Computer Not Seeing Internet Connection

For some reason my brothers computer will not see the network. he says that around 5 tonight all of a sudden it cycles between "aquiring network address" and "network cable unplugged"

I tried removing and reinstalling the network card, with no luck. I'm kinda thinking he got some kind of bad software installed or something.

the simplest way to see if it is software or hardware is to try and run a live linux cd. If the linux cd is able to get an address and surf the net, you can then assume windows is borked. The only negative to this diagnosis is linux may not have drivers for the card. But is it works with linux you know forsure that it is a software problem.

It kinkd of sounds like a hardware issue.

I tend to reinstall more often then most. If you are having multiple problems, sometimes that is the best route. You can spend an hour reinstalling, and end up with a a great result. Then again that might be overkill :-)

make sure the cable is seated correctly on both ends. Is it on a router or hub? try it on a different port and see what happens. If the network card is PCI make sure the card is seated correctly. When helping my preacher set up his wireless network, the card wouldn't work at first but we found that screwing the card down caused it to pop out of the slot. Try opening up your network connections and right click the adapter and click repair. If none of these ideas work then I'd say either faulty card or a corruption in windows. My guess would be hardware.

both ends are seated into router and comp correctly. Tried a different port. It's an integrated card. And apparently other people have had this problem, I have found 2 cases with google, and sadly no solutions.

With the storms we're having maybe the ISP was temporarily whacked. I had to reset my modem (Alltel ISP) after a couple of those larger storms raced through here yesterday. I finally had to disconnect everything last night after some really vicious strikes occurred close to the house. My Time Warner cable TV service is still screwy. Of course Time Warner is always screwy but not usually this bad.