G4 Hasent Got Better

recently i posted saying i thought g4 was improving .

well i just read a post where they were flaming each other .

about a mouse and mouse pad .

one poster called another a troll.and so forth.

and that particular poster only had 78 posts.

so i hightailed it back here.

to safety.because i felt like getting in there and.have my say.

g4 will never be a board of moderates like this one.

to many know all kids.

who learn at achool .

and it takes more than theory th operate a compt.

and there are a lot of you like my self have not had formal training.to operate a compt .

but i would rather depend on many many people here.

and i might ad who are very good at fixes.

it is quite sad to see a message board get.

defiled by these sort of people.

sorry if ive rambled on but i get so angry when i see that sort of posting.

so if any one wants an altercation go there ha ha ha

marty

I think most all members had a bit of the G4 rant at one time or another, on this board and others.

I was so upset about the out of control situation at G4 I had to apologize to the mods, after al it was the cfh members who nominated them. Now I feel we threw them to the lions err rats.

But there are people who can actually overlook all the childishness there and continue to have semi-sane community.

M

The best idea is to steer clear of the TSS board (soon to be Attack of the Show board). TechSupport is the only board still off limits to the foolishness. There are a couple of posters there that have been warned about the nonsense. Pete, mlegg and Chappy have their hands full some times. Of course there shall be trolls now and then when you have that many members.

Of course there shall be trolls now and then when you have that many members.

Indeed, indeed...Its a shame, though, that is had to happen to such a nice board....before all the "foolishness" it was actually a place were i could go to learn/help, now look at it....

I go to G4 once a day, only because of the people I know from CFH. I like to check in, in case there is something of a personal nature about a person I know, and want to express my support to them.

BestTechie is home base for me because of the atmosphere here. It is ok to have disagreements as long as you respect that person's point of view. There is no reason to flame anyone because they disagree with you. Just have an itelligent discussion and learn from it.

It would be boring if we all agreed, don't you think?

Barb :D

un fortunitly this incident im posting about was at tech support.

yes the board over there is raging about the change of name.

us from the old techtv board shouldnt worry about that

weve had those changes before.

i try to make contact with the posters i know.

and i agree those mods

have a hell of time trying to sort out the good posts from the bad ones.

this morning i was there and some one has had his hand smacked for spamming the board.

or talking about some one in his family who has cancer.

i dont agree that is spamming

in the first place some one else highjacked the thread.

so im glad those mods are doing it and not me

marty

I go to G4 once a day, only because of the people I know from CFH. I like to check in, in case there is something of a personal nature about a person I know, and want to express my support to them.

BestTechie is home base for me because of the atmosphere here. It is ok to have disagreements as long as you respect that person's point of view. There is no reason to flame anyone because they disagree with you. Just have an itelligent discussion and learn from it.

It would be boring if we all agreed, don't you think?

Barb :D

I got the same view as you bar5.......

Besttechie is home base also......

Thanks again B. for providing this forum.... ;)....and thanks to all the experts for your time and patience with helping people.

I agree that this is now home base. I am so thankful for it.

I am trying to keep up with the new Leoville but there are flame problems there even as new as it is with fresh start for everyone. Seems like some people will pick on others for no reason, or just to be ornery, or to push their operating system/browser/etc choices down others throats. I stood up for myself on one thread there that went sour like that. I did so politely and luckily didn't get any backlash. But I really felt like telling them to MYOB. Even my hubby (who isn't into message boards) wanted to know why they were so rude, when he read the thread and I had him proof read my post before sending it. (I usually get him to doublecheck preview my post when I am mad...safer that way!). The same attitude of flames/slamming/dissing others seems to be universal on many boards, (but not here on BestTechie thankfully!) It seems to be a respect, or rather lack thereof, issue on the other boards. I wonder if that is how they are in real life? Sad way to be anywhere!!!

As for G4, I missed the particular thread Marty was talking about, in my 30 or so page review last night of what I had missed from not going over to Tech Support for a week, although I didn't read most of the posts. I am not surprised though at how easily a thread can turn sour. Did see a couple that were closed, by a mod I hadn't heard of, due to personal talk of illness. (what's wrong with a few posts talking about personal issues??? Seems like that is part of the appeal for being on the boards and feeling like a family!!!) Seemed to me to be disrespectful to close those, when they leave all the many flame/slams/put-downs.

As for the name change of SS to whatever the oddball name is going to be, and whether that will affect the boards, plus a discussion of future ideas for the Tech Support board. I did find a rather interesting discussion on one thread that you all might want to check out, especially the posts that Pete made.

