The Ranting Game

... *sub rant*  Son has a couple of friends who enlisted.  The recruiters promised them they would be stateside.  Guess where they are?  ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember this trick from WAY back, when I was a kid almost-but-not-quite eligible for the draft and Vietnam, then several friends and family members since then, and I'm sure it has always been used during military recruitment, probably dating back to the cavemen:

Grog,"Why you say we hunt mastadon when we fight ape instead?"

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disagreed with Cindy Sheehan right from the first I heard what she was doing by going to Crawford to dishonor her son by turning his death into a media circus. So I watched carefully to see the chinks in her character. Not hard to find after I heard about him re-upping voluntarily, and yet she talks like President Bush forced him into serving. Then I heard the rest of the family disagrees with her views. And I heard she was briefed by Move On people before leaving for Texas, and that seemed strange for a grieving mother to do. Plus the first reports sounded like Casey had just been killed a few days before she left for Crawford? I even wondered at the time if she had even had the funeral yet. I never did hear the actual date he died, thanks to all the news hype about her.

Then the final breaking straw for me was when her mother had a stroke, she only left Crawford to be with her a few days then said her protest was more important??? Excuse me?!? How could anything be more important than being with her mother after a serious stroke??? She said her mother is paralyzed on one side, can't talk, and was trying to cling to her when she said she was leaving. She said she just told her she go back because her being there was so important. I feel sorry for her mother, and pray she recovers. How could a daughter leave her own mother??? She has to be some kind of nut to do that. :wacko:

In my opinion, Sheehan is a selfish, inconsiderate, egotistical, nut case. I am sorry if that offends anyone, but she proved right there with leaving her mother's side (I bet she only went in first place to make it look good on news!) that she doesn't care anything about what her family needs. So in that case even if she had raised her son which I didn't know until now that she didn't (Thanks for info Bubba Bob) she wouldn't have cared what happened to him unless she could milk it for her political agenda.

She has NO RESPECT for her son, her mother, the probably truly grieving other mothers she has egged on in this protest of hers in searing hot weather (when some of them got sick from heat she told several of them they needed to toughen up for the long haul!), and has no respect for other people's property, and no respect for authority, and no respect for the Commander In Chief that her son Casey served under voluntarily.

And the worst of it all is she has shown no respect for this country.

Her anti-American protest aids, abets, and empowers the enemy, and by so doing this she denounces the brave service of those injured/dead or still fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan (like Hanoi Jane did), but she has no problem using our hard fought freedoms to further her own political agenda no matter who it hurts, or who she walks on or over to do it. I bet the others in the protest haven't figured out she is just using them either.

Now I have to ask what has happened to the protest since the President went back to Washington, and Hurricane Katrina took over the news spotlight??? I haven't heard a thing about her since Katrina hit. I bet she is going to be doing a book, and perhaps star in a Michael Moore movie about her (It is all about her...not her son Casey!). That would fit, since neither seem to good at telling the truth in my opinion.

Pat.

God bless America,

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

(voice of Data) "Ranting Engaged Sir"

(voice of Captain Picard) "Make It So"

ok i was listening to talk radio and this woman was ranting about Shawn Penn getting pissed at Bush and that he has no right to critisize Bush since Shawn in not in politics and doesn't know anything about politics and the he was just looking for exposure. i'm sorry but he has da*m good right to be mad, as does every other american. this so called was in Iraq is a big pathetic joke that just makes up look the big bad bullies of the world. fine but since we commited to this war we should've just sent in more than the tiny ill equiped force that we did. just go in and get the job done. this is exactly why. cause now why have trouble when we need the resources here. and bush didn't act soon enough and there were warnings that went ignored.

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

and once again there is no blame or responsibility taken. i don't even mind my government screwing up. i really don't, no matter how good you are at running things it's going to happen but at least stand up and be a man about it. try to do the right thing as much as you can. but once again Bush and his robotic administration are a giant waste of our lives. yeah i said it! he is now wasting others lives. my tag line for Bush. "The President that we Never Wanted" he didn't even get the most votes in the first election and yet he still manipulated the system to get in to the single most important position in america. fine i can live with that but do the freakind job. "ohhh sorry i'm i have to go on vacation now. bye bye." give me a break.

