Gas Price Talk Radio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" ......why OOO why is gas price such a big deal here when most of the rest of the world is paying way more than us anyways? are we just spoiled? <_< come on you know it's true.."

Most of the rest of the world doesn't go driving aroung in gas guzzlers like Americans seem to crave either.

The price scheme seems to be that it goes up for awhile, drops down again, but then goes up even higher than the last time. Keeps spiraling. So when it drops down to $202.9 you're happy that it's not $229.9 anymore. Then it jumps up to $2.39.9 for a few weeks, then down to $2.19.9 Again, you're. happy "thinking" that it's cheaper again.

My "92 Ranger needs to be replaced. I just spent 3 days overhauling the cooling system, brakes, timing belt. What a P.I.T.A!

I'm looking at truck prices and can't beleive the money people expect for used vehicles. Unbeleivable. $12 to 17 thousand for trucks with over 100,000 miles on them!

I gues the only proactive measure I can take is to get something with the best gas milage I can find.

And now in keeping on the theme of my vehicle woes, is a little tune By the Rolling Stones:

..........."I don't wanna be your beast of burden....."

i've been watching this new showcalled "30 Days"...The most recent one is about alternate fuel... i'm thinking moo poo and veggie power ... ;)

Anybody catch the show?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't see that, but I just listened to a podcast from NPR about Rudolf Diesel

I didn't know that his original design was to use bio fuels, not petrolem.

Apparently, there is considerable usage of recycled vegtable oil, etc. going on.

Alternate fuels will never make the grade as long as we want roomy vehicles and horse power. Americans don't want a battery powered roller skate. And right now our infrastructure won't support it.

You bet we are cheaper than most other nations. And MPG has gone up and up for years for the horse power we expect. But then I wonder... My old Chevelle had a 400 small block. After many tweeks it gave me 18 MPG on the highway. That was a car that weighed over 4200 pounds. Now folks are bragging their Impalas get 18MPG.. I'll bet the weight is less than 3500 pounds and the engines are so computer complex that even the dealership has trouble fixing them. (must be M$ software) So maybe all they have done is increase dealer profits and emissions, by lowering the weights.

The UK pays about $8 a (US) gallon. and have a *yearly* $700 (US) tax on anything over 1.4 liters... Hell, we have motorcycles larger than that here. *wonders what gas costs in the mid-east, like Saudi Arabia....

" ......why OOO why is gas price such a big deal here when most of the rest of the world is paying way more than us anyways? are we just spoiled? <_< come on you know it's true.."

Most of the rest of the world doesn't go driving aroung in gas guzzlers like Americans seem to crave either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

one thing that you've got to remember is that the american market is completely different than the rest of the world. for example gas is not the fuel source of choice in great britain, it's diesel fuel. which is funny since diesel fuel is a by product of the process of making gasoline. so gas here is cheaper and diesel is cheaper there. also the gas grade here compared to elsewhere is so lower quality. for example one thing that's interesting is running a mercedes for example is not designed for our gas. the injectors have always had problems running our gas. well most of the time you won't even notice but ask a professional mercedes repairman from abroad and he'll have a list of horror stories about mercedes injectors in america.

and then there's design. i love this part because it's so true. older to newer cars could get even better gas mileage than you think. remember america hasn't been getting hit by the gas crunch as hard and as long as the rest of the world. so we haven't pushed as hard to design car mileage conservative cars. where'as some parts of the rest of the world have been pushing for far longer. another example is the cost of cars and driver licenses here compared to the rest of the world. it's really nice to drive on the autoban at any speed that you want but it cost (and i'm just guesstimating here) $2,000, that's dirt cheap compared to getting your license here. we have a far wider range of people that drive here because of this.

btw yes i think that we are spoiled and love it. :thumbsup:

The price scheme seems to be that it goes up for awhile, drops down again, but then goes up even higher than the last time. Keeps spiraling. So when it drops down to $202.9 you're happy that it's not $229.9 anymore. Then it jumps up to $2.39.9 for a few weeks, then down to $2.19.9 Again, you're. happy "thinking" that it's cheaper again.

My "92 Ranger needs to be replaced. I just spent 3 days overhauling the cooling system, brakes, timing belt. What a P.I.T.A!

I'm looking at truck prices and can't beleive the money people expect for used vehicles. Unbeleivable. $12 to 17 thousand for trucks with over 100,000 miles on them!

