Well, the next thing I would like to do is install and run KDE. I recall one of the reasons I left Ubuntu was because I really didn't like gnome. It made me feel like I was working in OS 9. At the time, I wasn't aware that you could change the desktop environment. So, I'd love the install KDE, it looks awesome, and it seems most of you use it. I've tried commands such as

apt-get install kdecore

and similar commands expressed by crrj, but either I am told nothing was downloaded, or everything is up to date. So... I'm obviously doing something wrong, or I don't have the right files :huh:

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Try

sudo apt-get install kdesktop

Nevermind kdesktop doesn't pull in all necesary packages.

Edited by naraku9333

how about

apt-get install kde

when I do that on my ubuntu system, it says it is going to install 396 packages

I will let it run and see what happens

edit added later//

maybe you alredy hsave it installed. log out then log back in, but under "session" see if kde is a choice

Edited by shanenin
Well, the next thing I would like to do is install and run KDE. I recall one of the reasons I left Ubuntu was because I really didn't like gnome. It made me feel like I was working in OS 9. At the time, I wasn't aware that you could change the desktop environment. So, I'd love the install KDE, it looks awesome, and it seems most of you use it. I've tried commands such as

apt-get install kdecore

and similar commands expressed by crrj, but either I am told nothing was downloaded, or everything is up to date. So... I'm obviously doing something wrong, or I don't have the right files :huh:

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Just fire up synaptic, Matt. Choose KDE in desktop environments. Click mark for installation, apply. That will download all of your packages in Debian. Then log-out and choose KDE on your graphical log-in screen and set it as your default desktop environment. :D

how about

apt-get install kde

when I do that on my ubuntu system, it says it is going to install 396 packages

I will let it run and see what happens

edit added later//

maybe you alredy hsave it installed. log out then log back in, but under "session" see if kde is a choice

That must pull in every KDE app available. Kdebase pulls about 40 packages but none of the extra packages like kdegames etc...