Jesey Ventura! i disagreeded with some of his politics and thought that sometimes he even made mistakes. but i have respect for him because he was such a stand up guy sometimes and honestly feel that he did what he thought was best for his people.

anyways my point was that that one of the things that i hate the most is fake celebrities and Shawn Penn is proving that he is not. he physically went down there and did something about it. you don't have to know politics to question your president, it's your duty to. he didn't go down there for the publicity, he didn't have a camera crew and a make up person so that he looks good for the camera. the fact that Opera didn't have makeup on earlier and looked like crap spoke volumes about her and the conditions there and her feelings. i looked around and Jamie Fox really was in the middle of a movie when he left to volunteer.

sorry if i offended anyone, i rarely go off like that in a rant. but i've been stuck watching it until i got sick and tiered of hearing about it.

(voice of Data) "Ranting Disengaged Sir"

ohh and just to add to this

God bless America, our military, and their families for the sacrifices they are making for freedom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

May Larry Bless the World cause we are all stuck together on this giant dust ball called earth.

Man, I'd like to say I'm sorry this damn war and administration has divided our nation. But that ain't so...There will always be descent between both sides. I will say I'm very thankful we have the freedom to dissagree. With Washington, our states, and each other.

But this radical, soapboxing, Sheehan, is a phony. And I believe she is being manipulated by some Democratic operatives. Maybe for a political job if/when the Dems get control again.

God bless the (adult) children that *volunteer* to fight for our freedom.

Blim, I don't think the boys (your sons) needed a lawyer when they signed up for the military. I'll bet the paperwork they signed had all the exceptions in black and white. "It's the military, for God's sake!" Even a man I work with has been called up for "active" duty in our local National Guard. He's a COOK, but the only one qulified to prepare for a certain inspection here at our local armory, while the youngin's are fighting.

(voice of Data) "Ranting Engaged Sir"

(voice of Captain Picard) "Make It So"

ok i was listening to talk radio and this woman was ranting about Shawn Penn getting pissed at Bush and that he has no right to critisize Bush since Shawn in not in politics and doesn't know anything about politics and the he was just looking for exposure. i'm sorry but he has da*m good right to be mad, as does every other american.  ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree and disagree. I agree celebrities have the right to rant, but disagree that they have the right to do so using a public forum unavailable to the rest of us (or at least a forum that is uninterested in what the rest of us have to say). Penn's an actor, my dad was a tool and die man. What my dad had to say is more important to me than what Penn has to say yet Penn, through his celebrity and no other qualification , gets international attention to every word uttered.

I guess if you agree with what they say it's "taking advantage of the media's obsession with celebrity to express their views," but if you disagree with what they're saying it's "exploiting the media's obsession with celebrity to rant endlessly about things they know less about than the general public due to their lavish and cloistered lifestyle." ;)

Oh, and I disagree with your assessment of the war and Bush and resent the implication that everyone would agree with you, and Penn, on that. 'Nuff said.

<edit> I forgot to commend Penn and other celebrities that volunteered their time and/or money to help out in a time of need, however, they do not deserve any extra commendation just because of who they are, tens of thousands of Americans have done the same thing.

... one of the things that i hate the most is fake celebrities and Shawn Penn is proving that he is not. he physically went down there and did something about it. ... he didn't go down there for the publicity, he didn't have a camera crew ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not a camera crew per se, but who brings an entourage, including a personal photographer, on a humanitarian mission? Quoted from: Herald Sun News

"... With the boat loaded with members of Penn's entourage, including a personal photographer ..."

Edited by JDoors

I have decide to post in this thread one more time here before I give up on it. The absolute way to loose friends is to talk about politics or religion.

The Iraqi people deserve a chance at freedom, and they deserved better than we left them after the first gulf war. Bush is just cleaning up the mess left by his father, and swept under the rug by Clinton. The world has changed. Most of the radical Muslim world believed we were a paper tiger (Osamas words) and that we wouldn't fight back. eight years of non-reaction by the Clinton administration reenforced the view.