G4 thread about future ideas for Tech Support Board

When you see something bad going on on boards, notify the mods, and jump in to defend people if it appears to be needed. The more the good guys post on boards, the less likely the bad guys will take over. And the more help the mods have in locating the bad threads/posts the faster they will be able to take care of problems.

We, the board members, have responsibilities along with rights, to do our best to take care of the boards. It is like citizenship of any community. We are either part of the problem or part of the solution. I say we try to keep all our boards as good family places for everyone to be comfortable to read/post whether they are newbies or experts.

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat,

Bingo!!! You hit the nail on the head!! I still can't believe anyone on any board would be disrespectful to any of your comments! Just reading your posts, I can tell you have them very well thought-out and they end with a Blessing!! I looked and looked at LTS for your comments, was ready to jump in and "have your back, girlfriend" (insert attitude and finger snaps here) but couldn't find the thread (feel free to tell IF you want to).

I suppose G4 wants personal stuff in the off topic forum, but most of the content there is rubbish. Besides, people hang out in particular forums, where you get the family feeling, its appropriate in my opinion, to post personal stuff in the forum you feel you belong in, where folks know you.

Again, the attitude here is why I like this place (keep the nitrous turned up, Macramauder) Probably because the "people in charge" are polite and respectful to begin with. I lost a lot of respect for LTS and G4 when I saw folks in "leadership" positions flame/slam/diss. Bestechie proves that attitude starts at the top. Liz

yes i agree thesidekickcat

unfortunately people will be people.

and hurt others feelings.

some times i get angry .and i turn my compt off so i cannot go in and answer .

a post i feel is detrimental to a thread.

or to the people who try and help.

i have regards for pete_c who has to decide wheather to warn a certain poster .

or let it go.

i have not been to leoville, so cannot comment.

all ive heard is what other posters have written here.

its a pity because boards are designed to help people like me

but there are times when g4 has posters that do the same .

human nature i presume.

marty

Thank You Liz for your very kind words! If I had a blushing smilie I would use it. (I still don't know what alot of the smilies here mean.)

As for well thought out comments...ummm...I mostly just wing it and am lucky if it even halfway stays on topic as gabby as I am, then preview and correct it alot. HaHa!!! Now my secret is out. :rolleyes:

The thread I was talking about was in Tech News I think, about the coming IE7 from Microsoft. Lori in that thread is or will be a moderator I think, and worked for months on testing the new boards before they went public, besides she is just a real nice person. THANKS girlfriend for planning to "have my back" if needed. I appreciate that. And that is exactly what we need to do on all the boards. If they hadn't picked on Lori in that thread, I probably would have ignored them, but figured I would back her up, and maybe just maybe somebody there learned to not be so pushy or rude. Or I can always hope they will learn!!!

It just bugs me to have firefox etc. crammed into every thread about IE, or a different operating system pushed on every Microsoft thread. I figure they should have what they want, and respect others enough to give them the right to also have what they want without making fun of them or trying to shame them into switching. Be and let be. Seems like a simple enough common sense thing to understand but some just don't get it. Besides I hate manipulation, power trips, intimidation, etc. Not to many people are going to switch to something else, just because someone tries to bully them (I hope!!!).

I bet it is that Nitrous Oxide gas that makes us all so mellow here!!! I remember when a dentist used it on me once...first time I didn't hate the dentist visit. Ha! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat,

They picked on LORI?? She's so sweet and good natured about "breaking Leoville" (I break lots of things). She even wrote that she tried Linux and it wasn't for her. I'm glad you jumped in.

I also use Winders---I'm not tech minded, I just do basic things (this forum is as complicated as I get), I don't really mind the maintenence (defragging, etc), makes me feel empowered with this idiot box. Just about everything is geared to work with windows. And if I break it, I have this place and the Indians at Dell Support to dig me out! Liz

They picked on LORI?? She's so sweet and good natured about "breaking Leoville" (I break lots of things). She even wrote that she tried Linux and it wasn't for her.

yeah but you've got to admit that when it comes to breaking Leoville she's the best. i mean how can you break a virtual world stored on a server not even in the same state. if i remember correctly that last time i was there she broke it using only a candy bar or something.

seriously i don't know how she puts up with them. one time i reported a bad bug in Josh's UBB coding and they immediately said that Lori broke it.

She is getting really fed up, I think, with that tired old joke of her breaking Leoville. I saw a few posts where she tried to stop one kid from Pakistan for overdoing that line. He finally figured out she meant it and apologized. Still how can she stop others from saying it? Even Josh does it. How she has stood it so long I have no idea! She has far more patience and a better sense of humor than I would under the same circumstances.