I gues the only proactive measure I can take is to get something with the best gas milage I can find.

And now in keeping on the theme of my vehicle woes, is a little tune By the Rolling Stones:

..........."I don't wanna be your beast of burden....."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Joe, Pretty Kitty!

I agree with you when you mention the gas price "scheme"--its the up/down stuff that gets so darned frustrating, and I never noticed the "rising low price" until you posted that--sneaky way of raising the prices gradually. :angry:

I'm sorry to hear about your truck and I feel your loss! Son has been car shopping for the past couple of weeks, and you're so right about the high prices for vehicles with such high mileage. Sure the "newfangled fuel injection systems" supposably get more mileage out of an engine, but who wants to pay 5 figures for a vehicle with more than 100,000 miles??? What happened to price depreciation???? Macmaruader told me to "take my time looking" and that was great advice, so Joe, take your time! Passing it on.

And now to our car shopping adventures with an update--found a Car Lot that I was really impressed with and some new ideas for the expert opinions here!

"to refresh your memories", these were the top considerations :)

1. 1996 Cavalier, 4 door, 93,587 miles, $2995

2. 1998 GeoMetro, 4 door, 75,000 miles $2395

3. 1998 GeoMetro, 4 door, 78,000 miles $2950

**we really liked the Metros, but soooo many people are adamant about calling them "death traps" because they're too small. My "easy going Dad" (survived raising 5 daughters, at one time we were ages 13-18--nothing rattles him) threw a fit and said, "tell me how good the car is when you scrape my grandson off the road"--his reaction shocked me! He didn't even soften when I told him Metros are basically Toyotas, and he swears by "Ty-Otas", only cars he'll buy.

The "new considerations"

1. 1999 Chevy Lumina, 4 door, 92,000 miles, "one owner"--$3900 but salesrep says he can get it "kinda close" to our $3000 limit, probably around $3300-3400(loantime for mom and dad, but only about $300)

2. 1998 Ford Taurus SE, 4 door, 85,000 miles, Durate V-6, Alloy Wheels-- $3750, and salesman said he should be able to get this down to $3000 (no loan needed!) I like this car--it has a CD player, which Son likes and seems like brand new. Never had a Ford, though....know nothing about them, but there are a lot of Tauruses on the roads...

What I appreciated is that when the Salesrep heard of Son's limit, he was willing to dicker, the first to do so. Being an old salesrep, I appreciate someone trying to come out with his/her best deal right off the bat.

At a different lot:

3. 1995 Cutlass Supreme, 4 door, 108,000 miles, $2995

Also thinking since these cars are "old lady cars" the insurance will probably be cheaper and they're not "cop magnets", either.

Sooo, whaddya think??

Oh, and Gas is $2.37 here in W. MI. Better than $2.50, but I see Joe's pattern....

It's hot (hit 90!! and humid), need some mellow Jackson Browne tunes, Macmarauder. I'll share my iced tea.

Liz

Oooo iced tea sounds good right now. B) sooo refreshing! B)

the best driving car will be the 98 Taurus. which V6 is in it? (3.0 or 3.8) that is a good year for Taurus and the 3.8 is a good engine.

the Lumina is a nice car, style maybe a little more sons taste out of choices.

i'd stay away from the Cutlass, they're nightmares when it come to reliability and repairs.

the metros are easily the best economical but lack in power, son defiantly won't like that.

the 96 Cavalier would be a good little car for son. depending on which engine he might even like driving that.

BTW just incase anyone is wandering i think that the Chevy Cavalier is the most common car on the roads or at least it used to be a while back. the Ford Taurus is the second and i think that it's the most common now.

also if anyone is looking for new or newer cars and is heavily concerned about gas mileage my personal suggestion would be. take a look at volks waggon diesel cars. hondas are all the rage but i personally see alot of potential in those vw diesel engines.

B) and now to slow cool things down a little "All Good Things" by Jackson Browne

Hmm, Macmarauder, I don't know what size engine the Taurus has--but I THINK he mentioned the bigger one (I hear engine sizes and my eyes glaze over. I remember 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder!) I hoped a Durate-V6 (I have no idea what Durate means, the salesrep wrote it down!) would give the answer!

