Spring Cleaning Fire - Little* Out Of Control

Well, today I decided to burn a year old burn pile. It was composed of mainly bamboo, which burns very easy and extremly quick. I didnt realize how quick bamboo burned. Within 60 seconds of lighting the pile I knew I was in trouble. Almost the entire pile of bamboo caught fire within seconds, and started to ignite the grass near by. Thankfully the wind blew the fire straight toward a beaten path. This helped me gain some control over the pile. I had a shovel and was wacking at the front line of the fire.I probably could have contained the fire but, it's always better to be safe than sorry, so I used my cell phone to dial the fire department.

I have burns on my hands and face from using the shovel to put the fire out, and my plastic cell phone cover (which I was using while whacking at the fire) is partialy melted onto the phone.

The fire department, which I want to applaud to for comin very quickly, (for a volunteer dept.) contained the fire.

Anyway, here's my advice. Know what your burning and how it burns BEFORE you burn it.

Oh, here are the pics.

I am so glad you are relatively ok. You are so lucky it wasn't worse, both for your self and the surrounding area!!!

Try using some Aloe Vera on the burns, you can get the 99% pure stuff in a tube at the health food/vitamins/supplements section of store. The brand I use is Lily of the Desert, 4 oz for about 4 or 5 dollars. Anyhow it helps the burns heal without scarring. Of course if the burns were really bad, do as the Drs tell you.

I am surprised that anyone in Texas or the other extremely dry states are even allowed to do any type of fires or burning outside.

I am glad you survived it all.

Pat

God bless everyone.

I'm glad your OK and everything is also the same.

Always keep a six pack of ice cold beers around. When shaken, they make good fire extinguishers. (learned from experience :wacko: ). But always save one for afterwards. Thats when it'll taste the best!!!

Dang, man! Glad you're ok. "Man's fascination with fire" goes back to that first burning stick, started by lightening, and burning the fingers of that poor man... HooRay! For our HEROS, the men that put it all on the line for us everyday. Firefighters are the greatest!

based on you still typing this post i fathom that the burns was only 1st degree

Yup. LIke a really nice sunburn.

Anyway, the upside is this is less I have to mow.

So glad you and the house are ok!

I was more worried about the new car :D

Oh, and TT, Ive got more to burn so Ill invite you to the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody take the matches away from that boy!

I'm with Joe! :D Hoo boy, that could have been so much worse. So glad you and the house are ok!

Liz

Agree with Liz here - take his matches away hehehhehe

That was a DANGEROUS thing you did BubbaBob, but as everyone else has stated, I am glad that you are OK - But thank GOD you had the sense to call for help - Cell phones SAVE LIVES - I was told by my uncle (a Captain - Spencer MA Volunter Fire Dept.) that if you cannot get the fire out in 3 minutes, get the hell outta there!

Crazy Things that I have seen regarding fire:

ONE

My stepdad and my neighbor John decided one day to burn a maple tree stump out and used Napta to do it, and let me tell you she was BIG - everyone was worried around us because of the smoke, and we had hotdogs and marshmallows that night, and for about 3 summers after that before my stepdad removed the stump and built a fireplace.

The Fire Department asked us to get a burn permit for those summers, and even when we did that, we were asked when the FD responded that we put it out (and a few times they couldn't even FIND where the smoke was, it was so bad)heheheheh :)

TWO

Went camping with a friend of mine who has Downs Syndrome and his family on a hot summer weekend about 3 years ago - They have a Coachman 5th wheel travel trailer. There were warnings about "fire danger" all over Vermont that summer because of dry conditions.

That night, we had a fire in the site fireplace and then put it out - The next night, same drill. The morning we broke camp, my friends parents packed everything up and reconnected the trailer to the hitch, released the water and sewer and power hookups, and then reminded me to have them switch the refigerator to LP

before pulling out - we did that, went to the dump station, emptied the tanks, and then took off.

