There might be one consideration and that is will your mobo run with just one stick of ram or do you HAVE to have the ram in pairs?

It probably will be fine but you might want to check.

except that you can't go Dual Channel

WRONG! I started with 512 MB PQI Power PC3200 in mine and bought another stick a coupla months later. I was lucky cause it was Identical to the first. I put the 2nd stick in the proper position for dual channel mode and booted it up. The little bios messages were running by then BAM the system said Dual Channel Enabled.

As long as the sticks are the same and are placed in the mobo correctly dual channel can still be enabled even on cheap memory like mine.

I bet you'll find that 1G of RAM is probably all you're gonna need really, unless you do some intensive muti-tasking and ton's of high end video graphics.

People tend to think that if the system runs fast with 1G, it'll be really fast with 2G, but the difference you'll notice won't be all that much if at all. At that level of installed memory, the speed of loading apps, building web pages, and other things that relate more memory with speed, just won't get any quicker.

I guess for what I need 1GB might be enough, but what about taking into fact that I'll be using onboard video. I believe that the MSI board can be set for 64MB or 128MB.

You really shouldn't notice much difference the RAM the onboard video uses, but with the cheap prices on RAM these days, 2G....why not eh ;)

I doubt you'll need to go to 2G, but it's up to you and whatever you can afford I guess.

If I were you I'd get a mobo without onboard video and get a cheap video card. That'll make a huge performance difference. Even the cheapest video card makes a world of difference compared to onboard. It gives the RAM and CPU power back to the rest of the system. a sound card makes a little difference too.