I did love driving my little Cavalier wagon, nice and small, handled beautifully, it basically drove itself, but when Bubbabob mentioned Cavalier's reliability, I realized that it was in the shop a lot. I blamed having over 200,000 miles on it, but it did have a crush on Bruce the Mechanic, I think!!

And yes, good ol' Luther!! He'd go good with iced tea, too!

Oh, and Echobay!! Just today, my folks were talking about the show 30 Days. They love that show and also highly recommend it! They say its interesting, educational and humor all rolled into one show. They tape it and they're bringing me the tape of the "Commune Show" (if they didn't tape Becker over it :D )

Liz

Gas is $2.22-$2.24 depending on where you go,these are selfserve.

Will be going south here soon got to wonder about prices down there.

Anyone in Arizona??

I will be using Hwy-93 to Phoenix and then I-10 to Tucson. :mellow:

Edited by me,Hwy 93 is correct. :blush::blush::blush:

Anyone in Arizona??

I will be using Hwy-97 to Phoenix and then I-10 to Tucson.  :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$2.33 to $2.63 in Phoenix. The Arco's seem to be lowest.

Joe

Highway 97? Where you coming from?

Anyone in Arizona??

I will be using Hwy-97 to Phoenix and then I-10 to Tucson.  :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$2.33 to $2.63 in Phoenix. The Arco's seem to be lowest.

Joe

Highway 97? Where you coming from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OOps Lost before I left, sorry that is hwy 93 :blush::blush::blush:

*hands tenmm a map.. (knowing full well "real men" don't use maps)  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must then place myself in the relm of unreal men :thumbsup:

I do read maps(part of my training)I simpley had a gray headed moment(Ihave posted here that I suffer from CRS :wacko: )

This is not the first time nor will it be the last one. :rolleyes:

It has been two years that I have been this far south so the number of wrong turns shall be great.... :blush:

Man i've been trying to get to this thread but haven't been able to sit at the 'puter for 5 minutes...Always something...July has been about birthdays,baby showers and straggling Graduation partys..And now lighting...Posting and running...

Has anybody requested... Hot in the City ?

Hey mac ...Ya know you have me looking at gaswatch .org all the time now right?But i've been using lots of the tweaks and twicks from this thread..And i thanks ya! ;)

Yo Joe...Thanks for the link to Rudolph Diesel. Very intriguing ...i never realized his vision was earth friendly or that he was cut short in life.

Luck to you on your vehicle hunt...We just went through that. Partner did not buy the truck. Just couldn't justify the MPG with no pay load to speak of. His job was taking him out of state often ,the company got grumpy about his gas allowance...Ya know.

The show i mentioned... "30 Days"...Gave the audience a glance at Hondas new hydrogen car. But the focus was on the people that work the "Dancing Rabbit "Eco-ranch. It was pretty cool.But they seemed to focus to much on the work rather then the rewards. <_<

What's up bozodog...Oohh Luther ... Good choice boz...

Ya know i get so discourged with our nations priorities.i hear what you're saying about alternate fuel ..It is so sad that acidic rains and oceans, an almost depleted fresh water supply out west, broncial disease, cancer and compromised ozone layer are still not enough incentive for us to change our life styles.Our lands are raped and dying. We know it and our leaders know it...But we can't work it into the budget... i've mentioned i'm a tree hugger right?

Hey i saw your post about ...Wait different thread...The made in (anywhere but here) post...Our 2004 exports ...Billions...Our Imports...Trillions!

Get a load of us.. :wacko:

Hey blim...Hope you get a few minutes to catch the "30 Days" tape between "Becker" LOL..This series was a jump off the movie "Super Size Me"..Got little attention til the network picked it up.They've done shows where they lived on minimum wage in Columbus OH ...Lived with Muslims... Ya know the old "Walk a mile in my shoes" with a politicals and humor on the side.Hope you likee! i was rather disappointed with the 2 people they sent to "Dancing Rabbit". imho...They need some lessons in gracious living and tact. Eco-ranching has earned my respect and they didn't focus enough on the advantages and rewards of the way of life.

