Nightmare ! System Maintenance

Ive been running this pc with a windows install for 2 years. The only maintence i did was a spyware scanner when something was wrong, a registry checkup when right click was slow, and i have Nod32 installed which updates 4 times a day.

Pierce

That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about :blink: (or telling people :P )

You can free up gigabytes of space by running disk cleanup if you haven't run it in a while. Especially if you use system restore. Defrag will speed of your computer if it needs it bad.

That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about :blink: (or telling people :P )

You can free up gigabytes of space by running disk cleanup if you haven't run it in a while. Especially if you use system restore. Defrag will speed of your computer if it needs it bad.

Your post strains credibility actually.

Go find a computer that's been put through daily use by the average, uneducated PC user. You'll have mountians of temporary files, IE crap, and system restore points.

Ive got 5MB of disk space taken up, it was hardly worth the time to look it up.

For doing a manual virus scan once a week? Well okay, just so long as you dont use Norton, or most AV's as they would take 16 hours to scan my whole server (350GB) which is unacceptable. I do have nod and it does it in 40minutes.

For schedualing stuff, youll have to get tricky with command line so you dont get any boxes saying "click okay if your sure" stuff. And sometimes you dont want certain things cleaned up what if you acidentally deleted a file? Wouldnt want to auto clean the system just before you restored your Mona Lisa pained by hand using a mouse....

Pierce

Ive got 5MB of disk space taken up, it was hardly worth the time to look it up.

For doing a manual virus scan once a week? Well okay, just so long as you dont use Norton, or most AV's as they would take 16 hours to scan my whole server (350GB) which is unacceptable. I do have nod and it does it in 40minutes.

For schedualing stuff, youll have to get tricky with command line so you dont get any boxes saying "click okay if your sure" stuff. And sometimes you dont want certain things cleaned up what if you acidentally deleted a file? Wouldnt want to auto clean the system just before you restored your Mona Lisa pained by hand using a mouse....

Pierce

If I had Norton on a PC I would download and use another anti-virus application that didn't use real time scanning for manual scans. Norton's is crap. I like Panda's ability to do a thorough scan in a timely manner. Nod and Kaspersky would both suffice.

I don't believe in scheduling scans or updates. Panda is fine for auto-updating virus definitions multiple times daily. These updates are quick and do not interfere with what I am doing at the time. Windows Update is disabled on my machine. I wait to see if there are any issues with the new updates before enabling the service and manually downloading and installing them. I make a restore point before this is done. It takes a few seconds to check for and install AdAware and SpywareBlaster updates weekly. I do not allow Inbound connections for any programs except my anti-virus. If my browsers, Adobe, Macromedia, Java or any similar type program needs updating, I do so manually. Many sites have a section of their boards where important updates are listed. I read them and then take action as needed.