Have You Ever "spring Cleaning" Your Hard Drive?

I do once in a while. i noticed i 5% of space in my hard drive. so i decided to "spring cleaning" my hard drive. and it amazing that i have a lot of junk that i dont use and dont use it for a long time. Even in some old game i have. so i delete most of it and got about 65% space back to me.

Do you just spring cleaning your hard drive? if you dont, can you just try, you never know how much of junks you have.

I upgrade my various Linux boxes every 6-12 months as new distros are released and do a clean install so my hard drives are in relatively good shape.

On my one windows box at home, I keep it patched, scanned, defragged, to the best of my ability........egad.....windows is way too much work:-)

Every time Windows goes bad it's time to reinstall and recover for me. But my XP Home SP2 completely shattered that. With Me it was a monthly reinstall on the Gateway then downgraded to 98se which would last much longer but still needed a fresh install every few months. My sidewinder been running on same install of XP SP2 for over a year now. That's even after a virus attack with 2 viruses at once ( Norton sucks it died first thing thank you AVG for saving my system and thank you system restore). I just cleaned some crap out of my Sidewinder the other day. The Compaq has been runnin on a new install of XP SP2 for about a month and a half now. Only a few things on it. Coupla games, some flash cartoons, a few videos, and some music. No need yet on it.

Oh...Oh.... :blink:

I got my system in 2001 and have never done a thing to it other than add another 256 stick ram. I've had 70 to 80% free space on the Hard Drive for yrs. :blush:

But things seem to be running ok so far.... :rolleyes: Maybe it's time I should have a look inside the case just to check anyways. As for a clean re-install... :unsure: .... :blink: .... :wacko: ....oh boy...I don't know...heh. :blush:

My SweetBrit made me do a clean install a year ago. I could still kill him... (he said it was too messy to tidy up proper) It took me forever to re-install some of my favorite programs and stuff... One good thing was formatting a D drive for storage... BTW, he has a 60gig HDD that is full. My 30gig is still running about 60% free space. So who's the messy one?

Everyone vote..... Should I let him move some stuff over to my extra space?

Every time Windows goes bad it's time to reinstall and recover for me. But my XP Home SP2 completely shattered that. With Me it was a monthly reinstall on the Gateway then downgraded to 98se which would last much longer but still needed a fresh install every few months. My sidewinder been running on same install of XP SP2 for over a year now. That's even after a virus attack with 2 viruses at once ( Norton sucks it died first thing thank you AVG for saving my system and thank you system restore). I just cleaned some crap out of my Sidewinder the other day. The Compaq has been runnin on a new install of XP SP2 for about a month and a half now. Only a few things on it. Coupla games, some flash cartoons, a few videos, and some music. No need yet on it.

The best I have ever gone on a fresh install of Win98SE without any major issues is 18 months. A couple of VxD BSODs are minor and don't give me concern.

My SweetBrit made me do a clean install a year ago. I could still kill him... (he said it was too messy to tidy up proper) It took me forever to re-install some of my favorite programs and stuff... One good thing was formatting a D drive for storage... BTW, he has a 60gig HDD that is full. My 30gig is still running about 60% free space. So who's the messy one?

Everyone vote..... Should I let him move some stuff over to my extra space?

Tell the messy one to clean his hard drive up or get a slave drive for storage. Never mind letting him mess up your setup. :thumbsup:

I upgrade my various Linux boxes every 6-12 months as new distros are released and do a clean install so my hard drives are in relatively good shape.

I usually can't resist a clean install of the latest release, but as I found with breezy, the latest might not be what's better for the hardware than the current release....laptop downgraded to hoary. :blink:

I seldom run windows, so nothing to clean up there. :thumbsup:

Probably do another "fresh start" for Dapper on both the desktop and laptop...hardly any work to it anyway since I practically mirror my ~/ to an external drive