I noticed that too. I just bought a second 1GB stick for my computer and paid about $25 more than the original 1GB that I got a year ago. Both bought at Newegg

I searched around for hours today on the web to find the best price from a trusted source for a 1 gig stick of Sodimm 200 pin PC 2700 Ram for my Inspiron 8200. I opted for Kingston. Seemed like the best value.

Best price online was from Newegg for $117 plus $5 shipping.

But then I found it at Circuit City for the same price and with the option to pick it up at my local store.

So I drive over there and of course their price is $25 more than the stated price on their website.

But I perservered and with the manager's help got it for $116 plus tax.

I just installed it alongside my existing 512 stick. (I had to remove the lowly original 128 stick.)

So I upgraded from 640 to 1536.

The results are remarkable!

Pictures open instantly. I used to have to wait for minutes just to rotate pictures. Now it's immediate.

I was feeling guilty about spending more money on this laptop. Recently bought a new battery, 120 gig hard drive, and a faster video card. But it has sentimental value. And now with the gig and a half of Ram it feels like a new computer.

Btw, Dell states that the max amount of memory for this laptop is 1 gig. However I do a lot of reading at

Dell Forums and have discovered that the Inspiron 8200 and the Precision M50 use the exact same motherboard.

The M50 accepts 2 gigs of ram. So naturally so does the Inspiron.

Best investment on this oldie yet!

Edited by irregularjoe

Micron is sampling their new 1G DDR3 with 78nm technology now, and expects 2G sticks of DDR3 to ship in early 2007.

The clock can range from 400MHz to 800MHz, with data rates of 800 MT/s to 1600 MT/s, (MT/s = MegaTransfers per second)

That will transfer a 100,000 page document in 1 second...and by dropping the voltage to 1.5V there is a 30% power savings

Fully JEDEC compliant and densities will range from 512 to 4G, but no mention of what the costs are going to be yet, just that they're ready to hit the market.

This should mean that MoBo makers are going to start production of boards to support the DDR3 tech very soon so they can hit the market in time for the DDR3 release.

Many changes coming in the near future guys if you're thinking of building a new box soon, probably start looking for mid 2007 to be able to take advantage of this new technology burst. Everytime I think I have my new system on the go something pops up to make me think it might be best to wait a few more months, but of course that could go on indefinately really. But I do think I'll wait for DDR3 RAM and chipsets to go mainstream before I get it all together