends Pete C a case of "duct tape" courtesy Uncle Red.... :D

Actually I have several rolls within ten feet of myself now. Silver, red, green (olive drab actually). Two inch and three inch wide , mostly 60Yard rolls.

Duct tape and super glue the handymans helpers.

I actually temporary fixed my filtered water dispenser with superglue after some idiot guest over the holidays thought you turned it on by grabbing the spout and bending it rather than by turning the handle.

Sure, I'll buy a new one and replace it , but just can't find the right one.

I have used duct tape to hold together and seal a cracked window until I can get the new glass .

For years I used duct tape to hold my web cam to the top of my monitor at just the right angle.

I still use it on my favorite chair to prevent the cracks in the vinyl from spreading (Well I also use chair pads to cover the seat and back so it looks like a real RedGreen project).

Yes, Duct tape has to many uses to fathom.

Pete, Pete, Pete.....

Your supposed to use electrical tape on windows and gutters. Red made that quite clear......LOL

you forgot it's also a great way to cover those rust holes in the old car as well as mend the that hole in the muffler that showed up 3 years ago.. :P

Oh yeah and it's also good for repairing those occasional pin holes in the radiator hose