I live in a split level, and currently have my modem and router hooked up to 3 computers in the family room right under the bedrooms. Now i am interesting in moving a few of the computers upstairs, but then i would have to drill a hole in the floor, and for cosmetic and other reasons i dont think that will be the best choice, the heat run doesnt go up the wall :-/

So i was wondering how strong the wireless connection would be like 10 feet above where the router would be? Is there gonna be a noticible loss in packets/speed? I'm a heavy gamer, and would rather not lose the slight edge i may have by going wireless.

Get a good wi fi card. My laptop is at least 90 feet + from my router and I can game fine on it. Counter Strike Source shows 0 packet loss. I made the mistake of buying a cheap wifi card for my PC wich is a little closer to the router and I have these sporradic interfearences (hehe please excuse my spelling) from something. I havnt been able to find what that is but it doesnt afffect my laptop.

I have a cheap Foxconn wireless network card on my bedroom pc on the top floor of my house and a $35 Belkin router I bought on clearance at office max on the floor below and it works perfectly. From time to time the connection drops but rarely. When it does I just do a connection repair and bang it's fine.

Edited by Honda_Boy