She is the one who PM'd me back, on the old Leoville, when I had sent her one about Captain Alan's trekkie stories (which she also liked) thread being lost if not moved over to new board. She contacted Alan to rescue his work, and then asked Josh if it could be moved, he declined, but said it could be linked in archives, or copied over. Alan started a new thread on new board, and will continue with his stories. Great! I predict he will have a future in a writing career someday.

To make a long story short, I had mentioned in my PM that due to all the fighting, I probably wouldn't go over to new boards. She was so sweet, and invited me to make the move anyhow, and to pm her when I got there, but she beat me to it with a PM, and she said if there was anything I needed help with in learning the new boards, that she would be glad to help me. I just thought that was so sweet. I had only known her from the Virtual Cafe area where I posted a few times. I just thought if she could take time out of her busy board work and real life to invite me, and offer help if I needed it, that the least I could was stick up for her!!!

God bless everyone.

Hello again Marty,

I found your G4 mouse thread last night.

That was an interesting thread about an optical mouse acting strange with Dell mouse pad. Turned out to be the Dell logo colors interfering with the optical mouse signal. The original poster said even Dell support didn't know the answer until a month or so ago. Several people on the thread said they also had the same trouble.

So it was a good thread, that nearly got derailed by the one guy (with over a 1000 posts since he signed up in Feb) and the guy who called him a troll (though I kind of agree that he is close to acting like one with his smart mouth usually off topic attitude.) I think the post count just goes to some peoples' heads.

I was going to post the link over here, but had to go give the cat her medicine, and when I got back to boards, I forgot what I was going to do. If I find the thread again, I will try to remember to put a link over here. sigh! :rolleyes:

There are some good jokes about being absent minded in the senior years of life, but I am sorry I seem to have forgotten them. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

(Oh my, this is turning into quite the gossip column---I love it!!!! :) )

But, is the kid from Pakistan part of developing the new boards? He seems like it. Just curious. I get the impression that he speaks for Josh and Leo sometimes. And altho he does seem to be well, kinda "pushy" (for lack of a better word), he is also real quick with the apologies when he does ruffle feathers. Ah, its the age...

Too bad Cap'n Alan's stories "couldn't" be moved. I haven't read them (I just never liked science fiction.....) but new members will really be missing out. I hope he copies all of them. Liz

Yep just a good ole gossip session over coffee at the kitchen table. Haha!

I am not sure the kid from Pakistan (can't think of his screen name) is involved with development, may have been one of the early new board testers though. He is sure smart. (I think lots of the kids on the boards are real smart) And he does very good work with making up signs, like the new cafe one, and avatars etc. Kind of hyper at the moment with the new board excitement. Ha! Yes he is good at apologizing once he sees the need.

There is another kid that is involved in the "upstairs" that seems to speak for Leo and Josh, at least I saw that at end of old boards. I don't know much about him or that area. The less I know about the "upstairs" the better off I will be. :unsure:

And that is all the gossip I know. Funny how a person picks up stuff like that from a board, even when I don't go over there that much. :unsure: Yikes! :rolleyes:

Well since I have been over here all afternoon, I had better go check out the other boards to keep up with who's who, and what's what. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

I was rummaging through G4 forums and the "production team member" made another post on the topic he started about the new show name. He started off with a comment like, "I go away for the weekend and look what happens...." and a few paragraphs later he writes:

"Sounds like most of you are trying so hard not to like the show that any name would send you into a tizzy. When in reality, if you were flipping through the Tivo listings and saw the name “Attack of the Show†on Comedy Central, or the Cartoon Network, you might select it to watch."

Wonder why viewers start flaming????? Liz

I was rummaging through G4 forums and the "production team member" made another post on the topic he started about the new show name. He started off with a comment like, "I go away for the weekend and look what happens...." and a few paragraphs later he writes:

"Sounds like most of you are trying so hard not to like the show that any name would send you into a tizzy. When in reality, if you were flipping through the Tivo listings and saw the name “Attack of the Show†on Comedy Central, or the Cartoon Network, you might select it to watch."

Wonder why viewers start flaming?????  Liz

I miss things on view new messages sometimes when I time out on my isp or have to quit to do something before I have read all the new posts, so missed this one.

That's funny that he seems to think we would just try out a show with that wierd a title. Actually if it was on the SciFi channel, we might. Ha Ha. Kind of sounds like a good SciFi title but don't tell G4 that or they will attempt to either buy out that channel and ruin it, or do a game/movie with that title. :unsure: Sigh!!!

It is funny that he places the name of the show as a possibility for Comedy Central, or the Cartoon Network. That is hilarious to me....But then I always do see humor where it probably wasn't intended. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.