It may seem weird that I want to intentionally put a keylogger on my computer lol. Here is the reason:

Lately, my computer has been shutting itself down while I am in the middle of things. For example, I make posts, and while typing, my computer just reboots out of the blue. Not so bad, but it is slightly annoying. The thing I hate the most is when it does it while I am coding >_<. I do lots of PHP and HTML work... and when I lose work I do there, it really frustrates me.

I do save quite often, but if I make a mistake in the PHP syntax, I like the undo option in dreamweaver... when my computer shuts down after a mistake I made, its harder to fix cause I have to remember what I was doing, and where I was lol.

So my question is... what is a good, free, SPYWARE FREE, keylogger? I would like if it wasn't invisible, meaning it shows up in my system tray.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ^_^.

EDIT:

Oh, and if possible, one that updates the log quite often, or has the ability for me to set how often it updates :P. Like every 1 minute or so...

Edited by Keikonium

I'm calling it on a faulty power supply (or even, less likely bad RAM or a flaky power switch on the case, if you've been messing around inside it all the switch is possibly the problem)

Edited by xxkbxx

Matt (a member here) has helped me clear my system of a quake (can't remember the exact name) virus/spyware. This shutting down problem only seems to happen when my system is clean lol. Meaning, it happened a while ago, than stopped for like 2 months, than started up again about a week or so ago.

The OS is Windows XP Home edition SP2

512 RAM

nVidia 5200 card

185 gig HD with a 4 gig partition (C: is 181GB, D: is 4GB)

105 GB free

3GHz processor (says 3059 MHz which I assume is the same as 3GHz)

I normally have about 400 MB of stuff running (darn FF eats up about 150 MB for some odd reason)

OEM..? Ummm... it says XBlade on the front? lol. I don't really know what brand it is :S. I know it isn't custom built tho.

I highly doubt the RAM is bad... I just got it a month ago. The same time I got a new motherboard and the nVidia chip upgrade (rom some 4000 series or something like that).

I have another 256 stick of RAM, but I was wary of putting it in cause I was lead to believe that the two sticks had to be the same capacity (they are both the same brand).

Can you tell what may be wrong from that description >_o?

Did you still have XP on the hard drive when you installed the new motherboard or did you do a repair/fresh install of XP? What are the motherboard and memory make and model numbers? You can run a 512 and 256 stick of RAM on a motherboard as long as the memory type is the same. At 512MB you may have problems running too many programs at once. What version of Firefox? Usually if you open then minimze FF than maximize it the memory usage will drop.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

Since there is a current virus/Trojan out there that has the effect of random reboots, I'd make sure that's not your problem first. I recommend posting a HiJackThis log in the Malware Removal board (read the instructions if you haven't done this before or need an update).

right click my copmputer and click properties. Then click the advanced tab and open the Start-Up and Recovery Settings. Uncheck Automatically Restart. After that if you get a Blue screen. Give us the error code it displays. I'm sure it'll be a "hardware driver conflict" or something. If it still restarts after that then I'd say it is a faulty PSU. As for keyloggers I don't really know, i've never had a need for one.

Since there is a current virus/Trojan out there that has the effect of random reboots, I'd make sure that's not your problem first. I recommend posting a HiJackThis log in the Malware Removal board (read the instructions if you haven't done this before or need an update).

he has, I cleaned him right up. Unless he got another one, he's free of viruses

It was a Nerds On Site guy that came by. He took out my old motherboard, and put my new one in. RAM was replaced at the same time. The HD was left as is. The shut downs were happening with the old MB also >_>. I think the guy said something like overheating my cause it. I leave my system running 24/7. The temp on the front displat reads 70.0-76.0 F usually. Both sides are OFF my tower.

This is a computer I rent... so I can't reformat the HDD cause I don't have a WinXP CD >_<.

The 256 RAM stick I had will not fit in the RAM slot of this computer :P. Outa luck there lol. Good to know it'll work for the future tho...

