Adventures At Home

The adventures continue.........

Yesterday, I went to my workouts, and did my normal routine, and everything was fine.

However, I went to the mall yesterday afternoon, and when I returned I thought that my friend had used my stove or oven. I smelled something cooking, but the funny thing is that there was nothing cooking - The oven had been shut off since the night before, and I also checked the burners, and the controls were all in the OFF position. The strange thing was that the burners were all HOT to the touch!!

So, knowing that there was something amiss, and knowing that the stove is new, I called BHA - one of our people responded and sure enough, he tested all controls and found it HOT on the top as I did - He agreed that there was something wrong, and shut the stove's breaker off - I now have to wait for BHA to return sometime this weekend to diagnose the problem.

This is the first time something like this has happened, so naturally, I was a little shocked - brand new stoves don't normally get HOT when off, so there could be a defect, which I hope that they will be able to solve - I love the stove, but being without one can be inconvenient and irritating.....I wish BHA had checked this stuff out before putting it in.........If no one had been home, I could have a burnt up new home, and that would have sucked......I'm just glad that I had someone here to actually help me......The breakers are supposed to trip, but hadn't when we detected a problem.......whch is strange.

I'm just glad that we were able to shut off the breaker and that nothing was damaged and no one was hurt........geez, what a way to start the weekend.....no stove ;(

Brian

EDIT: I just got a call from BHA - They will be contacting Sears on Monday and having them check out this stove - In the meantime, I am to keep the breaker off UNLESS cooking something on the stove or in the oven - then kill the stove at the breaker - lets hope that they can determine the problem, as the stove is only 4 months old :omg: ~Brian

Edited by Chappy
(Fixed some importint spellink - didn't kno what a "Stive" was) - Chappy

Whoa, Brian, good thing you have a good sniffer or you're right, your place could have caught on fire! I have heard of electric stoves (usually NEW!) doing that--a faulty switch in the stove if I remember right.

Be careful!

Liz

I only use my stove for baking. Everything else is cooked in the microwave or outside on the grill. If I could bake with the microwave the stove would get tossed.

I love the microwave, but use the stove top all the time. How do you sautee stuff? Even something as basic as fried potatos needs a flame and oil.

This post has been edited by Chappy: Today, 06:17 PM

Reason for edit: (Fixed some importint spellink - didn't kno what a "Stive" was) - Chappy

Thanks for the edit Chappy ;) heheehe my spellink sometimes needs to be corrected ~brian

I only use my stove for baking. Everything else is cooked in the microwave or outside on the grill. If I could bake with the microwave the stove would get tossed.

I love the microwave, but use the stove top all the time. How do you sautee stuff? Even something as basic as fried potatos needs a flame and oil.

I limit my intake of fried foods, fats, starches and etc. If on a rare occasion I want something fried I toss my iron skillet on the grill and use canola oil.

I have lost 180 lbs. between the exercise and dietary changes, plus that old bloated liver being discarded.

I limit my intake of fried foods, fats, starches and etc. If on a rare occasion I want something fried I toss my iron skillet on the grill and use canola oil.

I have lost 180 lbs. between the exercise and dietary changes, plus that old bloated liver being discarded.

Congrats on all the good things you have done with your changes! I have been working out for over a year 3 days a week and have changed some of the things I eat as well. Mostly been using my George Foreman Grill to grill things, and soon I will be eating more chicken and turkey burgers - the leaner you go with meat, the better you are, except when grilling, you need a little bit of fat, or the burger will shrivil up and you won't have anything much to eat. friends of mine sometimes pick on me because I rarely use any salt, and even when I cook I don't use more then a pinch in water. they say I should salt my food, but I rarely do that, because I don't need it!

Take Care ;)

Brian

Whoa, Brian, good thing you have a good sniffer or you're right, your place could have caught on fire! I have heard of electric stoves (usually NEW!) doing that--a faulty switch in the stove if I remember right.

Be careful!

Liz

Liz:

You'd be SO RIGHT!! I don't really know why that happened, but I am glad that I had my friend Bill here to check that problem - and you'd better believe that I am gonna have BHA and Sears check that stove, cause you really should NOT have to breaker your stove on and off! I think what they might do is replace the stove, but yesterday I baked something in the oven and did not seem to have any problems with the surface burners, but that is something that is gonna be checked nonetheless ;)

Take Care,

Brian

... I am to keep the breaker off UNLESS cooking something on the stove or in the oven - then kill the stove at the breaker ...

I wouldn't do that ... whatever's wrong is SO wrong I'd do without until it was fixed (maybe I'm too paranoid). Time to stock up on microwaveable foods.

Regarding salt, I never use it. I had to get a salt shaker when someone moved in with me -- I'd never owned one before that (it's now in some cabinet, somewhere -- oh wait, I filled it with cinnamon to sprinkle in my coffee!).

I keep hearing how it makes food taste "better." No, it makes food taste "salty." That's better if you like salt, I guess. (I get plenty of salt, probably too much, from processed foods like canned tuna, the occasional snack, etc.)

EDIT: I just got a call from BHA - They will be contacting Sears on Monday and having them check out this stove - In the meantime, I am to keep the breaker off UNLESS cooking something on the stove or in the oven - then kill the stove at the breaker - lets hope that they can determine the problem, as the stove is only 4 months old :omg: ~Brian

Well, just wanted to give you all an update on my stove situation.

I thought that BHA and sears would be coming up to look at my stove sometime during the late morning or early afternoon hours on Monday this week. Turns out that they didn't and I had to go to the store to get more food, When I returned there was NO INDICATION that anyone had been here all day, and I finally called BHA at 4PM EDT, and Maintainence Director Don says he "forgot all about it, and he would come right up"

When he arrives, he activates the breaker which had been off since Saturday, when I had to use the oven, and then shut it off. He tested all controls, the burners, the oven and then stated that there was no problem that he could detect, and told me to leave the breaker in the ON position, and monitor the situation. I asked if my shutting off the breaker might have cured the problem and he said that it might have, but I will shut off the breaker today because I am leaving in a while, and don't want a problem - They said that it could have been a problem with the electronic control panel, so they will keep an eye on it ;)

Brian

Edited by baker7

http://www.applianceaid.com/news.html

Lists a lot of recalls.

Fire Hazard with Thermador® Built-In Ovens Leads to Recall by BSH Home Appliances Corp

Thermador® Ceramic Cooktops Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

Hazard: The cooktop can come on by itself when switched off, creating a potential fire hazard if flammable items are left on the cooktop.

I do not see BHA or Sears

But you sure were lucky nothing flammable was on the cooktop.

Hope they get it sorted out soon.

Pete_C:

BHA is an acronym for the Barre Housing Authority - My Landlords

I did see a recall on those Themador stoves - lucky for me they didnt get any of these ;)

BHA will monitor this and keep an eye on this situation ;)

Brian

Just make sure you kill the breaker when you're sleeping, too! Like Pete, I'm still convinced it's in the stove itself. Should be under warranty--has BHA contacted Sears? If not, you should!.

Liz