Puppy Advice?

Hi All,

One of my "adopted kids" got a 6 week old chocolate lab yesterday! They are trying to crate train her, as that is the "newest thing" and will seperate the pup from the cat when there is no one home ;)

Poor Amanda came over today looking absolutely exhausted and teary-eyed. Puppy doesn't like the crate and whines whenever Amanda leaves her sight. I told her that I have heard there are some tricks to crate training and she should also investigate techniques for "seperation anxiety" before puppy eats a couch or something when "her people" leave her.

I could google, (I told her to google, but puppy isn't allowed upstairs where the computer is, and again, she whines when Amanda leaves her!) but first hand experience is much more helpful! Any advice that I can give her?

Thanks,

Liz

Let the cat and the dog get used to each other. It might take a little while, but it will happen.

I used to have a 120 lb., long haired German Shepherd, that loved our three cats.

When we got the dog it was a puppy, and the cats were grown. At first the cats would give the dog hell, but eventually they became best buddies. Two of the cats would even sleep on the dog, after a tough play session. I think the dog thought he was a cat, at least he acted like he only weighed 10 lbs. Them playing together, brought many hours of entertainment.

Imagine a 120 lb. dog trying to chase a cat under the sofa. :)

Also, spend a lot of time with the dog as a puppy, playing with, and training him. They're easier to train when they're young, but keep the training sessions short. They have a short attention span when they're young (10 - 15 mins. tops).

As far as disciplining the dog goes, the best tool I've found, is a spray bottle, filled with water. A shot to the head, and a firm NO will go a long way. Before long, you'll be able to dispense with, the spray bottle.

TG, I agree with you about cats and especially big dogs getting along. This is a chocolate lab and the cat previously "owned" a dog, so they should get along fine. Your story made me laugh--although I'm imagining the cat trying to chase the 120 pound dog under the couch :P

The lab I grew up with used to babysit our cat's kittens when she needed a break--we have photos of the 3 kittens crawling all over her.

And Terrorist, thanks for those links! I emailed them to her (if she ever gets time to go online!) I also reminded her yesterday, that she was just a baby and babies DO try one's patience and sleep! Didn't console her much, though--methinks she was just to tired!

Ahh, I'm so thankful my dog was 4 years old when we got her!!! ;)

Liz

Wow, Bozodog and B,

Just took a quick look at DogReader--I'm sending Amanda that link, too, thanks! I have a feeling she will use that site for many years. That would have been a site that would have been helpful when I got Sandy, as she was a 4 year old that was neglected and abused. Had many people tell me, "she's hopeless", and I would answer, "but just look at this face!!" A year later, aside from being a little "neurotic", she was a totally different dog--although I don't know what I did besides figuring out her "soft growl" is a purr, and giving her a stable loving home.

Copy, Paste, Email! and thanks

Liz

Aye, DogReader is great!! The person who runs it is very knowledgeable, and very nice. B)

B

For the folks who do not know who is responsible for DogReader, he is Mike Healan, and he is also the owner of SpyWareinfo.com.

Spywareinfo.com is probably the best regarded AntiSpyware site on the Net.

For the folks who do not know who is responsible for DogReader, he is Mike Healan, and he is also the owner of SpyWareinfo.com.

Spywareinfo.com is probably the best regarded AntiSpyware site on the Net.

Actually he is just the webmaster there, his editor for the newsletter, etc.. (Catherine aka Noggie) is the actual site owner. B)

B

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

One of my "adopted kids" got a 6 week old chocolate lab yesterday!  They are trying to crate train her, as that is the "newest thing" and will seperate the pup from the cat when there is no one home  ;)

Poor Amanda came over today looking absolutely exhausted and teary-eyed.  Puppy doesn't like the crate and whines whenever Amanda leaves her sight.  I told her that I have heard there are some tricks to crate training and she should also investigate techniques for "seperation anxiety" before puppy eats a couch or something when "her people" leave her.

I could google, (I told her to google, but puppy isn't allowed upstairs where the computer is, and again, she whines when Amanda leaves her!) but first hand experience is much more helpful!  Any advice that I can give her?

Thanks,

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blim, whatever it takes, get the dog treated now. Take it to an shrink if you have to.

My S.O. is a dog nut. Bear, her 13 year old cockapoo, has been going through seperation anxiety for the last.........13 years. The dog follows her all around the house like a shadow. When Bonnie goes away on business or vacation, I have to give the dog Valium. Otherwise it will just sit, sulk, and look out the window for a week, not eating, going outside, etc.

Bear is a great example of why I like cats.

Joe

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you all an update and a thankyou! Amanda DID read the advice and links I printed off and emailed to her (I know this because I screwed one up and she had me resend it) and the puppy is doing great now, and Amanda is getting a full nights sleep! As far as the crate goes, the puppy now hides my son's shoes in her crate--seeing as she loves Son, she must now love her crate, too(teething questions may be next!)

Amanda went camping last weekend and Puppy did just fine without her! She even discovered how much fun chasing and pouncing on a swiffer is....(Amanda's mom is less than thrilled ;) )

Thanks again, you folks are wonderful!

Liz, Amanda and Charley the puppy