Side note...Hey what is it about mechanics named Bruce? i told my partner we needed to take our van in because the fan is making noise (partner is a bit deaf) and he was like. Uhhh...i'm taking it on Monday and he actually sucked in his belly..i hate taking it in anyway... (Um Bruce doesn't work on Mondays)...It was fine by me...i had to laugh at my partners thinking though.Hey "Bruce" is younger then my oldest son son..Like i need another child...But what an incentive program for my partner. He! He! He! i haven't seen my guy suck it in since the (Was it Coors Twins?) were signing 12 packs...LOL.. Oh ..Your CAR had a crush on Bruce...DOH..Oh my bad! :blush:

Hey tenmm..Isn't it Arizona that's about to break it's old record of consecutive days of over 100 degree temperature? Safe journey tenmm! B)

Man i've been trying to get to this thread but haven't been able to sit at the 'puter for 5 minutes...Always something...July has been about birthdays,baby showers and straggling Graduation partys..And now lighting...Posting and running...

Has anybody requested... Hot in the City ?

Hey mac ...Ya know you have me looking at gaswatch .org  all the time now right?But i've been using lots of the tweaks and twicks from this thread..And i thanks ya!  ;)

Yo Joe...Thanks for the link to Rudolph Diesel. Very intriguing ...i never realized his vision was earth friendly or that he was cut short in life.

Luck to you on your  vehicle hunt...We just went through that. Partner did not buy the truck. Just couldn't justify the MPG with no pay load to speak of. His job was taking him out of state often ,the company got  grumpy about  his gas allowance...Ya know.

The show i mentioned... "30 Days"...Gave the audience a glance at Hondas new hydrogen car. But the focus was on the people that work the "Dancing Rabbit "Eco-ranch. It was pretty cool.But they seemed to focus to much on the work rather then the rewards. <_<

What's up bozodog...Oohh Luther ... Good choice boz...

Ya know i get so discourged with our nations priorities.i hear what you're saying about alternate fuel ..It is so sad that acidic rains and oceans, an almost depleted fresh water supply out west, broncial disease, cancer and compromised ozone layer are still not enough incentive for us to change our life styles.Our lands are raped and dying. We know it  and our leaders know it...But we can't work it into the budget... i've mentioned i'm a tree hugger right?

Hey i saw your post about ...Wait different thread...The made in (anywhere but here) post...Our 2004 exports ...Billions...Our Imports...Trillions!

Get a load of us.. :wacko:

Hey blim...Hope you get a few minutes to catch the "30 Days" tape between "Becker" LOL..This series was a jump off the movie "Super Size Me"..Got little attention til the network picked it up.They've done shows where they lived on minimum wage in Columbus OH ...Lived with Muslims... Ya know the old "Walk a mile in my shoes" with a politicals and humor on the side.Hope you likee! i was rather disappointed with the 2 people they sent to "Dancing Rabbit". imho...They need some lessons in gracious living and tact. Eco-ranching  has earned my respect and they didn't focus enough on the advantages and rewards of the way of life.

Side note...Hey what is it about mechanics named Bruce? i told my partner we needed to take our van in because the fan is making noise  (partner is a bit deaf) and he was like. Uhhh...i'm taking it on Monday and he actually sucked in his belly..i hate taking it in anyway... (Um Bruce doesn't work on Mondays)...It was fine by me...i had to laugh at my partners thinking though.Hey "Bruce" is younger then my oldest son son..Like i need another child...But what an incentive program for my partner. He! He! He! i haven't seen my guy suck it in since the (Was it Coors Twins?) were signing 12 packs...LOL.. Oh ..Your CAR had a crush on Bruce...DOH..Oh my bad! :blush:

Hey tenmm..Isn't it  Arizona that's about to break it's old record of consecutive days of over 100 degree temperature? Safe journey tenmm! B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has been near or at 100 here :blink: I should feel right at home :wacko::unsure:

I simpley had a gray headed moment(Ihave posted here that I suffer from CRS wacko.gif )

Don't we all darlin'?

echo, I'm kinda a tree hugger too. But I'm not buying into the "radicals" outlook on it all. All the "emission controls" have done nothing but raise the price of our cars, maintainence, taxes, and fuel. I can't believe anything has really been done to clean up. For instance, one of the major reasons our gas is going up is not so much the price of crude, but the lack of refinery facillities. There has not been any building of them since the emissions have been reduced and taxed. We need the extra capicity and it's too expensive to build it. The old ones are grandfathered in, so changes are spread over many years.

You know if people took all this closer to heart, we could clean up our act. But too many don't give a s#it. I could go on and on about the simple things everyone could do for the good of our earth. But I know we all know what is needed, and choose to feel it's "the other guys" responsibilty.

