Tis That Time Again I'm Afraid...

Hi everyone!

Well, it's that time of the year again for me!

Yep...that's right, it's REINSTALL XP PRO TIME....again!!!!!

Time to clear up the clutter and save it for some rainy day (yah,,,right) when I may (never) need it again ;)

My yearly ritual it seems. I get tired of all the stuff I have accumulated, most of which I have no idea what it's for anymore, so I CD it in case I remember what it was I have it for, and then never look at it again. Then I reinstall XP and proceed the accumulation process all over again...sigh.

Takes me a day to figure out what to keep, move my partitions around so I can reorganize better this time, and then fret over what it is that I'm forgetting this time! Finally, I just say..."to heck with it!" If I haven't thought of it by now I don't need it, and begin the reformat.

Then, 20 seconds into it, I remember what it was that I'ze forgetting, and realize it's too late...my passwords are lost...again! :(

Anyway, I'm going to be offline for a bit in awhile. Between reinstalling and my Brother being in town till Monday, I'll be kinda scarce after I start the process tomorrow. So none of those "Where's Chappy" threads this time please ;), I won't be gone THAT long and besides, y'all probably need a break from my heavy-handed, overbearing, dictatorial rule here.

Remember, there'll be absolutely, NO RUNNING AMUCK HERE while I'm away (*Chappy looks squarely at Liz, Pat, Barb and Darlene) heheh

Hi everyone!

Well, it's that time of the year again for me!

Yep...that's right, it's REINSTALL XP PRO TIME....again!!!!!

Time to clear up the clutter and save it for some rainy day (yah,,,right) when I may (never) need it again ;)

My yearly ritual it seems. I get tired of all the stuff I have accumulated, most of which I have no idea what it's for anymore, so I CD it in case I remember what it was I have it for, and then never look at it again. Then I reinstall XP and proceed the accumulation process all over again...sigh.

Takes me a day to figure out what to keep, move my partitions around so I can reorganize better this time, and then fret over what it is that I'm forgetting this time! Finally, I just say..."to heck with it!" If I haven't thought of it by now I don't need it, and begin the reformat.

Then, 20 seconds into it, I remember what it was that I'ze forgetting, and realize it's too late...my passwords are lost...again! :(

Anyway, I'm going to be offline for a bit in awhile. Between reinstalling and my Brother being in town till Monday, I'll be kinda scarce after I start the process tomorrow. So none of those "Where's Chappy" threads this time please ;), I won't be gone THAT long and besides, y'all probably need a break from my heavy-handed, overbearing, dictatorial rule here.

Remember, there'll be absolutely, NO RUNNING AMUCK HERE while I'm away (*Chappy looks squarely at Liz, Pat, Barb and Darlene) heheh

I've been thinking about doing that too. It's been awhile.

But I REALLY need all those programs from 1998! :lol:

Hi everyone!

Who me? Unhuh, never me running amok, walking right into amok, yeah!!! :rolleyes:

No problems to worry about from me Chappy, though my hair might be a tad or so thinner (and grayer) by the time you get back... what with the panic mode attacks of pulling out my hair over stress of hubby losing job at Intel end of next month!!! And the dreaded feeling that I too might have to do the dreaded reinstall on this computer...what with all it's usual on again, off again problems for ages, and now the whole new set of problems caused by that stupid Google toolbar piece of garbage upgrade the other day if it doesn't uninstall right whenever I feel up to tackling it (maybe this weekend)...Yikes!!!

So am way to stressed out to cheerfully run amok. Liz and the other gals will just have to do their share and mine to keep things lively around here. And of course Mac too needs to do his part but please Mac, no nuking the whole cafe when you use the microwave. I will need a safe refuge in cafe when things get to hectic here at home, so no blowing it up with those basement experiments. OK?

Have I warned you folks, my sense of humor gets really far out wierder than usual when I am stressed? Well now you are fully warned. :rolleyes:

All kidding aside Chappy, enjoy redoing your computer, and don't forget to come back....I need reasurance that reinstalling actually works and that the computers will actually allow people to resume their online lives!!! (plus we'd miss you if you didn't come back!)

Pat

God bless everyone

Uuuhhh oh. Chappy, don't be like "the Brit" and never finish. It's been about 5 months since he started. He says he can't make up his mind what to keep so he scrounged an 8 gig and is using that. *he just told me he wants some space on mine now.... Nope, uhhuh, notta. Clean up your 60 and stay away from mine.

Course not Darlene, I'm done already and just reinstalling the less needed stuff as I need it now.

Basically it takes me a day or so to get all the info and files I need from the old install, over to a temp storage drive. Things like my hidden email client files that have all user preferrences, mailboxes, settings and stuff, I copy to storage. Then after I reinstall the OS and the email program, I simply replace the newly installed files with the copied ones so it's exactly like it was before when I open it. I do the same for certain browser files and other programs that need allot of setup so I don't have to re-do all that setup.

That saves a TON of time if you know what to replace and where it is...usually hidden.

It does take some time to get the new install up to a point where everything is safe and my settings are all restored tho. It's usually at LEAST a day to get all the security programs I use installed, then MS Updates (circa: post SP2...waiting for SP3 to release) and AV updates and definitions installed, mouse & KB s'ware...yadda...etc.

It doesn't seem like it should take that much time, but it does really.

Now I'm at the point where I just reinstall other programs as I need them, so basically this new install is complete now. I've done this so many times now I can do it in my sleep! Not that I mess up my OS or anything, I just like to clean it up every now and then, plus many VirtualMAchine installs too and reinstalls for friends.

I've probably installed XP alone, at least 110 times or so now and that includes the 30 some times it took when I had bad RAM (that MemTest86 insisted was good... :angry2:) , until I swapped my RAM and got a good stable install finally.