I'm Back.......

tg,

Nice photo essay.

It tells it all.

Although you wouldn't know it from listening to the national news broadcast, Rita caused major damage to southwest Louisiana.

Yes, SW Louisiana took the brunt of the storm and not getting the attention it should get.

Amazingly, not one single life was lost to Rita, in Louisiana.

Very hard to believe.

Amazingly, not one single life was lost to Rita, in Louisiana.

Very hard to believe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that was due to the fact that everyone listened, and evacuated.

Except for 3 people, Cameron parish had 100% evacuation.

I think Calcasieu was 95%.

Wow, TG, those are some wild photos! A few years ago we had a 'straight line wind storm' (150 mph winds) and I KNOW a photograph doesn't show the damage as well as being there in person. And boy, oh boy, you did luck out!! Thank God!

There is a bright side, though! All those downed powerlines will be replaced and you won't lose electricity as often when the wind howls. We used to lose power whenever the wind picked up, and since the windstorm, the difference is amazing. I still get out the flashlight when we get a windstorm, though. Habits are hard to break :thumbsup:

And what a miracle of no lives lost.

Liz

Welcome Back!!

Glad to hear you all are OK after all this mess, and thanks for checkin in. Sure feel for all that have gone thru this, and lost family and friends. Belongings can be replaced, people can't...

God Bless you all in this time of strife, stay safe!!

WOW!!!

Thanks for the photos and the link to the TV station photos too. Sure glad no one was killed or injured. I'm glad people evacuated and were safe, but oh the sorrow to lose so much (from both Katrina and Rita). I saw news reports saying that towns in both La, and Texas were totally wiped off the map. One was an oil town in Texas I think. Such fierce weather is sure scary!!!

Your pictures and the TV station ones look like the damage I remember from the NW's "1962 Columbus Day Storm".

That was the worst storm I've ever gone through, though where I was west of Tacoma, Wa wasn't as bad as here in Oregon. The weather forecasters didn't even know it was coming as technology not as advanced back then as it is now. We lived in a rural forested area, as was our place. We had alot of trees down, but luckily none on house or car. My Dad had to chainsaw dozens of trees all the quarter mile or more out to the county road over the next few days, and then on towards town cutting trees as he went down the road and in to places to check on people. The Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area was totally without power for weeks as I imagine were many other areas of both western Washington, and western Oregon.

I just Googled for some links about the Columbus Day storm, and here are a couple to just show you the NW can get some awful weather too, and that doesn't count the "normal" winds and rains that hit us hard sometimes, especially on the coast...80 to 100mph winds are not unusual though thankfully not every year. We, who lived through the 1962 storm all get a bit uneasy in October especially if the weather starts getting nasty.

Columbus Day Storm, an extra tropical cyclone

Columbus Day !962 Storm

So even though I live in the somewhat safe NW, I can sure relate to the storm damage you folks are going through. Though I doubt I could live where such storms are frequent, I'd be a basket case of nerves for sure.

Our prayers are with all of you Katrina and Rita survivors for full recovery from all of this damage.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

"Although you wouldn't know it from listening to the national news broadcast, Rita caused major damagr to southwest Louisiana."

Unfortunately the news media has tunnel vision. I kept wondering when they were going to report about any other area than New Orleans. Hardly ever saw anything about Mississippi. A little of Texas, but they stayed on New Orleans. I realized that New Orleans had a lot of damage, but so did other areas.

tg, glad you are OK. Thanks for the pics. All the weather updates showed SW Louisiana getting the brunt of the storm, but I never saw anybody reporting from there.

Barb

No fatalities = Good News

Good News = Not sensational enough for Network news

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point.

They do sensationalize the news a lot. Bad news is all that is reported most of the time.

It is such a big world, It would be nice to see and hear some good news. I know it's out there.

Barb <_<

Most people around this area are not looking to blame anyone for anything. We just want to do what we did before. Live like we did before. If we can do it on our own then that is how is will happen. We start cleaning up and keep going into the neighbors yard until all debris is removed.

I am glad we did not make national news, they would have edited the file to make this area look.....I'm stopping before I start.

Welcome back TG.

We need to get together for a cookout, then post the pics of what true cajuns are like.

lol

M