Laptop Fan Doesn Not Turn On

I was working on an old 400mhz p2 laptop. I noticed the case fan only ran when I was in the bios menu. When it was running either linux or windows xp, it(the fan) never turned on. Could this be normal behavior, could it be the computer never got hot enough to turn on? It must have been on a good 10 -15 minutes. I turned it off, I was kind of worried I woudl fry it out.

Some laptop fans are designed to only run when a certain temperature is reached. I imagine this is to save on the battery.

that was my thought, but I did not like the thought of the cpu frying while waiting to see if it would turn on.

The fans on some of my laptops turn on immediately at power-up then throttle back after the POST or some other temperature monitor takes over.

If the laptop doesn't feel hot, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

My Dell XPS just jumped from 50 to 70 C according to Everest, but I changed nothing.

And a System Restore takes it back to 50.

Still tracking down this mystery...

------

Back up to 70, fans screaming, trying a "ghost" (image backup) from October.

------

No joy, still reporting hot in Everest, even with the case cold.

------

Possible solution, stood it on end and tapped.

Maybe moved a dust bunny.

I did have it open to replace the keyboard (always get an extended warranty for laptops).

I thought I blew out all the dust while it was open, but I may have moved a "bunny" to the wrong place.

Edited by CurlingSteve

to add,

some older laptops (like my compaq 266) has software that tells the fan to come on.. (only ran in dos and windoes 95 ..crashed all the time in 98) I could not find the software (even on compaq's site) .. so I eneded up conneting +5 to the harddrive +5 so it would stay on.. before it would over heat.