Problem: His Dad had decided that the wood we had burned for a couple nights was "good wood" and he wanted to take it home it finish burning it: They had 2 LP tanks on the trailer and 1 LP tank for a small grill stored on the outside of the trailer in a compartment that is under the trucks bed. We DID NOT KNOW that there were embers that were still hot and glowing, and he put that wood in the truck and when we were going down Interstate 89 to my home, we didn't think about what happened NEXT - The embers caught FIRE - and I saw them smoldering, and I said:

"We have a Problem Mr. Poulin....." (No Response)

"Got a Fire here Mr. Poulin...." (No response) I Then YELL:

"FIRE - Stop the Truck NOW"....and was about 30 seconds away from bailing from the truck - I am scared to death, because we have so much gas on board that if that had NOT been seen, the whole thing would have been GONE - The wind had fanned the flames so bad too. We pull over, then cant find the Extinguisher....It had been moved from its brackets, we then used water to put out the fire then I let Mr. Poulin know that what he did was kinda stupid and was adament that we leave the damn wood on the side of the road and notify the police of the wood being there........

Course, my friend Jay says "Hey Pa, get out the marshmallows, because we can roast them now....." and I say "Jay......WE almost were the F___ Marshmallows" and he was worried that I had used a swearword in front of his parents, but If I didn't we would have BEEN the marshmallows.......They of course forgave me for that, but said if I hadn't been fast on my feet - well, we would have been pushing daises at the cemetary!! Thank GOD for my seeing that!!

THREE

When In college, friends of mine were left with about 8-9 bottles of old cologne. My friend Ernie and I were roomies - and he liked insense but didn't have any to burn, so he took an empty bottle and lit the contents of a half ounce of cologne - made the room smell GOOD, so he did that again and again until all the extra cologne was gone. My friend Jeff (a **AHEM** FIREFIGHTER) said: "Lets see what happens when we do THIS - Give me your Lighter" Then he produced a can of LYSOL SPRAY and hammered the button and then LIT the F___N stream and FIRE shot out from the nozzle, and almost flash burned me in the process!!

I will spare BT users from the reaction I gave him other then to want to whip his butt with something - I gave him some hell about how STOOPID what he did was - and was pissed because he could have hurt me :(

Fire is NOTHING to mess with, so be CAREFUL folks - can hear DAVE saying something to these guys heheheheh

Brian

Edited by baker7
I'm glad your OK and everything is also the same.

Always keep a six pack of ice cold beers around. When shaken, they make good fire extinguishers. (learned from experience :wacko: ). But always save one for afterwards. Thats when it'll taste the best!!!

An extra 2 to hold in each hand to help the burning sensation. Then after they warm up a little you'll have an extra 2 to drink

Mark

I just had a nice fire while cooking dinner. My microwave burned up while heating my corn. What a stench. Goog thing it's trash night. I tossed it out next to the trash cans. I bought it about 7 years ago. I guess those Taiwan el-cheapos don't last long. :D

I just had a nice fire while cooking dinner. My microwave burned up while heating my corn. What a stench. Goog thing it's trash night. I tossed it out next to the trash cans. I bought it about 7 years ago. I guess those Taiwan el-cheapos don't last long. :D

they dont make them the way they used to ....crappy and only lasted a year

Whoa, Terrorist! Trying to imagine what smelled worse, the burnt corn or the microwave frying...I imagine the combination of smells was pretty icky

Liz

Lots of Febreze took care of most of the smell. It took making a pot of coffee this morning to better the aroma in here. I wnet out to the garage and dug through some of the equipment from my old bar and found a small Goldstar microwave. I let it sit overnight to let the moisture dry out before trying it this morning. I now remember why it was out in the garage. The timer doesn't work. I put a bowl of oatmeal in and set it on 2 then took the dog out to do his business. I came back in and the microwave was still running. Oatmeal all over. :D I'll have to get one of those cooking timers and only use the microwave while I'm inside..