So now those of us in the middle have little choice, we can't sweep it under the rug anymore. We had to do something, and that something was to attempt to create the middle easts first Muslim democracy. Iraq was an easy sell, since Sadam was a brutal dictator who had ignored and bribed the UN, and shot at our planes daily. It was badly handled, and is still being badly handled. A lot of people need to be fired. Frankly, there is nothing any of us are going to do about it, other than write letters and complain on message boards.

For those of you that are against the war, take a close look at yourselves and ask why. Are you against the war just because you hate Bush? And how much time did you spend protesting and complaining about Bosnia? By taking a radical stance and rabidly complaining endlessly without logic you doom yourself to a "nutcase" label, and no one in their right mind is going to listen to you. I understand a lot of you had to defend a dirtbag for eight years and you are now getting your payback, but will only hurt your cause in the long run. Calm down, get counciling, and start taking Prozak, you will live longer.

Now, back to the reason I come to this board...the tech.

BH

<edit> I forgot to commend Penn and other celebrities that volunteered their time and/or money to help out in a time of need, however, they do not deserve any extra commendation just because of who they are, tens of thousands of Americans have done the same thing.

I agree with you on that one. "Not equal gifts but equal sacrifices"

Is it more noble that a strapped, middle class family took $20 out of their food money. Or that a rich star gave $10k that they were only going to waste anyhow?

Wow this thread has been going for along time, you guys might break a world record of "The Longest Rant Thread Ever". :D

My Rant

People dont care enough about each other in this world. People are always greedy and will do anything to get money. Hurricane Katrina is a good example of people not caring about eachother. Ya some people did try to help but some people did not help just to make the President look bad, down here in florida where I live there was a simi-truck full of water and food and the owner held it back to make Bush look bad. And I am also tired of people calling each other gay in schools. :angry:

The End

I hope I did not start a flaming war over that. Its just people can be so stupid sometimes. ;)

...My Rant

People dont care enough about each other in this world. People are always greedy and will do anything to get money. Hurricane Katrina is a good example of people not caring about eachother. Ya some people did try to help but some people did not help just to make the President look bad, down here in florida where I live there was a simi-truck full of water and food and the owner held it back to make  Bush look bad. And I am also tired of people calling each other gay in schools. :angry:

The End...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are people like that, and then there are people who are appalled by people like that. Thank God for those who recognize and are repelled by the low-life scumbags of the world.

Not that my brother's a low-life scumbag or anything, but I do remember when I was a kid he gave me some business advice (he's much older) along the lines of, "You have to step on people to get ahead." Yup, I was appalled. Still am. But I've seen it happen time and time again, so yes, there are people like that, then there's the rest of us.

if the war in Iraq was about oil then why are we paying around $3 a gallon?...hmmm, something not quite right here....and if I remember right everyone in the UN told us saddam had wmd...and he kicks out all the un inspectors...kinda like the usa breaking treaties with the injuns...."oh, shut up bearskin"

Wow this thread has been going for along time, you guys might break a world record of "The Longest Rant Thread Ever".  :D

My Rant

People dont care enough about each other in this world. People are always greedy and will do anything to get money. Hurricane Katrina is a good example of people not caring about eachother. Ya some people did try to help but some people did not help just to make the President look bad, down here in florida where I live there was a simi-truck full of water and food and the owner held it back to make  Bush look bad. And I am also tired of people calling each other gay in schools. :angry:

The End

I hope I did not start a flaming war over that. Its just people can be so stupid sometimes. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wait a minute the guy had a truck load of food and water ready and held it back cause of his personal feelings for Bush. ok i'm no Bush lover but come on. that's just about the slimiest things i've herd yet. that just makes me :angry::angry2::angry::angry2:

yeah my thread is getting kinda big and it hasn't burst into flames yet. i'm so proud of you guys for being able to voice your rants and not let things get heated. :wub: one of G4s excuses for the pour boards was that the Tech Tv members were causing trouble but i think that all you guys were far too good for them.

