Do You Think This Is Cruel?

It is hazing, and your school is liable if the teachers know about it. A good lawyer might also make a good case that this is descrimination, since age is a protected factor in some states.

When I was in school, it was sticking freshmen in garbage cans. An escallation eventually led to a particulary bright kid wiring a couple of seniors lockers to explode. Luckily no one was hurt, real lucky since it destroyed the locker.

Tell somebody, tell everybody, just get it stopped.

BH

Yah, it seems harmless now but it won't be long before someone really does get hurt somehow, and then all hell will break loose.

Not only is it degrading to the students, but I can't believe the teachers are actually taking part in it!

I'm with the "Get it Stopped" group on this one. There are other "Hazing" activities that can be done to have this type of fun, and they can be fun for all involved including the "Hazee" and nobody is degraded or hurt by it. If the faculty is going to be involved here, they'd better make sure that whatever they do is not going against the freshman's wills, and everyone gets to laugh WITH them, not AT them.

I'm with Chappy on the teachers taking part--the teachers are supposed to SUPPORT their students! Sure, teachers shake their heads and mutter, "freshmen....", that's ok, ;) but they should not condone any hazing.

Liz

It is hazing, and your school is liable if the teachers know about it. A good lawyer might also make a good case that this is descrimination, since age is a protected factor in some states.

When I was in school, it was sticking freshmen in garbage cans. An escallation eventually led to a particulary bright kid wiring a couple of seniors lockers to explode. Luckily no one was hurt, real lucky since it destroyed the locker.

Tell somebody, tell everybody, just get it stopped.

BH

Brian's got it right...this can lead to nothing but trouble...this is the kind of stuff that get's unbalanced kids to plot murdering their classmates and school admin.. :angry2:

To me, this seems like a waste of time for all involved. I'm a senior this year and not much hazing goes on at my school (didn't suffer at all when I was a freshman) however if something does happen, it's just usually the meathead seniors being stupid.

Personally I think the whole "hazing" ritual is pretty pointless.