Northern Lights Sunday?

Listening to the Weather Channel while visiting the Cafe and they mentioned that the Northern Lights might be out tonight--the only area they mentioned was Minnesota, but I'm going to look tonight and drag the kids out of bed to see them :) Strange family tradition--my grandparents woke my mom, my parents woke us, I wake my kids.

Liz

Hey Liz:

You are so lucky to be able to see the Northern Lights. I have only seen photos of them and it is unbelievable the colors. Do you only get these at certain times of the year?

I have seen most colors in green and they are spectacular. I know I would be up all night watching. Enjoy. Tell us all about them later. If you can get photos, that would be great.

Barb :D

Definitely worth staying up for, I haven't seen the min over 20 yrs since I left the UK. Too far south here in West Virginia. The further north you are the more spectacular especially if away from city lights

Wow! I'd like to see them again too. I hope you get lucky. Do you see them very often where you live Liz?

I saw them once when I was a kid growing up in the Puget Sound (Seattle/Tacoma) area of Washington. Various shades of reds and greens. At first reds like a far off fire but no smoke. Then the greens. And all the colors undulating like the colors were dancing to music. Gorgeous.

God bless everyone.

I tried to stay up, but ended up going to bed at midnight, but got up at 4am to look--no lights. Anyone else see them?

Barb, Sidekickcats description is right on target! Looks like flickering flames in the sky, we get mostly green, yellow and white, but once in a while the reds.

Supposably, these are caused by magnetic storms, but in my experience, they appear when its really, really cold!!! They are pretty rare, I catch them once every 3-4 years, but last winter we saw them 3 or 4 times--but it was a horribly cold winter. And of course, the view from windows just isn't good enough...got to bundle up and go outside!

Liz