I just heard one on TV. A doctor from one of the hospitals in New Orleans said half of the deaths there was because they ran out of fuel for the generator. Well, it seems they had all their fuel lined up and ready in tankers trucks. (3 of them) Guess what? FEMA confiscated them. And the fresh water they had on hand for patients. This heroic doctor and his team hung in there with the sickest of sick people. Did surgeries in ICU (where the lights were) and waited for rescuers that came slowly and undependably for 6 days. What's up with that?

if the war in Iraq was about oil then why are we paying around $3 a gallon?...hmmm, something not quite right here....and if I remember right everyone in the UN told us saddam had wmd...and he kicks out all the un inspectors...kinda like the usa breaking treaties with the injuns...."oh, shut up bearskin"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Poor Bearskin. You should write a book :thumbsup:

Oh! I heard on a radio talk show (THe Power Hour) that "they" passed a bill allowing drilling in Alaska, but since Chevron owned the land that the oil is going to Asia.

Anyone else heard this? Im pretty sure it's false since Chevron wouldnt own part of a land preserve, but i could be wrong.

Edited by Bubba Bob
I just heard one on TV. A doctor from one of the hospitals in New Orleans said  half of the deaths there was because they ran out of fuel for the generator. Well, it seems they had all their fuel lined up and ready in tankers trucks. (3 of them) Guess what? FEMA confiscated them. And the fresh water they had on hand for patients. This heroic doctor and his team hung in there with the sickest of sick people. Did surgeries in ICU (where the lights were) and waited for rescuers that came slowly and undependably for 6 days. What's up with that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Homeland security is apparently responsible for quite a bit of the delay in getting help to the hurricane victims:

Red Cross Efforts Stymied By Homeland Security

Portion:

MG: Well, the Red Cross, Hugh, had pre-positioned a literal vanguard of trucks with water, food, blankets and hygiene items. They're not really big into medical response items, but those are the three biggies that we saw people at the New Orleans Superdome, and the convention center, needing most accutely. And all of us in America, I think, reasonably asked ourselves, geez. You know, I watch hurricanes all the time. And I see correspondents standing among rubble and refugees and evacuaees. But I always either see that Red Cross or Salvation Army truck nearby. Why don't I see that?

HH: And the answer is?

MG: The answer is the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security, that is the state agency responsible for that state's homeland security, told the Red Cross explicitly, you cannot come.

check your PMs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess I wasn't important enough to be informed via PM? Edited by JDoors
(macmarauder @ Sep 9 2005, 09:11 AM)

check your PMs

Guess I wasn't important enough to be informed via PM?

Me either.....

Ok, so we're back to the "state" (homeland security) fumbled the ball... WTH? But this doc said they had the trucks staged right there, and FEMA drove off with them and left the hospital in the dark.

You know, you'd think a state and city that are in the danger zone for bad storms and/or a failure of the damn levies, would have their crap together. I still ticked off at the mayor cursing Washington for his own lack of leadership. And the inept governor sitting on her hands while the storm blew.

Edited by bozodog

I'm with you, Bozodog, I can't figure out whether it was State Level Homeland Security/FEMA or National Level Homeland Security/FEMA that makes me so angry. Everytime I read something about FEMA, the blame changes. I don't know which entity to be mad at!!! And it frustrates me, because I'm really angry....at someone :)

Another thing I can't figure out----does anyone know who is getting the RV's that Michigan (and I imagine other states, too) is sending down there? Are they for FEMA employees or are they for evacuees? Or both? That's another subject I keep hearing doubletalk.

And another thing (I'm a bit pent up, I guess--too ignorant and chicken to post till now) The news was requesting NEW-in-the-package bedding, towels and pots and pans for these RVs. Why NEW?? (that's what makes me wonder if they are for FEMA) Why not "gently used and clean" items? I imagine that the only thing these folks would require being new would be a toothbrush. When I stayed with families in Denmark, I would have been appaled if they bought new bedding just for me.

Liz

I'll give FEMA and Homeland Security a teesy bit of slack because they have not had to deal with this large a situation since their reorganization (which should not have been done, 'nother story). Yes, it would have been nice if they had all this figured out, all the 'who's responsible for whats,' BEFORE disaster struck, but we ARE dealing with government bureaucracies here. If you can name a government bureauracy that isn't inept I'll consider retracting that small bit o' slack.

As for "new" vs. used supplies, they aren't saying you don't know how to wash a blanket, they're saying they don't have the time to deal with ANY additional problems or additional manpower used items may involve (from keeping them folded while they distribute them to possible contamination like bugs or worse).