Gas Price Talk Radio

hmmm the last time i herd that it was just an exaggeration to get more people to fill up. the gas here just went down to $2.16. you never know whether the gas is going to go up or down most of the time. maybe there should be and economist that controls the prices. like Allen Greenspan.

besides some day i'll finish this generator and we'll all be driving no wheel drive cars. i've been working on an idea since i was 12 and eventually i'll figure it out. even if it takes me my whole life. don't know why but i share the the answer is staring me right in the face and i can't rest until i find it.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Argggghhhh!! You're right, Macmarauder! Guess what? Remember the gas increase rumor I posted about??? Didn't happen--two "local" network newscasts (Grand Rapids, a good hour from me, but as local as we get) even reported the upcoming increase in gas.

I guess this whole thing evolved from gas station employees at a "soon to open Walmart gas station" were hanging the prices on the sign. They posted the price as $3.20 instead of $2.30!! I guess in Mount Pleasant, which apparently where this "soon to open gas station" is, competing stations raised their prices to match when they discovered the sign. So Mount Pleasant was the only area to panic in.....

Michigan's governor is even getting involved, so the rumor and gas tank filling spread far and wide. I guess she's going to "get to the bottom of this", which means a couple of new workers will probably get fired :(

Liz

Chit! What's up with that? Folks are on *panic* mode with gas prices. And wouldn't ya know Grandholm (the Canadian liberal) would have "under paid workers" fired to push her re-election campaign. For heavens sake! We *still* pay less than the rest of the world for gas. Maybe it's time for the whinners to get smaller cars or plan their trips for running around. In fact, I figure if you can afford a new "gas hog" SUV, you should just shuddup and deal with it.

Did that gas rumor get as far south as you, Bozodog? I guess WZZM and WOOD were the stations to broadcast the "price jump" (WZZM's usually right, though!). Do you get those stations? We get WWMT, but rarely watch the news on that station.

Liz

Jeesch, Blim. I seldom even watch the "propaganda" local stations. If I watch news at all it's FOX.. I hate the fluff and time spent on "national" news, when they should be covering more of the local stuff.... Good or bad. We get WOOD and WWMT, have cable so the world is open to us.

And no, there was no panic here that I noticed.

I like Fox, too (Hubby hates it, though, I don't know why) I usually just tune in for the "weatherguess" and count on the newspaper for the local news as our local news is out of their reporting area. Glad it didn't hit your area, cars were lined up on the street like the good old fashioned "gas crisis" in the '70s.

Liz

(Hubby hates it, though, I don't know why)

Maybe he's a closet liberal...

I sure wouldn't get in line for gas... Guess I'm lucky, our town is small and I can go over two weeks on a fill up doing all the errands and getting to work.

been $2.19 here for over a week now, $2.39 near Baltimore. Glad I live out in the boonies. It was $2.19 when we left for vacation and again when we got back

Ha! I *had* to fix the squirter for the Brit's road test. So, I took a look at my Plymouth mini-van and pulled off the the hose and squirter from the right front wiper. Now then I needed a coupler to join the two 1/8" hoses. Now in the interest of saving gas, I decided not to drive off to the auto parts shop or hardware store. Rummaged around in my inventory (read: junk boxes) And found and old antenna from a cordless phone. Whalla! A bit of pipecutter and we now wash our back window.

aaahhhhh i can see it at the car show now. my new custom minivan. i hit the switch and the rear hatch unlocks and pops open, lifts up and a spray spout on the top of the bumper squirts the car behind like a female pip. then from be hind the back seat horse turds are launched with an automated potato gun.

no fancy paint job or custom interior need here. i can honestly say that there would be no other car like it and the judges wouldn't know what to do with it. do you think that it might have a chance of winning any award or just get tons of laughs from admiring drivers?

Macmaruder, I bet you have no idea how many people would buy it!! :thumbsup: In the meantime, I'll just keep pulling off the road to let the tailgaters pass. Besides, my "passive driving" drives my kids absolutely nuts, which is always fun :)

Liz

I'm not so concerned with the tailgaters... I leave 'em in the dust! It's the jerks that don't use their turn signals, pick their noses while the lite turns green, read, comb their hair, and talk on the cell phone.......etc, that I wanna shoot chit at.

$2.39, Bozodog? Geez, that mean it'll go up here. It's $2.27 now. Still lower than RV, though (my condolences!)

Kids went to the car show/parade and reported over 400 cars participating, but nothing spectacular this year. :( There was only one car that "shot fire out of the back" (yes, there's a special phrase for it, but I don't remember what it is...!) No cars stalled after "pealing out", which is always funny (ok, to me, anyways! Vroom, squeal, sputter, HA!). Quite a few cars with "the little tires", I translated that into the "gangster cars" of the '40's, they were impressed with them. And a bunch of Beetles, which seems strange. I don't picture them as "Show Cars". My Dad's 1949 truck was in it, driven by Brother-in-Law. Next year, the kids talked about riding in the back of it.

Liz

1949? How kewl... Is it restored? Or wearing it's years proudly? The street rods from the show here cruise the "strip" like we used to do in high school. Reving the engines, squealing tires, and blue flames coming out of the headers... Great show everynite for 3-4 days. I *will* be getting lots of pics this year.

Here's one from last year

And another

One more

And my favorite of the show....

PICT0093.jpg

It's pretty much restored, but was in amazingly good shape when Dad bought it. Dad has a "gift" with finding really great old cars (my Mom had a 1965 Mustang when I learned to drive *fun car!!* and then a 1972 Cutlass--she liked the old ones!). Tim (brother in law) is a "backyard/hobby mechanic", and Dad basically gave the truck to him for a playtoy (it's still Dad's but lives at Tim's house :) ). It has new paint and I'm sure some bondo--- You know MI winters--brutal on exteriors! Considering it still runs great, I'm sure Tim did quite a bit of engine work, too. Never saw the interior....

Saw a blurb today on MSNBC. A Jet engine powered race car--looked like a "top fuel dragster" (had to ask Hubby what the long narrow cars that go real fast were called...) Pretty neat!! Had fire shooting out of its back end and had (I think...) 10,000 horsepower. I'm not sure, I was too busy watching the video. It was racing a small plane and beat it in a short distance.

***Oooooh, Bozodog, I especially like #2 link!!! :thumbsup:

Liz

Me too, Blim. But my favorite is the purple one with all the chrome. The pic does not do the paint job justice. It was so deep, you felt like falling in. And lots of the colors didn't show up. It was at nite and I think the flash washed it out too much. (or it coulda been the photographer) I hope to see that one again this year in the daytime....

Keeping old cars is a labor of love. Those street rod guys drive on the roads everywhere. And then go home and polish every little nook and cranny. Many years it rains all during the show. Doesn't seem to phase them a bit.