I am not sure about the make of my motherboard, but my RAM is 512MB DDR 400MHz PC3200 (I hope thats it anyway).

I am positive I don't have a Trojan or Virus. Like Matt said, he got my computer all clean. Even running Spybot turns up like 3 things instead of around 10. Virus scan has been run also.

I will do that right now Honda Boy. The shutdown is random, so I'm not sure when I'll be getting a picture :S.

I can choose either Celcius or Farenheight. It just happened to be at farenheight when I looked at it :blink:. 24.4 C, and 75.9 F as of right now. This is the temperature after it being SHUT DOWN all night (approx 9 hours). It's higher than the temperature when I left it running >_>.

Usually, when it shuts itself down, I am either posting a message on the internet, doing art in photoshop, coding in dreamweaver, downloading off limewire, or doing a Virus Scan. Most of those are memory hogs... so I fear that RAM is my problem :S.

Speaking of which, I only have a 512 stick, and everything on my computer shows my ram as being 512. Except in the task manager it shows as 1.2 GB of RAM :huh:.

whatsupwith12gbram.png

That second number, I always thought was RAM... isn't it?

I can choose either Celcius or Farenheight. It just happened to be at farenheight when I looked at it :blink:. 24.4 C, and 75.9 F as of right now. This is the temperature after it being SHUT DOWN all night (approx 9 hours). It's higher than the temperature when I left it running >_>.

Usually, when it shuts itself down, I am either posting a message on the internet, doing art in photoshop, coding in dreamweaver, downloading off limewire, or doing a Virus Scan. Most of those are memory hogs... so I fear that RAM is my problem :S.

Speaking of which, I only have a 512 stick, and everything on my computer shows my ram as being 512. Except in the task manager it shows as 1.2 GB of RAM :huh:.

whatsupwith12gbram.png

That second number, I always thought was RAM... isn't it?

No that's not RAM it is your pagefile. You do need more RAM if you are running Photoshop and other memory intensive programs. I run 512MB for just plain old surfing the net and using small time apps. BTW, Limewire is a good source of viruses and Trojans.

Of course when I NEED the darn thing to restart on me, it takes forever @_@. But finally it did (in the middle of a WLM uninstall lol. Oddly enough the program uninstalled fully).

Anyway, this is what the blue screen said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

~~~PARAGRAPH 1~~~

~~~PARAGRAPH 2~~~

~~~PARAGRAPH 3~~~

(the above was just telling me what to do, nothing to important cause what it says doesn't do anything :P)

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFF85B1D0, 0x00000000, 0x80536A26, 0x00000000)

~~~More jibberish~~~

The ~~~****~~~ parts I know aren't part of the problem, so I only included the needed information.

Any ideas :S?

normally random shut downs are

associated with blaster or sasser worm

microsoft has a patch for this wich is in sp2

do you have sp2?

was the virus one of these worms

you can manually abort the shutdown

as long as you can get to your command prompt quickly

start= run =type cmd

at the prompt type

shutdown -a press enter

the sys will tell you if the command you typed

was nessecessory

marty

Of course when I NEED the darn thing to restart on me, it takes forever @_@. But finally it did (in the middle of a WLM uninstall lol. Oddly enough the program uninstalled fully).

Anyway, this is what the blue screen said:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

~~~PARAGRAPH 1~~~

~~~PARAGRAPH 2~~~

~~~PARAGRAPH 3~~~

(the above was just telling me what to do, nothing to important cause what it says doesn't do anything :P)

Technical Information:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFF85B1D0, 0x00000000, 0x80536A26, 0x00000000)

~~~More jibberish~~~

The ~~~****~~~ parts I know aren't part of the problem, so I only included the needed information.

Any ideas :S?

why dont you post every thing instead of in dribs and drabs

other wise this thread will go on for ever and ever

what you think is unessecessory

may be important

its a wonder matt hasnet

told you this so far most of us are using guess work

if you want you need to help us

marty