Computer Freezing During Startup

Recently within the past week, my computer has been freezing during startup. It sometimes occurs on window's welcome screen, it just freezes and i have to restart manually. Other times it happens when my computer loads to the desktop, but the taskbar stays blue (as if it was still trying to load) and then of course it freezes. But other times it loads successfully without any freezing.

I have checked my startup items and disabled the ones that arent neccessary. Could this be a problem with an audio driver? Long story short, ive been trying to reinstall an audio driver, but i havent been able to download one that is WHQL certified by microsoft.

NOTE: I had these speakers working along with windows correctly like last week.

Any help will be appreciated.

that audio driver could be the problem.

dont worry about confirmation from microsoft .

update the the audio driver any way.

reboot you compt .

and the next time you go for up dates that driver will be included in the up dates.

marty

try booting in safe mode. This should tell us if its a startup program the is causing this, or is it a corrupt file of windows...

Yea one time it froze, restarted still froze, restarted still froze, and then i went into safe mode and uninstalled the audio driver and sure enough it booted correctly.

I installed a new driver, rebooted and it did not show up in updates. I have checked driverguide.com and various other sites for other drivers and I cannot find one thats stable. Btw the speakers are realtek ac97, thats right speakers from 1997, but i had them working correctly about a week ago.

Its just that i was trying to install new speakers, and windows recognized them, but they werent installed since i think they needed drivers but on my laptop i just plug them in and they work without any drivers.

Guys sorry for the mislead here, im not sure whats causing my comp. to freeze now. I have just uninstalled the audio driver and i rebooted serval times to make sure it was certainy this driver. Well after about 7 times of rebooting it froze when trying to "load" the taskbar.

I have windows home. Could it be a rundll32.exe acting corrupt? I have had a problem in the past with this .exe. I would try to open a torrent with another client, so i went right click>open with>then the app, and sometimes it would lag a bit and then i had to press the close button causing a message to prompt saying that its not responding and i would have to end the rundll32.exe. So i did but it closed quickly and no freezing occured. But thats the only trouble i had with rundll32.exe.

I thought it was the audio driver, but i aint sure now, sorry guys.

What could it possibly be? Could it be my avast! antivirus? I have had it for a while (the pro version) and havent had any noticeable problems. Im thinking of reformatting since i have other problems, such as no system restore, no system information, and windows sp2 didnt function properly. But during the process of doing so before, i lost my cd rom (meaning it didnt read, write etc. any more once i got windows installed by retrying over and over.) And now i have purchased and installed a dvd burner a couple months ago that was quite expensive for me, and i dont want the same thing to happen. What should i do?

Recently within the past week, my computer has been freezing during startup. It sometimes occurs on window's welcome screen, it just freezes and i have to restart manually. Other times it happens when my computer loads to the desktop, but the taskbar stays blue (as if it was still trying to load) and then of course it freezes. But other times it loads successfully without any freezing.

I have checked my startup items and disabled the ones that arent neccessary. Could this be a problem with an audio driver? Long story short, ive been trying to reinstall an audio driver, but i havent been able to download one that is WHQL certified by microsoft.

NOTE: I had these speakers working along with windows correctly like last week.

Any help will be appreciated.

Go to control panel/ system / advanced Tab/ startup and recovery box/ settings button/ sytem failure and uncheck "restart on system failure" ( take the check out of automatically restart box ) , and check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes (check "send admin alert") and then check "create log file" (record of what when wrong and where). This will force a BSOD on the next crash (freezes/restarts = crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code. On the next crash write down the Stop Error Code and post that here back on this thread.

Also check in your event viewer for error messages. Go to Control Pannel/Admin tools/Computer Managment/Event Viewer/ and click on System, and see the list of Info, Warnings and errors/ click on the "error" message and post here what it says and any links it gives.

Sultan, i followed what u said to do, then restarted to try and catch the freeze, and when windows was loading it sent me to a blue screen.

"Problem has been dectected...........

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

"........................if problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software,disable BIOS memory dump,options such as caching or shadows."

"Technical Information

***Stop: 0x0000000A(0x00000063,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x80509770)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete"

Also i dont know if this is important or not but under the box "system failure" under "startup and recovery" the "write debugging information" is set to none.

Here are the 2 error messages that appeared twice in the system viewer:

-------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Ftdisk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 49

Date: 4/8/2005

Time: 7:13:10 AM

User: N/A

Computer: *blanked*

Description:

Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 56 00 ......V.

0008: 00 00 00 00 31 00 04 c0 ....1..À

0010: 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Error

Event Source: Ftdisk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 45

Date: 4/8/2005

Time: 7:13:10 AM

User: N/A

Computer: *Blanked*

Description:

The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 56 00 ......V.

0008: 00 00 00 00 2d 00 04 c0 ....-..À

0010: 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Well StealthG, that's certainly a step in the right direction. Unfortunatly, I saw your reply just as something has come up that causes me to have to leave immediatly. However, I wanted to put you mind at ease by letting you know that those are all very common error messages, and if no one else has delt with you on the next steps by the time I get back, I will go into them then.

I still havent been able to stop this freezing. I rolled back my video card drivers back to the factory ones, still froze, then to the next driver (but not the current ones) and its still freezing. Any solutions to this? Could it be that i dont have a big enough power supply? I know since ive installed my dvd burner i went over my power wattage by like 20 or 30 watts, but i havent had any noticeble problems as a result of the power supply. Still maybe i should see to that? I was thinking since i dont use my floppy drive would it be wise to uninstall that to pull it from grabbing power? How do i go about doing this, just in the device manager by disabling it? or do i actually have to open up my pc and physically unplug the floppy drive?

Thanx for all the suggestions guys, I will keep all those in mind. Ive been hearing a lot about using a program that will free up ur memory. Should i use such a program? I haven freed uped my memory since ived purchased it back in '03 and i do use it a lot. What do these types of programs actually do? Is it wise to run them? If so, how often should u do it. And what program would you guys recommend?(preferably freeware)

If you are using xp then you shouldn't need any memory manager, win 98 was a lousy mem manager and needed that kind of program to help freeup the unused memory. Win 2k and winxp are much better at freeing up the ram .

you need to google ftdisk and see what may be causing the problem. My previous link isn't working, apparently google is down at present

Every time you reboot the comp you have freed up all ram

Yes i did have a printer plugged in, but i did remove it since it went crazy when trying to print something, i think it was because the ink cartidge was jammed but i aint sure. Bottom line is that its unplugged. I also have uninstalled diskeeper 8.0 and it hasnt frozen since then. Could this have caused my freezing? Hopefully my computer wont freeze because of this again. Thanx everyone!