My wife's compaq has eaten it's 2nd HDD this years and now she is pointing fingures at me because I keep all my stuff backed up. So I am in active get ot of the Dog house mode. If any you can recommend a decent external (yes I know I can build but I don't want to besides my wife would not trust it as much) I have looked at:

Seagate external (160 gig)

EZ Bus 60GB USB2.0 Portable Hard Drive (60 gig)

DiskGO! 80 GB 3.5" USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive

and s few Lacie products.

I need a little help

TIA

Preston

thanks guys I was leaning toward the seagate.

Preston:

I would go with the External drive that has the most storage for the price - Seagate's are good, I have a 8GIG in Defiant, and she works well.

Of course, if you can get away with it, I would get as much storage as possible - Like a 200GIG or something - just stay away from the maxtors - they can suck ;(

Take Care :)

...Lets hope this get you OUT of the doghouse - sucks to have the wife harping on ya :angry2:

Brian

Edited by baker7

hi preston you may need a few bunches of flowers

or a holiday in the bahama's to get back on the inside

i have 2 compts and have used seagate on both

ever since ive had a compt

weather that is good ot bad im not sure

both are 5 years old and it looks

as tho are going to last another 5 years

as you well know im a novice when it comes to compt

but i swear by seagate

marty

marty

Marty She settled for a 4.5 star hotel in Manhattan, NY for a weekend and a New Dooney & Bourke purse wti matching wallet. (did you know you have to register a purse?) The purse alone cost me $400. Before you all call me hen pecked (though no hen has lips like my wife ;) {this how we got 6 kids}) This is a combo gift she finishes her MBA this week so I promised her a trip the purse was a bribe.

Preston

marty

Marty She settled for a 4.5 star hotel in Manhattan, NY for a weekend and a New Dooney & Bourke purse wti matching wallet. (did you know you have to register a purse?) The purse alone cost me $400. Before you all call me hen pecked (though no hen has lips like my wife ;) {this how we got 6 kids}) This is a combo gift she finishes her MBA this week so I promised her a trip the purse was a bribe.

Preston

Sure you aren't up to building something ? Pretty simple, just four screws, two cables to connect. Same effort as installing a new drive.

Check out my post here about NAS with built in FTP, HTTP etc

http://forums.g4tv.com/messageview.cfm?cat...threadid=564003

marty

Preston

Sure you aren't up to building something ? Pretty simple, just four screws, two cables to connect. Same effort as installing a new drive.

Check out my post here about NAS with built in FTP, HTTP etc

http://forums.g4tv.com/messageview.cfm?cat...threadid=564003

I'm up to it but in her mind purchased is better. It is like this I forgot to take the trash out to the curb one week in 3 years now to my wife I'm unreliable and must be reminded every week. So I have destroyed my share of Hardware who amongst the tech savy has not but to her that make my builds suspect. She is a little better now since a friend who happens to be my SA (sys admin) told her he does not alway know how to approach things and how much he has messed up in the past month. I geuss the degree is the difference. SHe never questions my ADs because I have a degree in advertising.

Building may still be a option Pete.

Preston

Well, no real building, just minor assembly.

I think they both work USB2.0 as well as network.

Just buy the drive and box and put em together and put it back in the box.

Nice if you have a need to access files from work ; no need to put em on flash drive or leave your pc on and run server software . Just save the files there and put on a username / password for access.

The weird thing is that all the preassembled NAS I looked at none of them have this internet accessibility.

Well, no real building, just minor assembly.

I think they both work USB2.0 as well as network.

Just buy the drive and box and put em together and put it back in the box.

Nice if you have a need to access files from work ; no need to put em on flash drive or leave your pc on and run server software . Just save the files there and put on a username / password for access.

The weird thing is that all the preassembled NAS I looked at none of them have this internet accessibility.

That is really something to consider since I do run a FTP server It would give more flexability. Thanks Pete you have neve steered me wrong.

Preston

{sorry hit the wrong button . Pete}

Edited by Pete_C

You can also use cryptainer mobile to install an encrypted secure storage area if you want even more security. Probably several other options.

You could have one FTP folder with one name and password for her and set as a mapped drive on her computer and another for you and yours and you can access either over FTP from anywhere on the net.

I like the SMC Barricade, ever since I found out that it has a built in no-ip.com , and dydns.org and a couple other dynamic dns services client . No need to even have a PC check in to update it if you go on vacation or if they change your IP while you are at work one day.

And no need to learn any new software , since it is all embedded and accessed through a html setup over USB.

Found out that Dlink DI-604 supports Dydns.org autoupdate today; but not No-ip.com free account like the SMC

Edited by Pete_C

I am not one to support lying to the wife, persay, but if you buy an internal HD and a case and put em together, no one ever has to know that when they entered the house they were in 2 separate boxes...

That being said, seagate or western digital are always reliable.

the best part about "building" your own is that hDs go on sale all the time. I was able to buy a western digital 250gb HD for only $80 on sale at Best Buy one week, and an external enclosre was only $50. check your papers every week, and youre bound to come upon a sale for internal HDs sooner or later, they are seemingly always on sales just in different stores... then again, if youre dropping $400 on a purse and feeding 6 kids, I suppose an extra $50 - $75 for a pre-built external isnt all that big of a deal...

however, as i am now discovering, i built my external to use with a laptop while i was studying in india, and now that i am home, although i already have 320 gb in my machine i am running out of room, so i am now going to reconvert my external back to an internal and stick 'er in the machine... if you buy an external from the get go, you wont have this availability, should you ever need it...