I am getting ready to format a PC for a friend and reinstall XP. Can somebody tell me where the drivers are located so that I can copy them to a CD or Floppy. This is a home made rig. Nice little PC was put together for him. The person who did this is no longer in the area.

I do not think that is possible. I am not usre about that.

Your best bet is to crack open the case and see who made the motherboard. If it was homemade, you should not have a problem finding the drivers on the motherboard manufactures websight.

%systemroot%\System32\Drivers

you answered his question :-)

is that location of any practical use? Instaiiing drivers must be more complicated then just saving them from that directory and copying them back after reinstall. I am just guessing the inner workings of Windows still is a mystery to me.

%systemroot%\System32\Drivers

you answered his question :-)

is that location of any practical use? Instaiiing drivers must be more complicated then just saving them from that directory and copying them back after reinstall. I am just guessing the inner workings of Windows still is a mystery to me.

There is no mystery about it. If you have them and they work, why search the net for them?

There is no mystery about it. If you have them and they work, why search the net for them?

I agree. I reinstall windows a couple times a week, finding drivers can be a pain in the a**. If it works let me know.

Edited by shanenin

Hi Bill

Most of the time, I find that the default drivers that XP installs, are all thats needed for most devices. Usually it's wireless or special feature keyboards & mice that need other drivers, and programs likle Roxio or Symantec will install their drivers when you reinstall the program software, so I don't find many devices I need to have special drivers for after reinstall.

The driver location you got here...well, ya the drivers are there, but you can't just copy them back to this folder after reinstalling and have them work. They have to have their parent program install them, or have the driver installer package that the drivers come in do it, and it's not found in that folder.

So unless this person has kept copies of any special driver package installers, you're going to have to redownload them so they can be installed properly again.

For me, all I need for special drivers are for my KB & Trackball and my scanner, so I save the driver installers for these on another partition. All others are installed when I reinstall programs or devices, or the default drivers work just fine, you'll probably find the same for this guys machine too I bet.