By the way, Mac. I married a Brit, from Manchester in March. He arrived here Dec. 30 and said the major fuel in the UK is gas, not diesel. And it's almost the same price as gas. (they tax the hell outta it, like 80+%

By the way, Mac. I married a Brit, from Manchester in March. He arrived here Dec. 30 and said the major fuel in the UK is gas, not diesel. And it's almost the same price as gas. (they tax the hell outta it, like 80+%

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah gas is still the gas but it's at least been accepted as a gas mileage fuel source. for example how many diesel engines have made their ways into american cars. remember i said cars. where as companies from VW to Mercedes have been making diesel engines for cars since at least since the early 80s. sure there's been a few diesel engines in cars here but very few and is only now starting to catch on for gas mileage purposes. we really only use diesel engines in big heavy duty trucks for work purposes not gas mileage.

wow that's alot of tax :o

Yeah, it is a lot of tax. Seeing as they pump their own crude from the north sea. It's supposed to be for the motorways, but very much like here most gets diverted and their roads suck. Almost no modernizing or upgrades are being made. And when they get into major maintenence, it takes forever, and detours are difficult. Remember, most of their main routes were built by the Romans.

If my body was a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I've got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull, but that's not the

worst of it.

My fenders are too wide to be considered stylish. They were once as sleek as a little MG; now they look more like my mother's old Buick.

My seat cushions have split open at the seams. My seats are sagging. Seat belts? I gave up all belts when Ben & Jerry's opened a shop in my neighborhood.

Air bags? Forget it. The only bags I have these days are under my eyes. Not counting the saddlebags, of course. I have soooooo many miles on my odometer. Sure, I've been many places and seen many things, but when's the last time an appraiser factored life experiences against depreciation?

My headlights are out of focus and it's especially hard to see things up close. My reaction is not as graceful as it once was. I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins. It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed.

I'm burning fuel at an inefficient rate.

But here's the worst of it -- almost every time I sneeze or cough, my radiator seems to leak and sometimes my tail pipe sounds off.

Aint that the truth, Bozodog!

Son bought a car!!! Yippie!! We went with the Taurus, thanks to all your help. I checked the safety records, reliability records and blue book prices and it seemed like the best bet. Son was "coin flipping" between the 96Cavalier and the 98Taurus, but decided on the Taurus, especially since we got it for the same price, its 2 years newer and has 10,000 less miles, cold enough AC that he turned it down during the test drive, and a 10 CD CDChanger-Thing (he was planning on installing one in the Cavalier, so he actually ended up a couple hundred bucks ahead).

Tenmm and Macmaruauder, thanks to your advice about a cash offer, we got it for $3300 "out the door". I announced that "Son cleaned out his bank account" (a lie, oops), that was our absolute limit. The salesman ciphered and looked at his invoice book, ciphered some more, ciphered some more, we made the deal and he put the bills in his pocket. :thumbsup: Hubby was just amazed that we got that car for so cheap. On the way to the carplace, he was convinced the dealer wouldn't budge (so then we would get the Cavalier, why not give it a shot?) Afterwards, he said, "how hell did you pull that off??" I told him I got great advice :) Methinks he'll be bringing me for new car purchases from now on!!

Again, thank you all soooo much for such great input, between me not knowing anything about cars, Hubby being a Salesperson's Dream, Son being a "first timer noob", we sure appreaciate all the help!

Oh, gas prices $2.35--its been that way for almost a week!! That's a longevity record as of late!

Liz

LMAO bozodog :) now if i could just upgrade the body to a Ferrari or something.

blim glad to hear that your son picked a car and got a good deal. on of the things you'll like about that one is that was the year they went to a new shock suspension. it rides really well. the cd changer doesn't hurt either. good job helping him take his time :thumbsup:

hopefully you'll go along for all the car deals. just don't forget that the dealers mark them up pretty good, especially the bigger the car lot the bigger the mark up to cover cost. ;) just try to let the salesman keep his shirt. it gets cold out there sometimes. :D

Oooooooh, a "heads up" for you folks. Rumor has it that gas is going from $2.28 up to $3.19 in West Michigan. Filled my tank and the lines were out to the street, (except at the Shell Station, which was only a penny more, I went there!) So if you folks haven't filled up, you might want to do so!

Liz