My wife was intersted in upgrading from 512 to a Gig and so we asked the man from best buy and he gave me a PNY 512 PC3200 Memory stick.

Pny part number 6432WPDXA

Manufacturer part number - D512MPC320PT

Well I got home and opened up my comp and it had 2 256 Simm Sticks in there. Im guessing he gave me the wrong memory..Would I be correct in thinking this being that the memory he game me was 1 512 DImm?

I really want to upgrade this comp but I didnt see any simms at best buy. I really dont want to spend an arm and a leg either. This stick was 50 bucks.

ANy help would be appreciated

how many "empty" ram slots do you have,......??

if the 2 sticks that are in there now are all you can use, then use 1 256, and then use the 512 stick.

256 x 2 = 512 MB's of ram you already have.

the "other" stick, of 512 MB's will bring you up to the 1GB that you want.

if you have at least one more empty space available that is.

Edited by pro1driver

Are you sure those are SIMM's in there? What I can find on that model says it comes with 512MB DDR. AFAIK no SIMM's are DDR compatible, plus I havent seen a SIMM in a new computer in SEVERAL years. How many ram slots does the board have and how many pins do the 256MB modules have?

Is this a laptop or desktop? Do you have the model number correct?

The eMachine T6212 Desktop uses 184-pin Dimm DDR 400. It has 4 slots and will support upto 4GB of memory.

eMachines Desktop / T6212

184-pin DIMM

System Type

Desktop Computer

Maximum Memory

4096MB

Standard Memory

512MB removable

Slots/Banks

4 (2 banks of 2)

Important information about your system

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 64Meg x 64

The correct PNY numbers are;

512MB DDR Module

PNY part# 6464WPDXA

Retail part# D512MPC32CUSA

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Sorry guys fell asleep after I posted.

Everyone is right to an extent. I am sure the 2 sticks in my comp right now are simms. If the correct definition of a simm is ther is only one side of the stick with memory on it.

There are currenty 2 empty slots in my comp right now. And there are 2 256 sticks in. I bought 1 512 stick. Now everywhere I have looked has shown the same thing that the above poster stated, no simms in recent years and this T6212 takes DDR400 Ram.

Totally confused. Totally confident on Computer Model number, checked in system specs..

Edit: And yes its a desktop

Edited by kalamitsiotis

Those are single sided DIMM's, SIMM's have 30(very old) or 72 pins while DIMM's have 168 or 184. Check your mother board manual to verify wher to place the modules ie: the 512 may need to be in slot one.

Ok so single sided dimms they are..Didnt know they made those.

Ok so my next question is will this double sided dimm work in this computer then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shouldn't be a problem, check the man. and pop it in the correct slot and you should be good to go. It is possible the modules dont work together(bad module), but cross that bridge IF you come to it.

Ok so single sided dimms they are..Didnt know they made those.

Ok so my next question is will this double sided dimm work in this computer then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shouldn't be a problem, check the man. and pop it in the correct slot and you should be good to go. It is possible the modules dont work together(bad module), but cross that bridge IF you come to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest with you I havent even opened the new memory up yet, because I dont want to have any problems with returning it. But I will move 1 256 into slot 3 and pop this into slot 1. We will see what happens, I will let you know.l

Thanks

Yep, it'll work no prob, as you found out.

It makes no difference if they're SIMM's or DIMM's, as long as they match pins you can even use faster RAM than your board supports, it'll just run at the slower speed is all.

I have both in my box too, 1 SIMM 256, 1 DIMM 256, and one DIMM 512.