Nightmare ! System Maintenance

The only daily maintenance I do at the end of the day is to Delete Private Data in my Opera browser, run CCleaner then AdAwareSE. Once a week I check for updates for AdAwareSE and Spyware Blaster then run my anti-virus (Panda Titanium 2006). Once a month I run chkdsk, Disk Cleanup and Defrag. I also check to see if there are any new problems with Windows Updates and if there are not any issues, download and install them every month. I do this on both my XP and 98SE hard drives. It doesn't take much of my time and my computer stays clean plus runs great.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

if its not broke don't fix it :-) Just kidding

About the only maintenance I do on my XP box is the occasional defrag. I have adaware installed, but hardly ever run it. I also have avg that is set to get automatic updates(I don't think I ever ran a full system scan). I do have my kids running with limited accounts, that seems to keep things running smooth.

Edited by shanenin

Ive been running this pc with a windows install for 2 years. The only maintence i did was a spyware scanner when something was wrong, a registry checkup when right click was slow, and i have Nod32 installed which updates 4 times a day.

Pierce

Same here. Used to be paranoid and run every scan under the sun weekly, then monthly and now......... Urmmm dunno the last time. Avast free updates auto and I'm behind a router. I DO a lot of picture work so I defrag when things get goofy.

Even though an anti-virus program updates automatically it is still recommended to perform a manual scan once a week. I got in the habit of defragging once a month because of using FAT 32. My 98SE setup sometimes benefits from this but the XP setup doesn't get fragmented as much.

Ive been running this pc with a windows install for 2 years. The only maintence i did was a spyware scanner when something was wrong, a registry checkup when right click was slow, and i have Nod32 installed which updates 4 times a day.

Pierce

That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about :blink: (or telling people :P )

You can free up gigabytes of space by running disk cleanup if you haven't run it in a while. Especially if you use system restore. Defrag will speed of your computer if it needs it bad.

Edited by Bubba Bob

I haven't run a scan in ages.. :blink: I do use ATF-Cleaner every once in a while to get rid of Temp stuff. If I ever suspect malware, I do manual cleaning, however, that isn't reccomended for users who don't know what they're doing. AVG updates daily, but I don't do manual system scan unless I suspect an issue. I do a lot of Jotti Scans though, for files I find (on mostly my sister's account) tha I don't recognize. Oh ya.. I do back up my music daily.

That's not exactly something I'd be bragging about :blink: (or telling people :P )

You can free up gigabytes of space by running disk cleanup if you haven't run it in a while. Especially if you use system restore. Defrag will speed of your computer if it needs it bad.

Your post strains credibility actually.

guys nobody is talking about the scheduling part which is bugging me. Each maintenance program got to be scheduled and I need to know at what intervals they need to be run. After that I need to find out did they run and completed the task !

Any thoughts ???

guys nobody is talking about the scheduling part which is bugging me. Each maintenance program got to be scheduled and I need to know at what intervals they need to be run. After that I need to find out did they run and completed the task !

Any thoughts ???

Spware weekly/ AntiVirus weekly one on day X one on day Y.

M

Any thoughts ???

Edited by Bubba Bob

Hmm.. I actually once cleared 17 gigs from a temp folder..

ok, some of you are asking what kinda maintenance, what programs... let me tell you on a normal system to keep it upto date we need certain programs to be upto date.

Like you need to schedule virus defs updations say every week, windows updation every month, spyware updation, firewal, and we need to do diskclean up every week or so. Defrag every fortnight. And any other software you use on your computer. Ain't it bugging ???

you need to schedule virus defs updations say every week
Most AVs update themselves, and daily, no work on your part.
windows updation every month
This can also be set to do automatically.
firewall
Again, most update automatically on their own.
spyware updation
This is true, many AS programs require you to manually update. However, it doesn't take very long and I don't find it that big of a hassle.

Disk cleanup and Defrag (especially defrag) can become very tedious. I don't run those as often as you do, for that reason.

A lot of software will update it self automatically. For the ones that don't, well, updating them yourself is just part of the computer experience. ;)